Request: JSGME

Superbus

Hi, a new guy here

Now that there's likely to be new skins for the new 3D models, I'd like to request all you skilful texture artists out there to familiarize yourself with JSGME. It's a simple file management tool which is used to swap mod files with a single click. Almost all sim communities (subsim.com etc.) use it extensively. All that is required of you is that you pack your fine mod with the Steel Beast directory structure intact, replacing "Steel Beasts" directory name with the name of your mod. That's all there is to it.

I've made many of your best mods JSGME-compatible by myself in the past, by adding the correct directory structure inside the zip-file. A lot of people want their mods in an easy-to-use package. I haven't been able to distribute these of course, because they are not mine. Someone asked for these JSGME-compatible zip-files again, so I thought why not encourage you to start using JSGME instead.

Download JSGME here: http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products-jsgme.html

This is what it looks like: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/Nogard/ModImage.jpg

I'm making the new T-62 skin mod compatible right now, I can post a screenshot of the correct directory structure inside the zip when I'm done.

I'm more than happy to help if there are any questions. :o

JSGME_T-62.jpg.84f23d81b531af2a49d8a4999

SS_02_55_36.jpg.877b91db8d07ce835db38a87

56e83c903cfb8_SS_03_39_37copy.jpg.b247cf

56e83c905a14c_SS_03_40_41copy.jpg.bdc354

56e83c905ed45_SS_02_56_49copy.jpg.85c4b0

JSGME_T-62.jpg.84f23d81b531af2a49d8a4999

SS_02_55_36.jpg.877b91db8d07ce835db38a87

56e83c903cfb8_SS_03_39_37copy.jpg.b247cf

56e83c905a14c_SS_03_40_41copy.jpg.bdc354

56e83c905ed45_SS_02_56_49copy.jpg.85c4b0

Edited by Superbus
typo

I forgot to mention there appears to be a filename mismatch in the D variant of the T-62 skin. The .dds file name has not been correctly renamed. Nothing a skilled end user cannot correct himself (rename it to T-62.dds). The other three are ok.

Yes, as Andym said there are many additional tricks JSGME can do such as save a list of all the mods (the number of mods can go on to hundreds with some sims) so one can uninstall and install the whole list with one click. It also knows how to back up and restore everything if needed.

It is great indeed, Sir.

You should place JSGME.exe in your "Steel Beasts" folder. This folder's location depends on your operating system. For Windows 7 the path is User name\My Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts. If you have multiple instances of SB installed, they all use this. That's really handy.

If you look at the first screenshot in the first post of this thread, you can see that I have made a new folder called JSGME MODS there too. Do not put JSGME.exe there, though. Put the stuff you download there and extract them in their own sub-folders which you can name whatever you like. Again, you can see an example of this in the first screenshot. The mod had 4 different skins for the same tank, so I created 4 texture folders respectively. The picture is of the zip-file contents but the JSGME MODS-folder content is identical. Now when you extract this zip in JSGME MODS, the 4 skin mod folders are created automatically.

Please note Steel Beasts already has a folder called "Steel Beasts\mods". That's the target directory where JSGME moves the mods as you click the activation [>]-button in JSGME. So don't ever put anything there by hand, let JSGME move mods there.

I hope this was at least somewhat useful.

---

Edit 1: I attached a screenshot of JSGME.exe's location in Win 7.

!BACKUP and !INSTLOG are automatically created by JSGME, so is jsgme.ini. The folders contain backups of the modified game files and a log of all file operations JSGME has done.

You can also see that I have given Kingtiger's cool new CV9040 UN skins the same treatment and made it JSGME-compatible. :) It's the same skin 4 times over, so I can apply it as an autumn, desert, winter or woodland skin with a single click of a mouse. To do all this without JSGME would be a mess, because over time I would forget which skins are original and which are modified and I would have to use the mission editor to find out.

(Edit 2: I just noticed I have two CH Control Manager folders for my SB joystick in my system, what the...) :(

JSGME_exe_location.jpg.ae429c66ec3139d5e

JSGME_exe_location.jpg.ae429c66ec3139d5e

• 4 weeks later...
It is great indeed, Sir.

You should place JSGME.exe in your "Steel Beasts" folder. This folder's location depends on your operating system. For Windows 7 the path is User name\My Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts. If you have multiple instances of SB installed, they all use this. That's really handy.

If you look at the first screenshot in the first post of this thread, you can see that I have made a new folder called JSGME MODS there too. Do not put JSGME.exe there, though. Put the stuff you download there and extract them in their own sub-folders which you can name whatever you like. Again, you can see an example of this in the first screenshot. The mod had 4 different skins for the same tank, so I created 4 texture folders respectively. The picture is of the zip-file contents but the JSGME MODS-folder content is identical. Now when you extract this zip in JSGME MODS, the 4 skin mod folders are created automatically.

Please note Steel Beasts already has a folder called "Steel Beasts\mods". That's the target directory where JSGME moves the mods as you click the activation [>]-button in JSGME. So don't ever put anything there by hand, let JSGME move mods there.

I hope this was at least somewhat useful.

---

Edit 1: I attached a screenshot of JSGME.exe's location in Win 7.

!BACKUP and !INSTLOG are automatically created by JSGME, so is jsgme.ini. The folders contain backups of the modified game files and a log of all file operations JSGME has done.

You can also see that I have given Kingtiger's cool new CV9040 UN skins the same treatment and made it JSGME-compatible. :) It's the same skin 4 times over, so I can apply it as an autumn, desert, winter or woodland skin with a single click of a mouse. To do all this without JSGME would be a mess, because over time I would forget which skins are original and which are modified and I would have to use the mission editor to find out.

(Edit 2: I just noticed I have two CH Control Manager folders for my SB joystick in my system, what the...) :(

I can not get this to work! OS Windows 7

Please elaborate what you have done, how far did you get or what seems to be the problem? I have the same OS (Win 7) here so that's not a problem.

Reloaded JSGME into the SB folder and its there:) I have used JSGME in Silent III and IV and V and from what I remember you have to run the game once in vanilla mode as it will create its own MODS folder within the game structure. Now here is the probelm: I download a mod from the SB files and it save it as a zip to a folder I have on my desk top named SB MODS 2.5. I will then copy it to the JSGME MODS folder and try to extract it using WinRar but still does not appear in the JSGME application template. I was able to extract the siknner mod but thats it.

No sucking of eggs:) I have tried everyway and I am now thinking that the mods I am after are not 2.5 or windows 7 friendly. I managed to catch one the Tiger in German markings.

I should point out that I have used JSGME before in all my SH games.

Edited by ottoramsaig
spelling