Static Helicopters

Quagmire

Hi guys, in the screenshot link to the gallery there are several choppers sitting on the ground:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/sbgallery/main.php?g2_itemId=16180

How is this achieved? I set them with either damaged engine or zero fuel, but when the scenario starts you just see them fall to earth! They don't stay on the ground. Any ideas? :confused:

Cheers all!

Q

It's just that you can't script it.

Ah, that's what I'm after... :(

When the scenario starts there were to be several choppers sitting on the tarmac as 'background traffic' so to speak.

Will this be available in future updates? Having the option to take off at the request of a trigger for example would be great.

Q

I am pretty sure that if you set the Helicopter with zero or 1% fuel at NAP of Earth altitude. It will land without harm as long as there are no routes. I will have to look to see how I actually did this. But it can be done.

However the chopper will be out of fuel for the duration of mission. Never tried to refuel them with a truck for later use, but that may work. Just trigger a route after a reasonable time after fuel trucks have been there. Just may work.

Take a look at Mission "White Pawn takes Dark Knight" located on scenrios that came with Esim CD. I belive I scripted static helicopters at the airport. Check my scripting of those units and you should find your answer.

Good luck.

ChanceBS

Stick it where you want it parked, Nap of the Earth and drop the fuel to zero. When you start the game it will drop to the ground, then the engines and blades will stop. Make sure you are clear of obstructions etc, as you would in real life.

You wont be able to move it after that, no fuel and no engines, so it's just eye candy from then on in but it will fall over dead when hit.

I am pretty sure that if you set the Helicopter with zero or 1% fuel at NAP of Earth altitude. It will land without harm as long as there are no routes. I will have to look to see how I actually did this. But it can be done.

However the chopper will be out of fuel for the duration of mission. Never tried to refuel them with a truck for later use, but that may work. Just trigger a route after a reasonable time after fuel trucks have been there. Just may work.

Hi Chance,

Out of curiosity I tried this and set a Huey at nap of the earth and 0% fuel (1% kept it hovering a bit). When it landed I had a fuel truck arrive alongside and after 10 mins fuel was transferred to around 40%. I then had a trigger set for a waypoint, and sure enough it took off and flew there!

So, until we get a 'land' option for choppers this is a workaround of sorts. Just have to be careful where they come down though, they're a bit all over the place when they drop. ;)

Cheers guys,

Q

• Members

Besides, the STANAG explicitly states, that

3. Environmental damage may be an inevitable consequence of operations. ... operational requirements are paramount

Due to equipment limitations there simply is no alternative to applying fuel damage (and repairing it) in the virtual environment. The environmental impact can be summarized as an emission of fuel state bytes into the nulldevice. The nulldevice is known to be devoid of life, be it florae or faunae, and if won't release ANYTHING that it ever receives. In conclusion no environmental damage is discernible.

Happy now?

:)

Happy now?

:)

OK, Greenpeace mod is cancelled :)

BTW, Choppers (at least the Chinook) do a 90 degree counter clockwise turn when they 'land' when you use the 0% fuel trick. Something to keep in mind if you want them to point to a certain direction.

• 2 weeks later...