Tell Me I've Missed Something New!

Tango29

So there I was, late evening, decided to call up a tutorial for a bit of gunnery practice. Dialed up the Leo 2A5 for giggles, and settled into "gunnery mode." Tutorial starts, and...Jesus wept! What was that??! The G-- D-- targets are SHOOTING BACK!! There goes my GPS, suspension, full stab...what's goin' on here?! Is this a new feature that I've totally missed, or are my icons in full rebellion against the State of Tange29? Any clarification most welcome, before I launch a counter-revolution! :)

Well you have “Missed Something New!“ namely the several posts in various locations about the demos being a bit too realistic and false efficiency measures of having two opposing sides use the same gunnery range at once. :)

e.g.: http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=14535

Personally, I think its just an application of “train hard, fight easy” :D

• Members

We'll fix this with new tutorial files that you can download soon.

It was caused by a bug which has been fixed already and which would occur only with rather old scenario files. Of course we haven't touched old tutorials that proved their value over time, and we didn't expect problems there so they didn't receive the attention in the beta test which, in hindsight, they should have received.

Allthough Im all for maximum realism, immersion I also think some people are missing the point. A game with such a steep learning curve like SB really does require specific training before anybody can be considered half competant. Were the tutorials not designed for people to learn the game/practice their skills in the simulation, with specifically designed scenarios and instructors used to help train for operations.

Irish

• Members

Never mind. Like I wrote, it was not intentional but a bug that we didn't find until it was too late. I don't think anyone here is seriously suggesting that targets should shoot back right from the start and the the best tutorial is one where you start outnumbered 10:1. It's more of a "builds character" type of joke. ;)

OK, gents, thanks for the update. Ah, me: more time required on the forum! :)

Actually, once the splash of cold water took effect, I rather like the concept. Went back this AM and tried it again: took hits, but got 'em all and managed a 100% score. Oh, that I could do that on a TGIF!! :sonic: