Sean

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The map still is work in progress. Its main point is to illustrate the complexity of terrain that can be generated with Terratools - across several different simulations. IOW, this map must also behave consistently in all diffenrent simulations. If one of the supported simulations doesn't support the collapse of trees you would develop a discrepancy between how the virtual world looks like in one simulation and another.

Eventually the trees can be made collapsible as well, and we'll update the map then. For the moment the main purpose of the map is to wait for your feedback whether the frame rates are acceptable.

The map still is work in progress. Its main point is to illustrate the complexity of terrain that can be generated with Terratools - across several different simulations. IOW, this map must also behave consistently in all diffenrent simulations. If one of the supported simulations doesn't support the collapse of trees you would develop a discrepancy between how the virtual world looks like in one simulation and another.

Eventually the trees can be made collapsible as well, and we'll update the map then. For the moment the main purpose of the map is to wait for your feedback whether the frame rates are acceptable.

Yeah about that...1 leo and 2 m2a2's ONLY on the map, looking east across the plains towards the mountains at some buildings in gunner mode... 19 fps.I'd hate to see what happens when a fight goes on.It also took 1 min and 25 seconds to exit from the 3d world to get to the map editor from a test run of only 3 tanks.Not very impressive IMO.I'm running a 2.6 ghz AMD Dual core machine with 3 gig of ram on win7 with a ati 4870 graphics card.....just sayin...

edit...strange thing is,when I slew away from those buildings,it jumps up to around 30 FPS

Are there any instructions for installing 2.5xx? I've looked, and cannot find.

I have purchased the license, uninstalled my current version, saved parts 2-9 to my desktop, tried to run part 1, which then prompts me that it's missing 'disc 2'.

What am I doing wrong?

• Members

Does the part01.exe run and extract the files without trouble (so you get the error message later when you try to run the Setup program), or does the error message come up during the extraction of the files?

If the latter, I suggest to check the exact byte size of each file and download those again that do not match the 100,000,000 Bytes size exactly. You can see the exact file size through each file's properties (right-click...).

• Moderators
Yeah about that...1 leo and 2 m2a2's ONLY on the map, looking east across the plains towards the mountains at some buildings in gunner mode... 19 fps.I'd hate to see what happens when a fight goes on.It also took 1 min and 25 seconds to exit from the 3d world to get to the map editor from a test run of only 3 tanks.Not very impressive IMO.I'm running a 2.6 ghz AMD Dual core machine with 3 gig of ram on win7 with a ati 4870 graphics card.....just sayin...

edit...strange thing is,when I slew away from those buildings,it jumps up to around 30 FPS

Well, it doesn't sound like you have a super computer with the setup you describe. That map has a lot of objects on it and visibility (if I had to guess) is very high. Some people around here only get 8 fps on the regular maps and take nearly 5 minutes to load any mission, so 19 fps and 1.5 minutes sounds pretty reasonable since that is the most complicated map that there is. You should of seen it a few months ago when it was getting 2 fps on your setup. ;) Anyway, it will improve in the future I am sure...

• Members

I don't think that there's dramatic improvement possible with the computer being the same. Al implemented those optimizations that gave most benefit with relatively little effort, but we know that there are oly little gains to be expected from a lot more work on optimizing the performance under the specific circumstances of a highly complex map.

The good news is, as computers are becoming faster and faster it's going to be less of an issue.

Raven, the entire map is (compressed) over 340 MBytes large, so of course it takes a while to load. One could think of a number of performance optimizations - but at the price of losing correlation in the terrain, which is actually the point of the whole thing. TerraTools generated maps can have a much higher tree density than the native SB Pro engine can deliver and pretty much any building geometry (while a native SB Pro map is limited to what the object library provides). All that comes at a price. The purpose of including it in SB Pro PE is to figure out if today's PCs are already good enough to run scenarios in this environment.

Define todays PC and what are you benching your platform against?,are you saying we should be looking at min specs of what?3ghz min?more ram?,what are we looking at to run this map properly??Seems to me its the map that needs tailoring not our pc's.But if thats not going to be the case what should our rigs consist of??

Define todays PC and what are you benching your platform against?,are you saying we should be looking at min specs of what?3ghz min?more ram?,what are we looking at to run this map properly??Seems to me its the map that needs tailoring not our pc's.But if thats not going to be the case what should our rigs consist of??

he is saying that you are determining what the min specs are: you are the lab rat with regard to this map...

I'd be interested in the feedback on this too as I'm about to submit a bid for a "Battle Lab" with 30 - 40 machines, all of which need to run SB Pro and VBS2 "comfortably" for the next three years (sorry Army doesn't just let me go down the street with my credit card when I think my current machines are sluggish).

So I need to buy boxes now that will support our needs into the future (which I guess is a CT(+) / BG (-) on a map similar to the "Terrastan" sample).

I'm looking a CAT 6 wiring with a Gigabit switch (and Gigabit network cards) but I suspect network speed isn't going to be the bottleneck.

• Moderators
I'd be interested in the feedback on this too as I'm about to submit a bid for a "Battle Lab" with 30 - 40 machines, all of which need to run SB Pro and VBS2 "comfortably" for the next three years (sorry Army doesn't just let me go down the street with my credit card when I think my current machines are sluggish).

So I need to buy boxes now that will support our needs into the future (which I guess is a CT(+) / BG (-) on a map similar to the "Terrastan" sample).

I'm looking a CAT 6 wiring with a Gigabit switch (and Gigabit network cards) but I suspect network speed isn't going to be the bottleneck.

I purchased a PC from "Cyberpower PC", pretty affordable a year ago: an Intel i7 quad core CPU @ 2.93 GHz, 12 Gb RAM, two ATI Radeon HD 4800s using CrossfireX (linked together basically for faster FPS, or use the second for another monitor) and it still runs everything quite comfortably, which is an understatement. I get 60 fps at all times in SB, with about 40 fps on the Terrasim map). It was about... $2,200 or so at the time and is certainly much cheaper now (or better equipment can be had I am sure). Maybe that helps...