TC changing his mind

rump

I was playing around with PELE rounds (in a Leopardo), first lined up a platoon T-55's and was able to destroy them all. TC acted as expected.

Then, I changed the targets to a platoon of T-72M4's. TC calls 'tank, fire', I fire, PELE round has no effect. I fire again, TC calls 'cease fire'. Ignoring him, I fire another couple of PELE rounds (TC keeps calling 'cease fire'), eventually killing the target. Now, the TC starts calling 'tank, fire' again!

It was almost as if the TC at first lost faith, and then after seeing the kill got in the game again...

- Rump

• Members

The computer-controlled commander is just that - a robot, acting on a set of parameters. Even a just subtle parameter change may make him change his mind. It should also be noted that computer-controlled crews will act on one basic armor strength parameter for each side. They are not aware of specific weak spots or anything. So a human gunner may still be able to kill a target where the computer-controlled commander might consider the attempt futile. Usually however the target is so far away that the natural dispersion of the gun shots will make it impossible to hit a specific weak spot reliably. You would then waste a lot of ammo before scoring a lucky strike, and give away your position in the process, inviting fire from the target - or someone else.

Disengaging and seeking a better attack angle from a different firing position would usually be the prudent thing to do.