Leo2A7

CalAB

Ok, here is an article published in the official magazine of the Eurosatory 2010.

Eurosatory Daily, Monday 14 June, page 4:

More powerful Leopard makes public debut.

by Christopher F. FOSS

Being shown for the first time in public this year's Eurosatory is the latest German Krass-Maffei Wegmann (KMW) Leopard 2A7+ Main Battle Tank (MBT), wich has been optimised for conventional military as well as urban operations.

The latest Leopard 2A7+ is an upgraded Leopard 2A6 armed with the Rheinmetall 120mm L/55 smoothbore gun. It would also be possible to upgrade the Leopard 2A4/Leopard 2A5 with shorter 120mm L/44 gun to the latest Leopard 2A7+ standard.

KMW (Stand OUT E251) says the Leopard 2A7+ is a modular upgrade package that can be optimised to suit users' specific requirements.

Theversion shown at Eurosatory is the top-range Leopard 2A7+, wichhas all the potential upgrades and a combat of about 67 tonnes.

The upgrade package includes a roof-mounted KMW FLW 200 Remote Controlled Weapon Station (RCWS) armed with a .50 MG and 76mm grenade launchers. For higher survivability, additional passive armour has been provided over the frontal arc as well as along the sides of the hull and turret. Belly armour is fitted as standard together with major internal changes to the hull and turret. Situational awareness is provided through a full 360 degrees for all crew members and commander, gunner and driver have enhanced thermal cameras.

For use in high ambient temperature, an air-conditioning system is mounted in the turret bustle and an auxiliary power unithas been fitted to the right rear of the chassis. This allows the main subsystems to be run with the main MTU diesel shut down. An infantry telephone is fitted at the rear of the hull and, if required, a dozer blade can also be fitted.

Leopard 2A7+ including the advanced armour package has been developed and tested in close co-operation with the German Army, wich is expected to upgrade at least part of its fleet of 225 Leopard 2A6s and 125 Leopard 2A5s to this standard, funding permitting. Other members of the Leopard 2 Club have also shown interest.

• 4 weeks later...
Nope. RoE violation; use the least amount of force that is sufficient to remove the threat.

So the Bundeswher/Politzei can't even use sharp sticks, to uh, "move" protesters along??

"What are we supposed to use? Harsh language?"

"Yup."

"F**k."

Or you could use the Zip/South Park method:

"Oh my God! It/they're coming right at us!"

"Don't worry lads, I've got the paperwork sorted."

..... So a burst from the Co-ax would definitely be frowned upon then.......?

:diable:

Yes. You can see this escalation during a fire fight in Pristina where a KFOR Leo 2 commander is confronted by a car firing AK-47 / AKM at him

He takes shelter behind the turret bustle bin and uses his side arm. They keep firing. He yells what I take it is a fire order (the German equivalent of, "car 30m, direct front, coax go on") and the coax shreds the car.

I'm sure the gunner was just itching to select main.

Some info I found on The Armor Site.

The new Leopard 2A7+, presented by KMW on July 14, 2010 as a new generation of one of the most successful main battle tank designs in history, incorporates a modular protection kit, increased mobility, improved sustainability, enhanced recce-abilities and an even more precise deployment of its various weapons.

The Leopard 2A7+ is an upgraded Leopard 2A6 armed with the Rheinmetall 120mm L/55 smoothbore gun. It is also possible to upgrade the Leopard 2A4 or Leopard 2A5 with the older Rheinmetall 120mm L/44 gun to the latest Leopard 2A7+ standard.

The new MBT, which was tested and approved by the German Bundeswehr (which is expected to upgrade at least part of its fleet of 225 Leopard 2A6s and 125 Leopard 2A5s to this standard, funding permitting), brings to the scene a new concept in modularity, providing a weapons system that actually allows operations in urban terrain as well as high intensity operations.

Next to the unmatched IED and mine protection, the modular protection concept allows for additional passive armor over the frontal arc, as well as along the sides of the hull and turret, plus the integration of an urban operations kit that also offers a 360 degrees protection against RPG's.

Target oriented firepower

The capability to fire the new programmable 120mm HE-round (for the Rheinmetall 120mm L/55 smoothbore gun) enables the crew to engage targets behind cover and within buildings. Fitted with KMW’s FLW 200 Remote Controlled Weapon Station (RCWS) armed with a .50 MG and 76mm grenade launchers, which is operable under protection, the LEOAPRD 2 A7+ is assertive in both built-up and non-built-up terrain.

Increased mobility

The LEOPARD 2 A7+ benefits from an increased mobility by a newly developed final drive, a new track, enhanced torsion bars, an improved brake-system and an adaptable dozer blade to clear obstacles for following vehicles.

Enhanced sustainability

Furthermore it is equipped with a high-performance cooling unit and an APU (auxiliary power unit) to accomplish a 24-hour battle day. The redesigned operational concept allows the crew to utilize the new capabilities efficiently.

Enhanced reconnaissance and situational awareness

The commander and gunner benefit from the 3rd generation ATTICA™ thermal sight, near field surveillance at day and night as well as day and night cameras for the driver.

Tank damaged – crew alive

The Canadian Army uses the LEOPARD 2A6M in Afghanistan. This version corresponds to the A6 version, but it also has enhanced protection against mines and booby traps. The fact that this protection is extremely effective was demonstrated in November 2007. Taliban fighters carried out an attack on a Canadian Leopard 2A6M-CAN with a large booby trap. The tank was indeed damaged, but the entire crew survived the attack. Following a repair the Leopard 2A6M-CAN is now back in use once again.

Man do I ever want one of these :eek2:

Yes. You can see this escalation during a fire fight in Pristina where a KFOR Leo 2 commander is confronted by a car firing AK-47 / AKM at him

He takes shelter behind the turret bustle bin and uses his side arm. They keep firing. He yells what I take it is a fire order (the German equivalent of, "car 30m, direct front, coax go on") and the coax shreds the car.

Well, that was one of the 1st firefights these men ever had. I just know it second hand, but the initial reaction of a mg-gunner there was more like: You realy mean fire?

It may have occured to him that he is going to kill people at a range where he could cleary see their faces...

Well the Lada incident was a bit different. The MG3 bursts came from a Fuchs standing behind the Leopard. Rumors has it that the Leo crew was not inside their tank. However, this was one gigantic mess back then...

• 4 weeks later...