Codmeter stick (stop me if you've heard this one...)

Ralphie

Installed update (v2.5....)

Paid my $25, updated my licence.

Installed CM Runtime V 2.4.

Now the CM stick won't read. I get "Box Event HW 410-535 (1053175) occurred" over and over and over and over again in the Code Meter control panel events tab.

I uninstalled CM Runtime V 2.4.

I uninstalled the SB update.

Then I reinstalled everything. Still Tango Uniform. It worked before--and now it doesn't. I'm about to unload 1x magazine 5.56 NATO into my f-ing computer.

Any other suggestions before I pull triggers?

2.4 or 4.20a?

If you did the “preferred” option of:

1. Uninstall earlier version of SB

2. Install SB 2.538.

It should have done the CodeMeter 4.20a install as well as part of the SB 2.538 installation.

Sorry--I meant 4.20a. It was late and I had a hard time seeing past the blood and range gushing into my eyeballs. And yes, I uninstalled my earlier version of SB.

Also--I think I'm up to date on Java. I just updated the thing maybe a couple of weeks ago.

I mean, did something get all cocked up when I updated the license? The stick has been squirrely on the two machines I've owned with two different operating systems (XP and Windows 7 Professional).

I even downloaded the 64-bit version of the CM Runtime directly from the Codemeter website. I turned off my firewall and virus protection, and I turned it back on. Nothing. I've tried every USB plug on the machine. Nothing.

My Java's up to date. I haven't dicked around with any other settings or hardware on the machine.

(End of technically useful information; rant follows)

I don't expect anyone to lose sleep over this because it's no big deal in the scheme of things--but I am extremely vexed right now. My $125 game worked yesterday. Now that it's a $150 game, it doesn't.

</rant>

Note: If anyone wants to serenade me with a teeny, tiny violin, my favorite song is "My Heart Bleeds Purple Piss." ;)

on my XP machine I saw something similar. The updated codemeter runtime had decided to use an IP address (network) which didn't really exist. It was trying to access 127.0.0.1 instead of the 192.168.1.101 which that machine does have. I changed the IP address in the pull down tab and it fixed the problem.

Heres what happened to me,maybe theres a clue.

I went to the site to get my new licence,the site told me I needed to update to the newest version 4.20a,it did and I saw my new licence in the window,I then proceeded to install the new 2.538 upgrade and it procedded to instal the eailier version of the codemetre..???....which failed.I was however able to launch the game and it shows all was updated.Could the conflict of the two versions wanting to overight be causeing the problem?Dunno.

• Members

The CodeMeter support team has several times pointed out that you should make sure to install the CodeMeter runtime software with administrator privileges (Vista and Win 7 users: Hold the Shift key, then right click the setup program, and select "Run as Administrator" from the context menu. UAC may ask if this is okay, confirm it.

The point here is that the CodeMeter service will run with the set of privileges under which it was installed (which actually makes sense from a security point of view). This may cause problem if it needs to call a function which however is protected against riff-raff like the owner of a computer (people like you and me). So, give it Admin privileges and things might run better.

The CodeMeter support team has several times pointed out that you should make sure to install the CodeMeter runtime software with administrator privileges (Vista and Win 7 users: Hold the Shift key, then right click the setup program, and select "Run as Administrator" from the context menu. UAC may ask if this is okay, confirm it.

The point here is that the CodeMeter service will run with the set of privileges under which it was installed (which actually makes sense from a security point of view). This may cause problem if it needs to call a function which however is protected against riff-raff like the owner of a computer (people like you and me). So, give it Admin privileges and things might run better.

I just tried it--and got an internal error: "Internal Error 2324.2 C/Windows/system32/WibuCMweb64.dll" I think there's a clue in there--".....CMweb64.dll" in the System32 folder. Hmm....

Update: Tried it again, and it installed. Restarted the computer--and still no go. The CM support person didn't know what to make of the activity log message. I sent him the "CmDust-Result.log" like he asked.

Looks like it's beyond the scope of our forum to fix. If I learn anything useful out of this, I'll post a debrief and AAR in case anyone runs across the same wacky activity log messages that I did.

Or, it could just be a loose nut behind the keyboard who needs his headspace and timing adjusted with a pipe wrench. I still haven't dismissed that possibility ;)

on my XP machine I saw something similar. The updated codemeter runtime had decided to use an IP address (network) which didn't really exist. It was trying to access 127.0.0.1 instead of the 192.168.1.101 which that machine does have. I changed the IP address in the pull down tab and it fixed the problem.

Networking Side bar:

127.0.0.1 does exist, its the address the machine uses for itself .

This will work (as an IP address, no idea if CodeMeter uses it though) while sitting at the machine itself for the machine itself. This is independent of the IP address (in your case 192.168.1.101) which has been set either manually (i.e. a static address) or supplied by the router via DHCP.

So Maj. FUBAR brought up a good point when he and I were skyping; my CM stick is being held together with 100mph tape after it was damaged a month ago by a clumsy chihuaha. I taped it up and it worked fine until I upgraded to CM Runtime 4.2. Maybe the damage has finally caught up with me.

Ssnake, I sent ESims an email from the website to this effect under the "Get a new dongle" link, but I'll let you know here as well.

I probably needed to get a new dongle a month ago, but hell--it was working fine taped together! :debile2:

I can't wait to kill tanks!

my CM stick is being held together with 100mph tape after it was damaged a month ago by a clumsy chihuaha.

Ah well then “there’s your problem!” - maybe. :)

But I suspect it probably doesn’t help if the USB stick is damaged.

I’m guessing you have one of the later “one piece ones”?

Earlier ones came in two pieces with a reversible cover to the protect the dongle in transit.

Without trying to muddy the waters further, if it is a 2 piece one and the outer cover is what is damaged then it shouldn’t matter but I’m guessing the “damage” is of the chewing variety?

Ah well then “there’s your problem!” - maybe. :)

But I suspect it probably doesn’t help if the USB stick is damaged.

I’m guessing you have one of the later “one piece ones”?

Earlier ones came in two pieces with a reversible cover to the protect the dongle in transit.

Without trying to muddy the waters further, if it is a 2 piece one and the outer cover is what is damaged then its shouldn’t matter but I’m guessing the “damage” is of the chewing variety?

It's the two-piece stick. That dog busted the stick WIIIIIIDDDDE open--I saw circuit board!

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Got my new CM stick in the mail, and everything seems to be working fine!

The take-away: If your dog jumps out of your lap and knocks the CM stick out of your USB drive and bends the thing so much that the case splits open, don't bend it back into place, apply 100 mph tape, and think you've fixed it permanently. Just cough up the 35 bucks and let the boys in California send you a new one.

Also, don't shoot your computer unless you are certain of your backstop. :gun:

These are valuable lessons I have learned the hard way, but if I can save just ONE SB player from making the same mistakes that I have, it will have been worth it.

(PS: I'm available for speaking engagements on this vital subject for a reasonable fee. Just bury US$500 in a coffee can in the yard beneath your kitchen window, and you will be contacted :debile2:)

"Hose 'em, Lenny!"

• 2 weeks later...

In case it's of any comfort to someone: my cat - which I still love dearly - squirted inside my 700€ graphics card (under the metal back plate where I didn't see the liquid) in July while I was doing some sleeving work inside the case. The card was destroyed. I'm still trying to find someone who'd be willing to try and see if it can be repaired but chances seem slim.

Rusty_EAH5970.jpg.292ed161da4bd54fde5434

Rusty_EAH5970.jpg.292ed161da4bd54fde5434