Ideas list

Hedgehog

• Members
tanks can engage each other past 6km in some cases.

WTF!!!!!

:confused:

Well, there definitely is a trend for it - and at least in principle both ammo, gun, and fire control systems can do it. It would still be somewhat exceptional, but I think we will see an option for it within the next 18 months in SB Pro.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

-Show sprites for visible crew members such as unbuttoned crew, through windows or sitting in a jeep. This is so you can see where they are and if you've hit them (they fall down or disappear when hit would be nice).

I know I've mentioned this before but 3d crews in the vehicles, maybe they could be interactive,

So when your Gunner fucks up, you click on him and you get a satisfying thud of a size 10 boot, then he shoots straighter.

Though i'm guessing the Driver will suffer the most.

I find it a shame to have these nicely rendered interiors, only they're ghost tanks.

(Granted this is more likely for a commercial release, but if its implemetend in SB Pro it'll move from great sim to Uber kick ass sim)

• Members

Clearly, in a commercial game development project you would devote a pair of artist and programmer more or less exclusively to animated 3D interiors with crew members etc. - for us it's something that will eventually come, but we need a lot more time since we can't really afford this kind of monomaniacal attention to an embellishment issue which would primarily serve the immersion purpose but not much more.

Actually, I thought it was a bad idea to begin with since it would divert our attention and energy into a not too productive area of eye candy. I have changed my mind in the past years since there are some specific benefits for training in these virtual crew places - but even then, there are still a lot of other issues that are competing for attention with these 3D interiors and animated crews.

Add/change map objects:

- Darker water (currently is too light blue - needs to be much darker).

- Fences (two types - traditional boards and wire).

- Utility lines (traditional type rural/urban type, not high tension/HV).

- Add pre-made city blocks as objects - would include buildings, courtyard, sidewalks and pavement all around. Three types - one for Western Europe, one for Eastern Europe, one for Middle East.

- Add broken-down car as object.

- Add burned-out car as object.

- On the current set of rural objects (houses, barns), add some junk around them - old crates and scrap.

- Add bombed-out two-story building as object. Infantry should be able to go inside it.

WOW!! That will be really really amazing!!

Give us some more buildings, houses, office blocks, factories, smaller oil tanks, aircraft hangars' airfield buildings, docks and cranes. Just the basic shapes would be a good start, we can skin them as we see fit then.

How about a Tanker, Destroyer, be ambitious and give us a Carrier, LPH/LPD. Anything to give us more flexibility to create better maps. The trees and ground textures we have are great but there is a limit to what you can create from a Minarette and one big Middle East office block. And lets be honest, whatever you do create from what little there is looks awful, so nobody bothers to try any more.

With such a great map maker that has been the biggest disappointment for me, I might be tempted back to SB if that was done.

Ssnake, any chance you'll comment on some of these? :)

Civilians and their vehicles.

Combatants who look like civilians.

T-55s.

3rd & 4th sides.

Revamped urban scenario design.

Road wheels that go up and down. <-- I'm kidding!

I'll wait patiently for years if you'll just spill the beans!

Now that we're in July, can you comment? :)

• Members

It looks like we're going to integrate a big chunk of building artwork in the next six months, so that should help both with the maps and with urban scenarios, at least from a visual point of view.

Noncombatants we will see within the next twelve months, the same goes for multisidedness. Civilian cars will eventually appear much earlier, although their immediate purpose is only to support gunnery training (that is, to discriminate between targets and non-targets).

T-55... probably. If so, with a ton of other vehicles. Much depends on when we will be able to finish an internal tool that will allow the partially automatized import of vehicle model files. We want to do that within the next six months, but I cannot guarantee that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'd rate the importance of suspension bridges much lower than that of highway overpasses. Phone lines are primarily eye candy, high tension long distance power lines are useful for orientation purposes and hence more important as well. Instead of models for destroyed building we should rather attempt to create building models that offer partial destruction. Burnt-out vehicles: Yes. Walls: Soon.

Phone lines are primarily eye candy, high tension long distance power lines are useful for orientation purposes and hence more important as well.

How about Oil Pipelines as well?

Instead of models for destroyed building we should rather attempt to create building models that offer partial destruction.

Like a heat round demolishes a side?

Then another heat flattens the building (depending on size)

or something along those lines, but so long as we can see the crunchies rough location and nail the buggers with MG fire I won't complain, much.

Burnt-out vehicles: Yes. Walls: Soon.
YAY!!!:clap:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The way I see it, Al picked the ports that DirectX suggests, and Microsoft probably had a reason to pick them and not others.

Joining MP sessions - well, it is easy if you're in a local area network. :o

For internet game sessions it's probably best to set up some sort of web server where sessions can be registered, some sort of a session broker. But since that's a convenience/entertainment thing it will have to wait until SB2.

• Administrators

Ssnake is right. Theres no such thing as a "common" number for port forwarding. The only way to make things easier is some sort of online middleman to organize the sessions and bypass the need for port forwarding.