Apocalypse 31

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oscar,

One of my all time favorite cartoons has three frames. Its title is "The Three Personality Types." Each frame has more or less the same picture: a guy sitting at a bar with a partially filled mug of beer. The first frame is the 'Optomist' who says, "My beer is still half full." The second, the 'Pessimist' who claims, "Mine is already half empty." The third is the 'Crank,' who wildly declares, "Hey! I ordered a cheeseburger."

Nothing wrong with cheeseburgers, though. I hear that double cheeseburgers are on special at McDonalds for just a dollar.

The term "Midvale, school for the gifted." springs to mind.

And I demand that eSim stop everything and rewrite their code so that their tanks have health bars or hit points, like Operation Flashpoint, Armed Assault, and Red Orchestra/Darkest Hour.

LOL

The funny thing is EACH of those games you listed have VERY good features.

OPF and ArmA1/2 have perhaps the best infantry sim with little mods, and great looking maps. RO has one of the most realistic WWII tank sims on the market, and doesnt have a "hitpoint" system last time I played. But maybe a different RO than what you played.

• Members

I'd like to point out that a better suspension model is quite desirable, don't get me wrong on that. I do think however that there is bigger fish to fry for the foreseeable future. 3D characters give us in general a lot more flexibility in the software expansion with respect to tactical depth ... while a better suspension model would give us just that, a better detail which, aside from an eye candy element, has limited practical benefit (better shooting on the (slow) move while without stabilization). Consequently it isn't at the top of our priority list.

Still, it is on The List.

What is probably irritating many people is the fact that all these arguments have been brought forward several times, yet the demand for bobbing wheels is being brought forward with a certain regularity even though quite obviously the circumstances haven't changed a bit. This creates the impression of obtuseness (if you want to put it negatively) ... or of perseverance, to give it a positive spin. But in any case, I guess we can all say that "we get it" by now, and that a repetition of this old tune isn't even entertaining anymore.

*Snip* while a better suspension model would give us just that, a better detail which, aside from an eye candy element, has limited practical benefit (better shooting on the (slow) move while without stabilization). Consequently it isn't at the top of our priority list.

And a nice bouncy sight picture in EMRG/MAN mode, which may or may not appeal.

Now, this is my personal opinion on suspension:

I'd look forward to the tank's nose dipping & rearing back everytime it stopped & moved off. (The only thing to complete this part of immersion would be brake squeals. **Eeeee, chub chub chub chub**)

But I'd much rather prefer the accurate ballistic model, and the unguided projectiles, (if you miss you miss) over bouncy wheels.

(I remember SB1, where everything was a hover tank. Took some getting used to over M1TP2, but the better depth won me over in the end.)

Still, it is on The List.

All Hail the_List!

:biggrin::biggrin:

Ok guys,

For not wanting to sound like a complete jerk, It's been said that the new content will be coming in the future,Suspension,3D men, and shadows and other goodies which is really cool and make the emersion of this sim even better.

And I think the Army's of this world that use this sim, will say "why did we not ask for this in the beginning".

but for now I think we sit back and enjoy the sim now, and look forward to the future and all the cool stuff that's still to come. For me I am very excited in the direction of this sim.

Oh yeah and sorry to hear that the guy is going.

O_Smiladon

i remember back in the days.. back in the pre-beta of SB pro PE when the roadwheels did not rotate, and the tracks did not move.. it was a big day when they finally did.

**Shivers**

Gah! I don't even want to imagine that.

So, how are they programmed to rotate, is it implemented in 3DS or in Steely Beasts? Or is that a trade secret? :sonic:

So, how are they programmed to rotate, is it implemented in 3DS or in Steely Beasts? Or is that a trade secret? :sonic:

Probably both. I've worked with models on other games and I imagine SB uses a similar method... On the model, you have to isolate each animated part and define how it moves. The program will send an assigned trigger along with motion variables when the animation is needed.

So don't play YPR-765, you'll be extremely traumatized. :clin:

Thanks for the tip.

:biggrin:

Aha, so its a Degree Of Freedom mode then.

So, thinking about the tracks does just the texture move and the polygon(s) stay still, this right?

And when the track disappears it is just switched off, until the engine logic turns it back on?

3d infantry. :smilelove-1:

I'm sure your points for leaving/giving the sim a rest for a while are valid. As for myself I feel that Ssnake and the boys care a lot about us as customers (since it's a pretty small clientel and expensve product they have to). Ssnake examined the memory stick when I couldn't start SB. Whenever there has been a problem the response is "stay in touch because we want to make this work". They have been modest and secretive whenever something new is in the works my perception is that they want to make sure it is as functional as possible before it is released.

You wouldn't hear anyone at Firaxis say "Oh, your Civ copy is malfunctioning, let's have a look at it". No, you'd probably be told to stick one of Sid Meier's bodyparts in your mouth.

Before you think I'm totaly kissing up.

25 $ was quite a lot cash of an upgrade so I'm happy I won my.