The Attritionist Letters

TankHunter

Satirical stuff I presume...

This war doctrine and philosophy of fighting stuff so reminds of how they use the "case method" in MBA programs. Study the successes and failures of others and conduct post-hoc rationalizations. This processes is not without merit, but is also no guarantee that you'll know much about how to fight "the next one."

This article seems apropos to my thoughts: http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/07/ff_roadside_bombs/all/1

Thus, I suppose the "adapt and overcome" stuff in that article is in step with the "manueverist" perspective. In the end, people will "make it up as they go along" and we *might* obtain something truly generalizable out of it. In the mean time, the catechists need seeds for doctrine and thus the "case method" endures.

• 3 weeks later...
...Thus, I suppose the "adapt and overcome" stuff in that article is in step with the "manueverist" perspective. In the end, people will "make it up as they go along" and we *might* obtain something truly generalizable out of it. In the mean time, the catechists need seeds for doctrine and thus the "case method" endures.

anyone ever tell you how frigin' brilliant you are TarB? seriously. very succinct and on target. it must be the nature of man to try and rationalize around the influence of chaos; compartmentalize, repeat/correct and expect a certain result. there's always "unless x > 20 </= 30"...

in defense of monday morning quarterbacking though, test cases or scenarios help create the thought process to be able to analyze a situation and apply lessons learned. but there's always a factor of unidentified influences -- "chaos".

regarding the subject of the article you linked TarB, the main issue seems to be that we are on the defensive against IEDs -- a reactive posture thus losing all initiative. bomb goes boom. we create a defense. they adapt. bomb goes boom, ad nauseam. centuries old problem, new weapon.

Good stuff TankH