Bugreports 2.538

Grenny

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
In "Tank Range" don´t work (can´t open) "PiranhaIIIc- AGL" and "Eagle IV - Lemur cal.50"

How making them palyable ?

We just found out. Apparently the path and file names of these scenarios is too long for a certain routine in SB Pro. This will get fixed in a future version. A possible workaround is to rename the scenario files to something shorter; this may eventually help to cut the file path length to suit the limit of the text buffer.

In the start menu, type explorer %COMMON_APPDATA% and then go to eSim Games\Steel Beasts\Scenarios\z_reserved\Range.

There, change the scenario file names to something shorter, e.g. "Pir.sce" and test if it will run now. Depending on the language version of Windows this may or may not solve the issue. This is the only workaround possible. If this doesn't help you're out of luck and need to wait for the next update.

I just attempted the standard Gunnery scenario in a M1 with horrible results. It appears that the ballistic solution for HEAT is incorrect. The HEAT rounds would all fall several hundred meters short. I tested it several times with the same results - I even kept my same "laze" when switching from HEAT to SABOT in an attempt to prove that it was the ballistic solution for HEAT that was the problem (Hit 100% with SABOT keeping the same range as before).

just found this :sonic:

I build a simple test mission for test the AAA capabilities of the T-55 and the unit don´t fire the heavy machine gun (dshk) to targets. I only place that type of ammunition for the tank (so I "force" to fire with that MG) Also the unit don´t fire when I select "shoot here" :( (If I try coax it fire to the ground without problems)

I try the same with T-72M1 and the unit fire without problems the NSVT to the ground (shoot here) or against air units (fire at will)

hope it can be fixed. Thanks! :diable:

I just attempted the standard Gunnery scenario in a M1 with horrible results. It appears that the ballistic solution for HEAT is incorrect. The HEAT rounds would all fall several hundred meters short. I tested it several times with the same results - I even kept my same "laze" when switching from HEAT to SABOT in an attempt to prove that it was the ballistic solution for HEAT that was the problem (Hit 100% with SABOT keeping the same range as before).

Your probably having trouble because your indexing the standard HEAT round, and the M-1 is

incorrectly loading HEP in place of HEAT rounds. The HEP is a much slower round made to destroy fortifications and only has a secondary anti armor use. Even when you index the correct round, it is very difficult to hit a moving target with the HEP round. Try using the home or end key until the ammo display in the upper right corner of the screen stops flashing. It wont be much easier, but at least you'll have the proper round indexed.

Mog

• Moderators
Your probably having trouble because your indexing the standard HEAT round, and the M-1 is

incorrectly loading HEP in place of HEAT rounds. The HEP is a much slower round made to destroy fortifications and only has a secondary anti armor use. Even when you index the correct round, it is very difficult to hit a moving target with the HEP round. Try using the home or end key until the ammo display in the upper right corner of the screen stops flashing. It wont be much easier, but at least you'll have the proper round indexed.

Mog

Well, this is probably hair splitting but in regards to the phrase "incorrectly loading HEP", this is not entirely true: regardless of what some manual says (which I am not saying is incorrect), HEP *is* HESH for all intents and purposes, and it does everything that HESH can do because it is simply a different in naming convention over what the Brits call "HESH" -- it is the same type of round. Therefore, HEP can and will work against light armor, no armor, bunkers, troops and even some older tanks, so there is nothing incorrect about using HEP/HESH against these targets. Having said that, I imagine that the use of HEP in the US Army was very limited to the degree that there were restrictions on when to use the round because of its limited supply, so it was more of a special purpose round, doctrinally speaking.

But anyway, yes, what Mog says is correct: the problem is that there are no audio cues from the crew that mention HEP/HESH, all they say is "HEAT" at the moment, so people are indexing what they hear the crew say with the Del key, when they should be pressing Home or End instead (just watch for the flashing ammo type in the upper right). If your ammo type in the upper right is flashing then you have the wrong ammo type indexed.

• Moderators
just found this :sonic:

I build a simple test mission for test the AAA capabilities of the T-55 and the unit don´t fire the heavy machine gun (dshk) to targets. I only place that type of ammunition for the tank (so I "force" to fire with that MG) Also the unit don´t fire when I select "shoot here" :( (If I try coax it fire to the ground without problems)

I try the same with T-72M1 and the unit fire without problems the NSVT to the ground (shoot here) or against air units (fire at will)

hope it can be fixed. Thanks! :diable:

The T-55's HMG is a LOADER'S machine gun, not a Commander's machine gun and as such it currently does not work (just as no other loader weapons do not function). Just look in the T-55's ammunition dialog and you will see that there are no 12.7mm HMG rounds available to give to the tank because, as mentioned, it is an inoperable loader's MG.

In any case, this will not be fixed until the point in which (if ever) loader's machine guns are utilized. The reason they aren't used yet and probably won't be in the near future is because there would be a little problem of the matter of a loader needing to be inside doing his primary job of loading the maingun, when the AI that everyone loves to hate might instead be operating the loader's MG, or the issue of a loader's MG firing at things while the maingun is simultaneously being reloaded (which would naturally be unrealistic).

In the real world, the loader's MG is seldom used so it has been a minimal issue in SB thus far.

thank you for your reply Volcano! Now I understand how it works in game :redface: The tank model is so nice that I was waiting for the dshk to open fire at any moment :sonic: Is good to know is not a bug and is normal the way it is.

but please check this:

Just look in the T-55's ammunition dialog and you will see that there are no 12.7mm HMG rounds available to give to the tank because, as mentioned, it is an inoperable loader's MG.

I just take some screens and there is the option for the HMG ammo for the T-55 (first one at editor), also in game is the reload option (second screen) that is why I thought you can use it in game and was a bug...

screens here: http://yfrog.com/2st55ammooptionjx

but please DON`T remove the gun from the model :shocked: Is good to have it there at least for admire it :biggrin: (I remember when in the classic Operation Flashpoint they remove the 3d model of the heavy machine gun from the tank turret because it was unusable for the players and after that the tank "lost" some of the beauty)

and just a little sound detail I found when I was in the Leopard 2 A5DK and I use "manual mode" the turret/cannon didn´t do the nice creaking sounds like the one in the STRV 122, Leopardo 2E or M1 etc... Is like they put some oil in the turret so it don't sound any more hehe hope the sound can be added to the A5DK is a very nice touch and you can't have any doubts that you are in manual mode :sonic:

thanks Volcano!!

• Moderators

Ahh, it is listed in the ammo list. OK, I think the HMG ammo (but not the weapon model) needs to be removed from the ammo dialog then as I can see how it would be misleading. I thought it wasn't listed, but I guess I was wrong. Thanks for the info on that.

In regards to the sound issue you mention (Leo 2 not having the creaking hand crank sound), actually this is by design. Apparently the Leo 2's manual mode is powered by an electric engine which is relatively quiet. Some times attention to detail can make it seem like there is a bug. :(

Edited by Volcano

• Members

Actually, Leopardo and Strv 122 shouldn't squeak either - that is the bug. These have an electric emergency mode, so you're operating gun and turret with a joystick and no handcranks. This applies to all Leo 2 after version A5; 2A4 and before still have hydraulic handcranks.

thanks Volcano and Ssnake for reply me. Glad to help in some way with the ammo detail :redface: (thanks for NOT removing the dshk from the T-55, I can feel eternally guilty if that happens!)

I understand now about the function of the turret in manual mode :diable: Maybe some kind of electric sound (more loud than the normal one) can replace the actual creaking sounds for those units. Or maybe a more easy "fix" I think can be just play an "empty" sound and if we want to have that sound back we can place it in the mod folder so we can hear it or not. Don´t know if it´s posssible, just an idea ;)

thanks again and feels really nice to write and receive an answer from the developers! :thumbup: :thumbup: