Ideas list

Hedgehog

In the map view I would like to be able to request my own units positions. A right click on the desired icon and "...request position"! After a while I should get a none/rough/exact estimate of the coordinates depending on if the unit can give me the position update. The reason for not getting a satisfactory position back could be many (GPS failures and canopy cover, radio failures/cover, engagement status, crew health aso). Hopefully I will be able to move my unit icon to a new X,Y(,Z).

Now, you can always jump into your units if they are controlled by yourself and hence sort out were he/you are. However, I always play with "no map updates" as I like to do them myself - adding a bit of realism/confusion to the game (fog of war :)). I do not fancy the Idea of "jumping" around the units" (too much).

What do you think?

Thanks for reading,

Ingolf

PS: Maybe, there is a way to do this that I totally missed? DS

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is it possible / sensible to include following route behaviors?:

"Assault, Fire at Short Halt"

"Assault, alternate between fire at short halt and fire on the move"

"Assault, fire at short halt every xxx meters" (hold fire before advancing another xxx meters)

Might come in handy for BMP-1s and T-72s, especially since fire on the move accuracy of T-72 seems to going to be lowered at the upcoming update.

Oh, I hope so. I'm kind of sick of T72s- which are supposed to have lackluster fire on the move capabilities- consistently hitting my briefly exposed hull-down tanks, while moving, at 3000 meters. I mean, a few hits is one thing, but when they can hit my 9/10 times when I'm not even pulled far enough out of defilade to fire my main gun? At those ranges? While MOVING?

... I wish I could do that with the M1s and Leo 2s in the game!

• Members
Is it possible / sensible to include following route behaviors?:

"Assault, Fire at Short Halt"

"Assault, alternate between fire at short halt and fire on the move"

Units without stabilization already do this automatically on assault routes.

For the T-72 you'll have to reduce the speed to medium for assault routes (in the future).

how about going into first person in a dismounted squad. being able to support tank squadrons in a suburb whether it be in the desert or small european town, it could benefit everyone. abit like medal of Honour but for SB.

I bet it's not gonna happen.

Though it would be great if that ArmA-like infantry simulation (forgot the name) and SB Pro could blend well with each other.

I would love to have a scoring option for "Unit Detached"...to penalize a platoon for breaking up ....it doesn't have to mean each unit has to stay in the games construct of a unit ....but to stay in the expected area that a platoon would act....ie....within 200 meters, 600 meters...2 minutes of travel time of each other?

If 1st platoon has his tanks spread out all over the map...1/1 tank is 4 Klicks to the west.... while 1/2 is stuck down in some valley road check point where no radio can get too...do you think this would make it a TANK sim......?

What if 2/1/A is stuck in a river at a bridge crossing at thefar side of the map while the rest of 1/A is together at the end of the sce ? Would this plt incur the penalty ? The tank isnt dead so it would count as a live tank, its just a victim of the AI inability to cross a simple bridge. I think this feature could cause more problems...

Mog

Can't recall if this is in SB:PPE or not, but I'm sure I'll find out once I get a copy...But...

1) "Overhead cover" position for M1 TC. IIRC I've seen vids of him moving up and down in his seat but only with the hatch open or closed.

2) An option to change how the gunner will respond to the TC engaging targets with the .50 Cal. Maybe I want the gunner to "Fire and Adjust" while I'm working something over with my MG...

Can't recall if this is in SB:PPE or not, but I'm sure I'll find out once I get a copy...But...

1) "Overhead cover" position for M1 TC. IIRC I've seen vids of him moving up and down in his seat but only with the hatch open or closed.

2) An option to change how the gunner will respond to the TC engaging targets with the .50 Cal. Maybe I want the gunner to "Fire and Adjust" while I'm working something over with my MG...

SB already have an overhead cover position, although its a bit clunky to access.

basically you need to close the hatch while moving up from a seated position, into a low view.

I bet it's not gonna happen.

Though it would be great if that ArmA-like infantry simulation (forgot the name) and SB Pro could blend well with each other.

probably wont but its just an idea :D it would be good though to have a single unit be able to lead a squad and supervise it. As theres Mechanised infantry in the game i thought that even the driver, gunner and commander could benefit this even more. sort of like a fight for survival.

could run miles back to a point where theres an ARRV, hitch a ride back, wait for th unit to be repaired and then continue with the mission. Ive liked the idea of being able to stay in the fight even if my vehicle has been destroyed.

I think they just have trust issuses with them

Your damned right i do, and you should also. Ive played for many years, and Ive turned my back on my platoon once too often, only to find the AI has suddenly switched to line formation just ahead of a bridge, or had some other neural spasm, which causes vehicles to brainlessly drive into a river. Only manually shepherding each vehicle across a bridge mitigates the risk. This surely doesnt have to be the case. Crossing a bridge in an AFV is not entirely without some degree of risk, however a vehicle driving into a river 50 to 100 meters from a bridge is not an accident its just plain stupid. Non amphibious vehicles should have an innate aversion to water. (streams excluded) I cannot imagine a driver, knowing hes supposed to be crossing a bridge, wallowing around the bank 100 meters away from said bridge, eventually just driving into the river. (all of which apparently have banks which are at 45 degree of greater declines. It F-ing enraging. Sometimes platoons which are told to halt still dick around trying to get into some formation or another and AI tanks are trying to drown themselves faster then you can go around and manually save them. Go into teamspeak some TGIF and listen to whats going on when a side has to cross a bridge. The CO (and others) usually has to loiter around the crossing just to help ensure someone doesnt lose a vehicle. If hes doing that, hes probably not keeping track of other matters which require the side commanders attention.

I think it would make sense to fix the AI then...after all we don't omit bridges , steep hills or river just because the AI has problems with them.

WOW, there is an idea.

On that note what should be implemented is some sort of "capture zone" which forces vehicles to safely cross a bridge if it has a route which begins on one side of an water obstacle and crosses to the other side, and the route crossing passes within a set distance (lets say 100-200 meters) of a bridge. Perhaps some sort of 45 degree zone extending from the entry to each bridge.This way even a poorly laid route would still allow a vehicle to enter the capture zone and cross the bridge, as the user surely intended. The unit would become scripted to cross the bridge, absent manual intevention by the owner, and would resume its route upon touching Terra firma in the far side of the bridge. Formation would be mandated to be column. Enemy actions would not alter this. A unit has a chance, when it becomes engaged in a fight with the enemy. The water is 100 % "fatal". The unit may not be dead but it is unuseable for the duration of a typical scenario.

Mog

A cool idea that I just "saw" in T-34 vs Tiger:

when your tank/vehicle is hit and rocked by an explosion and you are in the gunners or TC position looking through the sights you should get knocked away from the sight you are looking through... but that would require modelled gunners position for the vehicles....