Hedgehog

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It depends a lot on which army you're in. There are NATO standards for international ("combined") calls for fire, but there is no standardization at the national level. I've just discussed this very issue with an artillery staff officer this monday. It's ... a complex issue.

How about MBT's?

For me I would like some 60-70's stuff. M60, Chieftan, Centurion, and the T-55,62. They would make some good missions. The AMX-30 is also in this time frame, how ever I dont think it got to fire many rounds in anger as the above.

Ummmmm, The M-60 or the Cent'n would be tops on my list.

How about MBT's?

For me I would like some 60-70's stuff. M60, Chieftan, Centurion, and the T-55,62. They would make some good missions. The AMX-30 is also in this time frame, how ever I dont think it got to fire many rounds in anger as the above.

Ummmmm, The M-60 or the Cent'n would be tops on my list.

Same here. M60A3, T-62, and Centurion top my list.

Does Pro PE have 1970's model T-72s? Those would make good counterparts to the tanks mentioned above.

• 3 weeks later...

As far as actual items I'd like to see added: A GPS receiver (or GPS readout that can be called up as a popup) on all vehicles that traditionally carry one. I know in th CV9040 there's a GPS in the commander's position that actually reads current grid, but haven't found it in any other vehicle yet.

A compass or compass indicator.

A radio command that makes your friendly platoon leaders report their self-location.

The selection to show a constantly updating map in the mapscreen that displays ONLY friendly vehicles, not enemies- but with the ability to add threat icons manually based on friendly spot reports (like FBCB2). Only vehicles that actually carry FBCB2 should receive automatic friendly position updates (and should receive enemy icons after a realistic delay)

Friendly AI platoon leaders that will send realistically accurate (or inaccurate) grids in spotreps and sitreps when they spot an enemy.

The idea being that vehicles that ACTUALLY have FBCB2 (or similar) should be the only ones that receive the wealth of situational awareness currently afforded by the map function- and even then, the current map puts enemy icons out WAY too fast, updated way too often, and a bit too accurately.

The other part being that as it stands now, since the map is too accurate and too swiftly updated, it's too easy to call artillery accurately. There's a reason the FISTV exists- it is the only vehicle with a truly accurate target-location sensor (insofar as spotter vehicle self-location and directionfinding goes, thanks to the inertial navigation system).

A BFIST would be nice, too.

Also, the call for fire page currently will empty out all your data when you switch from... I want to say when you switch from fire for effect to adjust fire, but it might be either the firing battery size, or the munition type, I don't remember. I just know that as it is, it does not support a properly formated (US-style) call for fire- which SHOULD be mission type, size of firing unit, target location method, target location, and LASTLY target description, protective posture, sheaf/ target shape and size, and munition desired. If you input your data in that order, the form discards your data halfway through.

And like I said earlier, Copperhead/ Hellfire terminal guidance for the BFIST/FISTV would be nice (Hellfire can be handled as offmap artillery) Of course, that would require a slight change to the 'incoming artillery timer' to ensure the target was lazed the last 10-20 seconds of flight, and would have to check that the target was within the maneuvering limits of the missile (an egg-shaped template on the ground, basically). And of course the BFIST/FISTV would have to be able to change their laser pulse repitition code and make sure their guidance code matched what the missile/copperhead was set for. A fair bit of work, but it'd go a long way toward making the artillery more interesting and realistic.

As you can see, I'm big on updating the situational awareness/ battle tracking/ artillery spotting side of things. All of them are too simplistic right now, and too much info is just GIVEN to the player/trainee. You never have that good of situational awareness, and DEFINITELY not when you have no FBCB2.

From a training and scenario play perspective:

- Agree with previous regarding wider variety of "spt" vehicles, ditto ability to utilise transport vehicles (truck,chopper, APC) to lift and move misc inf units.

- On screen artillery/mortars. Include option of limiting not only the number of tubes available (on or off screen), but also the number of rounds.

- Ability to vary the number and ammunition loads of mounted inf.

- "Campaign" play - export final surviving orbat for scenario "A" and input to scenario "B" as the next mission of the operation.

- In mission UAV.

- Check/confirm armour/survivability of Tiger and HIND - both appear "soft" - add additional battlefield helo (HIP?, Blackhawk?)

- Ability to combine separate veh/equipment types to form platoon and company sized combat team, and then manoeuver as an organisation - example - tk tp plus attached rifle sects in APC, Fuel truck and FO vehicle (Clumsy, I know, but useful in either security scenarios or patrolling).

• Members
A GPS receiver (or GPS readout that can be called up as a popup) on all vehicles that traditionally carry one. I know in th CV9040 there's a GPS in the commander's position that actually reads current grid, but haven't found it in any other vehicle yet.

Leo 2A5 (that brown/amber display to the right of the TIS)

A compass or compass indicator.

The vehicle and turret icon in the lower right F1 view corner - Up is North. If you want a more accurate compass reading, I want magnetic deviation by vehicles and powerlines, and a function for at least the vehicle commander to dismount his metal horse to check the compass.

A radio command that makes your friendly platoon leaders report their self-location.

In preparation; however, go to the map screen and click the icon, and the position will update. This is the graphical equivalent of it. Alternatively, disable map updates and do collective training in a classroom to achieve this training effect.

* The selection to show a constantly updating map in the mapscreen that displays ONLY friendly vehicles, not enemies...

* Friendly AI platoon leaders that will send realistically accurate (or inaccurate) grids in spotreps and sitreps when they spot an enemy.

The idea being that vehicles that ACTUALLY have FBCB2 (or similar) should be the only ones that receive the wealth of situational awareness

* The other part being that as it stands now, since the map is too accurate and too swiftly updated, it's too easy to call artillery accurately.

* A BFIST would be nice, too.

* Copperhead/ Hellfire terminal guidance for the BFIST/FISTV would be nice

All these are reasonable and desirable suggestions. Like so many others. You see, it rarely is a question of technical feasibility or desirability of all these guggestions. Actually, some of them are on "The List" since 1997. It's just that we need to make prioritization decisions. I see some chances for your suggestions given that some of our army customers are beginning to ask themselves if they could utilize SB Pro for their artillery observer training. If that leads to a development contract, many of the things that you suggested may actually get implemented (because paid development will always take priority).

I also agree that our map is "too good". The problem is not just one of situational awareness, but also of utility. The map view also is the primary command interface, and at least in single player mode the player must often manage an entire company without the self-intelligence of his subordinates when transforming his orders into suitable tactical action. The player always is in at least one boot of every platoon leader under his command while wearing the boot of the "supreme tactical commander" at the same time (whatever the tactical level of the current scenario is).

Reducing the utility of the map screen means to introduce a lot more friction while the computer opponent doesn't have that problem. If you want realistic procedures, speeds, and accuracy, we suggest collective training "team on team" in a classroom environment with the map screen updates disabled, and a human player for at least all the combat platoons.

Also, the call for fire page currently will empty out all your data when you switch from...

Sounds like a bug. Can you please check when, exactly, this happens? I can then submit an "actionable" bug report.

As to the bug: in both .328 and .370 beta, when you change the munition type (from HE to ICM or whatnot), it drops any grid you may have input, and changes the mission type (adjust fire or fire for effect) to default value. Given that munition type is one of the LAST transmissions in a US (and I believe international) call for fire, that's a pain in the ass.

As to the compasses, yes, I meant for both navigational and artillery spotting purposes- and funny enough, the thought that "well, a magnetic compass isn't that useful on top a tank" occured to me, but I thought that the magnetic deviation and dismounting to compensate was TOO much to ask for. Simpler just to give them a working lensatic compass. But perhaps reinforcing bad habits, too. Best to remind guys to dismount!

... though some vehicles DO have integral compasses in them (largely laser gyro INS compasses... and mostly on artillery vehicles. I suppose the point is that it's NOT that easy to call accurate artillery fire from a tank- there's a REASON for the FO vehicles. I appreciate the readout from the G/VLLD on the FISTV, by the way).

But, just like the maps that need to be less 'gods eye view' for more authentic battle tracking, the line tankers and mech inf should have a more authentic navigation and fire control system

... would the Slant Range Calculation (SR-CALC) function on the PLGR be too much to ask? :biggrin:

• Moderators
As to the compasses...

Yes, in the pursuit of perfection I think the Holy Grail would be to put a number of things in place over time that would allow the removal of the turret clock "crutch" on higher realism levels. This would cause some level of realistic confusion and force the crew to use things in the 3D interior by holding down a key to glance at something like a turret clock gauge (or the equivalent there of; M1 gunners have to look over their left shoulder or below the GPCH for recognizable features in the hull such as the driver compartment, hydraulic reservoir or HNB). Azimuth would have to be done periodically by dismounting with a compass (or some other such method to spot check it). The result would be a point where situational awareness realistically varies depending on the vehicle.

I once read that if you ask designers to create a tank simulator without any compromises, they would end up designing the tank itself. The art of simulation design is about understanding limited fidelity. Even in multimillion-dollar simulators, compromises must be made. Designers have to consider cost vs. fidelity and processor time vs. fidelity. Additional trade-offs must be made between graphics, AI, algorithms, number of units and more. The basic rule in building a tank simulator is to never ask the operator what he wants because he too will end up building a real tank. Instead, ask the operator what he needs to learn.