Operation Variable 2

Tacbat

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I think both teams can have Leos, it is more up to how that side's commander chooses to spend their points (in other words, it depends on what they "buy"). Also, I think there will be a draft that happens when the first game starts, where both commanders will pick who will be on what side for the duration. It may not be popular, but it will hopefully ensure that it stays reasonably balanced...

Hopefully we'll be able to get this going around the middle of Jan. Still looking for a leadership team for Red.

V is right about the vehicles. Leo's are available to both sides (although fewer in number for Red). So it shouldn't matter what side you end up on, as there will be a good mix of equipment for everyone to find something they're comfortable with. You can take a look at the ORBAT to see what resources both sides can draw from.

• 2 weeks later...

Just so there's no misconceptions, equipment is not specific to one side (except for support vehicles, and some light recce). Both sides have access to the Leo family, and both versions of the M1. This was done so that regardless of which side you end up on, you'll have something to play with that you're comfortable in.

The only people who know which side they'll be on before the beginning of the campaign are the two CO's and the two XO's. For everyone else, you will be "drafted" to one side or the other so that both sides are balanced with veterans and newcomers alike.

Now, looking into my crystal ball (after blowing off a 1/4 inch of dust), it looks like we can start this campaign on 14 Jan 2011, all things being equal.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tacbat,

Good to see that you are rolling this out again - the rules look great. Are you the campaign coordinator? With all the work I recently put in trying to make the Red Leopard I wiki entry better, I recall the folly of playing and campaign coordinating simultaneously.

Would you like a "referee" to call upon in order to review disputes? I'm not sure that I can commit to playing this one (I wouldn't likely make each session), but perhaps I could help in the manner I just described. If part-timers are allowed, put me down for RED - defense sounds like a challenge. If you want the referee, I obviously would not play.

Hey Tarball,

Thanks for the offer. Yes, I'll be coordinating this one , but this time around I'll be alternating between both sides from mission to mission, so I should still be able to referee if something comes up. So feel free to play in the campaign whenever you can make it.

I've had numerous inquiries as to whether or not OPV2 will be starting next week. All I can say is that until someone fills the Red CO and XO positions, the campaign will be in indefinite limbo.

Those of you who expressed some interest in CO'ing, now's the time to step up to the challenge.

Just show up for seven games and be a goat herder for a little while. ;)

Well as long as the seven games don’t start at 0300 local (Lima) time and I can invite my RSM (Command Sergeant Major for you US types) along then I’ll bite the bullet.

Does the job also involve the actual force pick, etc. or just coming up with the plan and making sure the subordinates turn up? :)

Game starts at 2200 EST. Not sure what day/time that is for you. Yes, bring your RSM along. You'll need an XO too. :)

Basically, the responsibilites of the CO are:

-read and understand the rules

-draft players to their side before mission 1 (done the night of mission 1);

-decide on what equipment to purchase for the next mission;

-develop a plan;

-decide where to place obstacles if purchased; and

-coordinate the routing of air assets and selecting the landing zones for airborne/airmobile forces if applicable.

The XO assumes these responsabilities if the CO is unable to do them for whatever reason.

Game starts at 2200 EST.

So that’s what US Eastern Standard Time as opposed to Australian Eastern Standard Time?

Any chance of a time zone or maybe a GMT (Zulu) equivalent so I can a least try and work it out from there?

You'll need an XO too. :)

Well no idea where he’s coming from.

Basically, the responsibilites of the CO are:

-read and understand the rules

-draft players to their side before mission 1 (done the night of mission 1);

-decide on what equipment to purchase for the next mission;

-develop a plan;

-decide where to place obstacles if purchased; and

-coordinate the routing of air assets and selecting the landing zones for airborne/airmobile forces if applicable.

“Basically”? (implying there’s more to it).

Sort of clashes a bit with:

Just show up for seven games and be a goat herder for a little while. ;)

Don’t you think?

It may all be off now anyway (have gone from 36 hrs NTM down to 12 for these floods).

Hey Zip,

The missions would be played at the regular TGIF time which is 0300 GMT (I think) Fridays, and I plan on doing two missions a month, hopefully on alternating weeks. Although if the interest is there, and the CO's are able to put their plan together in time, we could do the missions on back to back TGIF's.

Edited by Tacbat

Game starts at 2200 EST. Not sure what day/time that is for you.

2200EST = 0300GMT

Which equates to 1400 in Melbourne (Puckya-whatever)

(Google is your friend, my friend :biggrin:)

Which puts it smack in the middle of the night for me. :(

But I think Finland is 2 hours ahead of England.

So Zip could make it if he does a super early Reveille

(Rather him than me though :))