Question about internet access

2ndbn4thinf

I used the search function, I really did.

Anyway i seem to recall that after i installed from my dvd the SB exe did not ask for internet access, However, since 2.483 it won't run if i deny access.

My question is, if my internet went away would i have to uninstall and reinstall

from my dvd in order to play?

Would someone please clarify what are the internet requirements?

Thanks.

Alex

• Members

Yes, you can. SB Pro and CodeMeter are fully intependent from an internet connection. Neither SB Pro nor the COdeMeter runtime "phone home" and transmit personally identifiable information. The CM stick does occasionally connect to a timeserver to synchronize its clock, but even that isn't essential.

Im sorry if I am a little dense here. I recently restored my pc to factory image. I reinstalled the latest version of Steel Beasts and Code Meter runtime software. When I installed the codemeter software my McAfee Anti Virus told me it wanted to access the internet. I blocked its access to the internet, however when I try to start Steel Beasts it is telling me the Dongle is not installed even thought it is. Did blocking Code meters internet access cause this? On my previous install I dont remember Codemeter causing McAfee to pop up saying it wanted internet access which is one of the reasons I blocked it. Call me paranoid lol.

Edit to add,

Codemeter runtime doesnt see the stick but I know the computer sees it because it registers when I plug it in.

• Administrators

What does it show in the webmin?

Like I said, the codemeter requires local access to 127.0.0.1 or possibly your local ip address. If your firewall decides that ANY access to a local or loopback connection is the "internet" then you will be out of luck. You will then need to get with McAfee to get help with that.

The codemeter should still work if you block access to the internet itself. If you are concerned about what it is doing, then watch it. Last time I tried it, it syncs the time with a time server. That synced time is required for time based licenses.