Lieutenant Default forever?

Panta

I have installed v2.538 in two different machines in separate floors at home. In one of them, I went to the firing range and the only choice the *&%$!gr€ computer gave me was to train as Lieutenant Default. Is it normal? I remember having practiced as myself before. :eek2:

Cheers,

Panta

In the first machine I already had the identity created. I un-installed SBP 2.486 and installed 2.538 fresh over it. Both identities (mine) and that Lt's, appear.

On the second machine I installed SBP 2.538 from zero. There I cannot access to the possibility of inserting a nex identity. Both with XP.

so on the second machine is there a:

C:\Documents and Settings\Panta\Application Data\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\records ?

And if so can you create stuff there (i.e. do you have "write" permissions or better)?

I'd be tempted to copy the folder from the machine upstairs and put it iun that location on the machine downstairs.

CARE: I have assumed a user name of "Panta". If yours is different adjust to suit.

Oh and you aren't logged in as some sort of limited access user on the machine downstairs?

You know the machine upstairs is "yours" and you have complete control but the one downstairs is shared and access is limited so children, etc. don't install something they shouldn't or break it, etc.?

Nope, both are set as mine, no kids whatsoever and the cats are well trained to not to touch the keyboard, they just scratch my expensive monitors.

Same logging.

Well, I did everything that it was suggested to me, including leaving Tacops for my cats, to no avail. But I also have to say that all my OS are in Spanish, something I utterly hate but cannot avoid, since I live in a Spanish-speaking country, thus the paths and names of the folders vary even between computers...:decu:

I ll better play upstairs if I want to use that profile as a gunner.

Thanks, anyway

• Members

Use the method I described in that other thread to find the directories you're looking for. In the first chapter of the user manual the different variables are mentioned, e.g. APPDATA. So you can open the Windows start menu, then click on "Run..." and type in

Explorer %VARIABLE%

where "Variable" is to be substituted by the variable listed in bold print on pages 3 and 4. (Notice the two % characters, they are essential here).

But I also have to say that all my OS are in Spanish, something I utterly hate but cannot avoid, since I live in a Spanish-speaking country, thus the paths and names of the folders vary even between computers...

But on your two machines, regardless of the language, the paths are identical?

Can’t you set your machines up to use English (or other language) via regional settings, or did the supplier set it all up in Spanish assuming that was being helpful?

But on your two machines, regardless of the language, the paths are identical?

Can’t you set your machines up to use English (or other language) via regional settings, or did the supplier set it all up in Spanish assuming that was being helpful?

The problem is that the OS itself is in Spanish, and you can change the language of some things but not all of them. OS come in different versions, I suppose, and here they're in Spanish (I always complained, to no avail). I got some troubles a longtime ago updating Cpt.Lundsford´s DECISIVE ACTION. The update needed the folder named PROGRAM FILES, but the OS had installed the game by default in its Spanish version: ARCHIVOS DE PROGRAMA. When I found the problem, I could run the update without inconvenience.

Fair enough.

I guess the alternative is to import the machine from an English speaking country (probably not the cheapest option).

Back to the issue at hand though.

If the two machines have the same user login then the paths should still be identical (regardless of the words used in the actual path) shouldn't they?

Namely the Spanish equivalent of (assuming "panta" is the user account):

C:\Documents and Settings\Panta\Application Data\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\

The words wont be the same as that necessarily (although I'm guessing the Spanish for "eSim" is "eSim") but the two machines should have the same.

If the one that doesn't work has:

C:\Documents and Settings\Panta\blah blah\blah blah\Application Data\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\

Then that maybe the problem?

Actually it would be far cheaper to buy just the OS in English...:)

Now I am seeing a possible cause of the problem, mostly due to my own incompetence. It happens that following the example of some Gent from the antipodes, I decided against ole Ssnake's advice about installing the new version on a clean machine, and kept the old version in another folder, in case my US chaps with whom I use to play online, decide that upgrading to 2.538 isn't big deal. A possible cause of malfunction? :redface:

It happens that following the example of some Gent from the antipodes ...

Perhaps, but I have five copies on my machines (1 x Pro, 2 x Pro PE ANZAC, 2 x Pro PE commercial) and I haven't encountered this issue.

One machine runs Win XP the other Windows 7 and both let me create new "profiles".

Some of the new stuff doesn't work in the older copies (e.g. hard to do a vehicle tutorial if it doesn't exist in the older copy) but that makes sense.

Sorry if I gave you a bum drum.

Sorry if I gave you a bum drum.

Never mind, anyway it was you (and also James) who gave me right arguments to buy SBPro, and I am grateful for that.

I want to use my 100% profile because I also play on map and watching the terrain when needed, not from the gunner's seat; it is a different game, more like a real-time evolved TacOps. :cul: SBP allows several layers of play, it's unbeatable in that sense.

cheers,

P.

• 2 weeks later...