Leo2A4 Loader's Machine Gun in Pro PE

Dräger

Did a search and found a post from 2005, nothing recent.

Perhaps its only the skins I'm using, but the MG3 is there on the top of the turret, is it useable from the loader(F?) position in Pro PE? I've messed around some with no luck.

Those damn enemy infantry are a pain using the gunners view only. Even overriding with TC, you're still switching viewpoints.

• Members

The loader's MG would be accessible if there was an accessible loader's place in Steel Beasts in the first place. Traditionally we have not implemented it because, aside from looking around and playing with that MG there would be little to nothing to do for the loader (just like the driver's place that we didn't model until two years ago).

• Moderators

I would say that a loader rarely uses his LMG, if at all. He has far more important things to do like load the maingun. The loaders LMG serves a far more useful purpose as a backup to the coax should it fail.

Maybe in a MOUT environment where the maingun is not getting loaded very often would a loaders LMG be useful to model, but I can see all sorts of problems if the user selects the loader and stands up in the hatch and the maingun fires. While the user is occupying the LMG position the maingun will not get loaded. This would be even worse in multiplayer where a user could jump in and out of the tank and occupy said position. Maybe one day it would make sense if the entire laoders station was modelled including the loading sequence so the user could drop down and load the gun. The reloading sequence could be a minigame of sorts, click this, click that, click and hold the round as you drag it to the maingun, quickly quickly! If the entire station is not modelled then it would not make much sense to model just the LMG I think.

The reloading sequence could be a minigame of sorts, click this, click that, click and hold the round as you drag it to the maingun, quickly quickly! If the entire station is not modelled then it would not make much sense to model just the LMG I think.

That would be really neat - along with some 3D crewmembers :) sometimes I'm having a "ghost town" feeling inside of the tank, with no visible crew members ;)

I understand the issues with not modeling the reloading sequence from the loaders standpoint, and I'm also aware the loader would rarely use the MG3, however, it's there for a reason... main coax overheats, goes down, in a pinch if enemy infantry is threating to overrun, and backing out or exposing your position to enemy armor is not an option, well then, the loader mg may be your last option.

I think it would be pretty much accepted that if you're manning the loader MG, and the AI fired the main gun, you'd have to come off the machine gun, switch back to TC, gunner, or driver to allow the loader to then reload.

No big deal really, it just seems too tempting seeing that beauty sitting on top of my Leo and not being able to get that sucker rockin.

That would be really neat - along with some 3D crewmembers :) sometimes I'm having a "ghost town" feeling inside of the tank, with no visible crew members ;)

Though I do love this sim thus far, I was really surprised to NOT see my TC the first time I popped the hatch and went to F8... though I understand this platform is mostly a military sim, it does take away somewhat from the gaming and immersion standpoint, not seeing at least the TC when he's up.

...Maybe one day it would make sense if the entire laoders station was modelled including the loading sequence so the user could drop down and load the gun. The reloading sequence could be a minigame of sorts, click this, click that, click and hold the round as you drag it to the maingun, quickly quickly! If the entire station is not modelled then it would not make much sense to model just the LMG I think.

Like in the Chall2 simulator at CATT:

push a button to select ammo, push a button on the breech to load the ammo,

push a button to select the charge bag, push abutton on the breech to load charge bag

push a button to select a vent tube, push a button on the breech to put the vent tube

Close the breech with the lever.

When all light are green, the gunner can fire.

Well the loader does more than just load the main gun, he also is a extra set of eyes for the crew, whether under armour or standing up. And I think this would be the most useful reason for mod'n this position. After all, where do we all go when there is only one MBT left in the mission, "the F8 View". Now with a loaders position we can now really help that lone tank and from a realistic position.

I myself would like to see this position.

There is however a lot of other positions I think would help us out in the sim. Like some of the "f7" positions of the BMP's, BTR's. Jag's. or even the gunners position for that cool AFV. some of the TOW gunner positions of the AFV carrying them would be a great add-on.

Adding some more in veh positions I think would extend the life and playability of this fine sim.... more though,just how difficult is it?

Ya I know it's on the list................

• Moderators
Well the loader does more than just load the main gun...

That is true of course, but what I was trying to say is that given that the loader's *primary* role is to load the maingun --there would be potential problems if a user occupied the position and and the maingun required loading. Either it would happen automatically while the user could remain on the LMG or while scanning the environment, or the gun would not be loaded until the user left the position. Either way doesn't make sense unless the entire position was modelled.

Drag and drop loading eh? like it

And at least six seconds if you "drop" the round, while the loader screams with pain and nurses his poor foot. (while giving away the tanks position)

Maybe space as breech close? and if you really want yell "Ayuuuupppp!"

But yeah using the loader's MG would be cool....

M1 in MOUT, 3 MGs spewing hot lead,

Daskal's dream for a perfect Thunder Run comes just that bit nearer....

• Members

If we should ever be as crazy as implementing a clink'n'drag loading, I also want the cleaning cloth action, managing the sub cases, the option to rip off the bottom from the catridge with subsequent propellant spillage and a flash fire if there are still KE stubs in the breech basket, NBC switch and manual breech operation, and managing the indexing and the various fan switches plus coax maintenance and manually firing it in manual mode. Oh, yeah. Handling the spent brass bag.

This is crazy. Leave that to America's Army.

Nonetheless......that 'extra pair of eyes' idea is definitely a good one. Just make the guy have to go down into the turret for a round to be loaded, even without any animations or any other feedback (barring the current one, sound, of course.)