City Builders Rejoice.

congo

After a detailed look at 2.5,s map builder I'm quite impressed and it takes a lot to impress me.

And the Lord sayeth on the seventh day let there be apartment buildings and hi-rise complexs and let us not forget our humble brethern of the desert for there shall be mud brick dwellings for all Berbers and Bedouin. And grain storage for the plowmen and light poles for the electricians (though electricity had not been discovered yet) and then he rested.

yeah, but imagen how long it gonna take now to build a city. seen the light poles? telefon poles? fences? jeeeessus. one village will take weeks to build.

And the player minutes to flatten... :P

Yea No Shit K(a)T(ie), working on those villages in a large map is gonna be pain.

You could add more tools to the map editor in the future - like select, rotate and delete multiple objects - this would come on pretty handy.

I was really impressed with all the new building additions. I wish I had the time to

Construct a city. I agree, more tolls work make it easier and probably faster.

• Moderators
You could add more tools to the map editor in the future - like select, rotate and delete multiple objects - this would come on pretty handy.

Well sure, more of "anything" would be nice - and its not like it is not implied that easier map editor tools would be "better". However, we felt that people would rather have more map objects and buildings even though we didn't have time to totally redo the whole map tool interface. Or should the map tool interface come first before anything new is added? I guess either way, people won't be happy. ;) I am kidding.

In all seriousness though, I don't see the problem. You only have to make a town and map ONCE, then you build scenarios off of it. It is not as if you have to build the town each time you want to make a scenario. Spend one hour and make a town, then make a scenario off of it and done. If you want to add more to the town, go back six months from now and spend another hour on it and refresh the map in the scenario that uses it and done again. Repeat as necessary.

Edited by Volcano
typo

If you want to add more to the town, go back six months from now and spend another hour on it and refresh the map in the scenario that uses it and done again. Repeat as necessary.

Hi Volcano, I think I've somehow missed this feature in the past, so when I've updated a map I end up re-designing the mission each time. How do you refresh a map that already has a scenario/mission added to it?

Cheers,

Q

So we're supposed to remove the new elements?

;)

If you do ... you die ...

Only joking mate ... you promised something special and you delivered, I like everything you did for this upgrade. Not sure I am going to attempt a big city so some of the larger city blocks may not get used much but I assume this is the first of several new additions of this type, now we need some more commercial buildings in different sizes and shapes, garages, small fuel or gas tanks and perhaps a larger aircraft hangar type or two (I love airfields !)

A very happy bunny ..........

Cheers guys!

I can't believe I missed this time-saving feature! :)

Q

yes, this was a HUGE leap forward... but, i must ask, before this feature, I used to just re-pick the map from the mission editor (that feature existed), but you would have to reselect the area from the original terrain map as you would if you were creating a new mission and get the grid coordinates as precise as possible. Then you would just select EVERY route, way point, vehicle, map graphic -- everything and just move it all over to a known point on the map, i.e. a road junction or other map feature to "fine tune" all of this back onto the roads, etc. lol, you wasted a ton of time even without this new/older feature, dood. :biggrin:

lol, Ssnake...mission editor.

P.s. Quagmire (great name), et al this technique is still useful at times ;)

I finished this small town a week or so ago already but I hadn't peeked to this subforum.

The shot in the last but one picture was fired without sights. I popped my head out of the commander hatch, aimed the barrel to the general direction of the T-55, then reached back inside to pull the trigger. The round entered just above the tracks and ignited the tanks's unprotected ammo storage. I think I peed just a little in my pants! What a game.

SS_05_02_50s.jpg.7a0ebedcaff893d93ae3ac5

SS_05_04_01s.jpg.b14fa1c064009ed72038665

SS_04_54_07s.jpg.b46f5a77163ffcf32f5ba28

SS_05_28_16s.jpg.94192a33b8349e373eb0115

SS_05_20_53s.jpg.d1d2e4726d129032ab9de1b

SS_05_02_50s.jpg.7a0ebedcaff893d93ae3ac5

SS_05_04_01s.jpg.b14fa1c064009ed72038665

SS_04_54_07s.jpg.b46f5a77163ffcf32f5ba28

SS_05_28_16s.jpg.94192a33b8349e373eb0115

SS_05_20_53s.jpg.d1d2e4726d129032ab9de1b

What map did you build it on?

Which height map? I took a 9x9 km piece out of Dartmoor. I did all vegetation, ground clutter, water, rivers and roads myself too. The height map is very hilly so making missions on it requires a lot of planning. I bet M60s are going to have a tough time there.

You should upload that ter. file as the city is quite nice.

Thanks. Maybe when I've done some more tweaking. There are two small towns and 5 villages on it now.

I'm going to make a series of missions on it too. I've got three ready, but only one of them I'm completely happy with (see picture below).

SS_04_24_50.jpg.1b393ff4be0d1ad6812342d2

SS_04_24_50.jpg.1b393ff4be0d1ad6812342d2

Ummm... yeah. Sorry about that. :) All the town and village names are taken from that same universe. Falls Church, Dunwich (which they took from Lovecraft's universe, for sure!) Evergreen Mills, Canterbury Commons. And the town under attack is Greyditch, but I removed the name in order to de-clutter.

It's really hard to come up with names, you know?