Top Tank Platoon 2010 (TOURNAMENT)!

Volcano

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
Interesting.

What was the "Blue on Blue" all about early on (just a misidentified TI image or an internal "issue")? :)

Well, there are no map updates (nothing shows up on the map), so situational awareness is tricky to say the least. There was smoke, and a call over the net about taking fire, and then I guess the shooter might have been a little disoriented - it happens. At least it was only a track being shot off though! :shocked:

wow, good game guys, shocked we won, sorry my ts crashed in the aar or I would have stayed to gloat hahah, well done every one great game.

V-man I will upload the aar in a few.

very good game guys! i was shocked as well :) not to mention very embarrassed. you guys played very well.

What is the next match up? why am i so lost? lol

• Moderators
very good game guys! i was shocked as well :) not to mention very embarrassed. you guys played very well.

What is the next match up? why am i so lost? lol

Don't worry, I am here to hold your hand and show you where all the information is. :remybussi: You can find that info here:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=14791

• Moderators

Just a note from Game 4:

I noticed a problem with my modification to Gunnery Scores (not Mission Scores) this round. It was working just fine last week, but I foolishly did a nifty change to clean it up and I somehow messed it up (I guess I should have left it alone). Anyway, I have since corrected the problem so that it should not happen again, however I had to recalculate Game 4's Gunnery Score for all users accordingly. If you want to know what your Gunnery Score should have been/what it was corrected to, it is actually very simple:

(from SBwiki):

+300 points maximum for hit % (accuracy) (ie. +3 points for each % of your accuracy)

+400 points for your 1st kill +100 points for each kill you get after that

-------

1000 points maximum

The basic problem in Game 4's broken Gunnery Score was that everyone who did not get a kill was getting 300 points for no reason, and those that did get a kill were getting 100 points less than they were supposed to. As mentioned, I have since corrected the issue in the "Game 3" scenario in the Team Speak file browser, so if The Gophers / Sudden Death uses the scenario in the TTP 2010 channel browser then it should not be an issue. It should also not occur again in the future.

Apologies on any confusion this might have caused in Game 4.

In regards to the actual match; it was a good game. The final score is deceptive - it was actually quite close to the end with both sides trading fire heavily and struggling to capture a difficult to approach center objective. It was nerve-racking for me at least, all the way to the end. I will post the AAR after Game 3 is reported (I will do this each week - wait until both games are reported then post the AARs).

• Moderators

Hello all,

Game 3 results have been posted. Thanks to all those that participated!

---------------------

And now, something unrelated:

As we know, we can't have a community event without complaining. It seems that I am hearing some grumbling about ammunition selection. Here is the final say with that:

• The tank and ammunition selection was posted on the TTP 2010 page for at least a month in advance of the tournament for all to see, from which the selection was made.
  • The two top end tanks in both sophistication and armor (the Strv 122 and Leopardo 2E) had been given lesser ammo out of balance. If it were any other way, and if these tanks had the same ammo then this should have been called the "Top Leopard 2E Tournament" because that is what everyone would have naturally of taken (you would be stupid not to take it). However, the ammo selection is the intentional equalizer, that is, the element of dilemma to make you reconsider taking the obvious choice.
  • The basic ammo selection was based on the M829A2, which is the round type we use in almost every TGIF scenario of late. Tanks of similar quality have this ammo selection (ie. the Leopard 2A4 and Leopard 2A5 have KE-WA2, which is nearly identical to M829A2 -- I just didn't want them to have the same exact round), and "better" tanks have rounds of lesser quality.
  • You, the team, made the tank/ammo selection for yourselves, from the list provided.

All I can say is, there were (initially) some people who were not at all happy that I included the Strv 122 and Leopardo 2E in the tournament, even if they had lesser ammo, because it was deemed that it was simply not fair because of how protected their turret front is. Oh the irony. So, if you have one of the better tanks and you are unhappy with your ammo selection, then my answer is simply "sorry, you should have payed more attention to the ammo types, or you should have selected a different tank". I am not in any way sympathetic to this issue, because it just seems to me like some want to have their cake and eat it too. If there was a concern about ammo types then it should have been voiced a month before it started, when everyone was picking their vehicle.

So there you have the answer. Consider this ammo selection issue as case closed.

(Please don't post and start an argument about this; if someone is really upset about it then please tell me about it and I will consider making a change in a future tournament. The only reason I bring this up, is to explain my stance on it. Thanks.)

For The Gophers I wanna say good job with last night game. For the Sudden Death very good game also, very intense at the end of the round, let me tell you guys. But overall I feel everyone did a good job. For our team I wanna tell you guys thanks for the hard work and communication with each other. I feel we would have not been so successful if it wasnt for all of us communicating at the right time and understanding the positions of the enemy. As far as the ammo thing goes for the tanks, we did pick the 2E and everyone can agree with Volcano. So thats all I have to say about that, we have complained by we know that we choose the 2E to start with. Lets just fight with what we have and as most of you know we adapt to fight with what we have and the conditions,so lets do it and do our best team. I know we can, we proved it last night. Look forward to the next game and remember lets just have fun. Thanks,

Assassin 7

• Moderators

The round is complete and I have updated all the information.

In Game 6, we exposed a small bug with Region Scoring. Apparently it is giving ownership of the objective to the side that has a dead vehicle in the objective, if the other side vacates it. This should not be happening, and it has been reported. However, this means that I will have to arbitrate the result if it happens again like this (I have given ownership of the objective (+300 points) to Sudden Death, because there is no doubt that they had it last).

It is important to note that this feature works properly (you don't have to sit in the objective) as long as there isn't any dead vehicles in the objective. The bug is that the dead vehicle on the other side shifts ownership back the other way. I don't want anyone to think they have to sit in the objective in the tournament from now on, that is not the case.

If anyone has a similar result in a match, then please let me know and I will adjust the result/score accordingly. If this has happened in the past already, then sorry, I won't change past results (it should have been brought to my attention if this was the case). However, AFAICT it hasn't happened in any previous result, this was just a perfect storm of events.

Anyway, it was a great match.

Edited by Volcano

Ah i was in TS today and heard about these games. I havent been around much as i've been busy with work. But good to hear that folks are having fun. Its good that thease events are being organised. It will help keep the community going.

Anyway , while i was hanging in TS , i couldnt help overhear that there was Franticide, but they were unable to determine who caused it. Someone claims it was "MOG", but why is that when franticides are commited accidently or otherwise sometimes the name of owner of that tank is not shown in AAR. Can this be included in the bug list aswell.

Just wondering ....

Great fight Lost Platoon! I think your team preformed above everyone's expectations in this tourney. Playing with 1-2 less tankers than the other team, in every match. One more man in our match could have made the difference, it came down to the wire. The score does not give a proper indication of how close it really was.

Wear the Ribbon with Honor.

• Moderators

The results have been posted, along the the AAR file. It was a good match -- very close until the end.

Just so everyone knows, there was some confusion at the end of the match, both sides had a tank in the objective yet it gave the objective points to The Gophers. Upon closer review, this is by design of the Region Scoring feature: a disabled tank (a tank with crippling damage) counts less for ownership over a tank that is operational. In the final seconds of the match, a shot severely crippled the Red tank in the objective before it ended, thus giving ownership to Blue which had an operation tank in the region. Had it ended second before, with both sides having operational tanks in the objective, then neither side would of gotten the points for the objective (this is what caused the confusion, because at first it was thought that there was an error, before it was noticed that there was a crippling shot in the final seconds). This is something to keep in mind -- "light damages" will not prevent a vehicle from getting ownership, only crippling/heavy damages do.

Anyway, the Gophers push forward. Since Four Horsemen had a 3-1 record before this point, it so happens (from the amount of losses everyone has at this point) that they will carry on to the Championship as Red. The only left to determine is who will be the other team (Blue) in the Championship matchup. This next match between The Gophers and Sudden Death will determine that, since which ever team loses will get eliminated on the third loss. Good luck!

Edited by Volcano