Fulda Gap 1986 Missions 1 and 2 AARs

Sean

• Administrators

Here are the AARs from the first two missions, played on friday. In mission 1, the Americans held off the soviet advance.

http://www.steelbeasts.com/fuldagap08/1986_Fulda_MP_Mission_1.rar

In mission 2, the American's counterattack against the remaining soviet forces failed.

http://www.steelbeasts.com/fuldagap08/1986_Fulda_MP_Mission_2.rar

To view these, extract the aar files to My Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\AAR, then open the AARs from steel beasts.

Any chance of getting LeoAS1's replaced with Leo1A5's?

I noticed that there aren't any tutorials for the AS1, so getting good at the gunner's controls is a challenge. That FCS is a real pain. Also, while I was playing the AS1 in the tank range, the commander was using HEAT against T-80's. I think it's isolated to the tank range because I threw together a quick mission with T-72's and T-80's, and the TC used sabot throughout. Possibly a minor issue with the Beta?

Watching the AAR, I saw a lot of duplicated ASLAV-PC (with Leo1) and BRDM-2 (with ASLAV-PC) and infantry in buildings replaced by ASLAV-PC.

I only saw corruption of the Red-side units, Blue Units seemed to be ok. Roughly half of the events occurred to these misplaced/duplicated units however.

• Moderators

GH_Lieste: Yeah we noticed some issues with the AAR.

Tacbat: no, I think the LeoAS1 is the closest thing we have that can represent a T72 (and technically, it is more effective than it should be).

One thing to remember with the LeoAS1 is how lead works. Lase a target then, while tracking the target, press and hold the P key. The reticle will then jump behind the vehicle while you hold P so now you should put the reticle back on target and fire. When you hit the target release the P key. Maybe that helps... everything else is somewhat self explanitory I think.

As far as the tank range is concenred, I haven't noticed it. But then again, looking at the default ammo, the LeoAS1's penetration values are identical for the HEAT and KE rounds. What was the range to the target?

Just did the range again. Had 3 T-80's appear. 2100, 1200 and 1600. First two were engaged with HEAT, and the last one the TC ordered HEAT to be loaded after the first shot was fired. Best I could score was 85% with the AS1.

The problem with the AS1 is that the engagement time triples, and that's from a stationary position. I think another challenge in the scenario is that the "dustiness" of the ground obscured the gunner's visibility to the extent that the fall of shot could not be determined. So there was no way of knowing where the round had landed in order to correct for the next shot.

Anyways, this Friday it's someone else's turn with the AS1. :)

56e83c65897ee_AS1Score.jpg.34f91ea636812

56e83c65897ee_AS1Score.jpg.34f91ea636812

• Moderators

Well, if you started the thing on Red then it is only fair that you continue to play on Red. I guess you will have to ask Blue if they will have you if you want to jump ship. There are plenty of ASLAVPCs to control though if you aren't implying that in fact want to "jump ship".

I don't see what the big deal is though, we won one and lost one with the AS1. I also don't see what changing it to the Leo1A5DK will do for what you are talking about.

• Moderators

Yes, it wasn't until 1985 and the T-72B when it had stabilization from the 1A40-1 FCS. Technically, in order to simulate a T-72M1, we would have to remove stabilization AND lead. Then I would need to rebalance all nine scenarios to 3:1 tank to PC ratio in the companies and make it a tank regiment instead of a MRR so that Red has a chance in Hades.

However, removing lead and stabilization would be opposite of what Tacbat is asking for because he says the LeoAS1 should be replaced with a Leo1A5DK. The reality is that the Leo1AS and the T-72 both have advantages and disadvantage (the T-72 is a smaller target for example) that cannot be accurately represented by having one vehicle pretend to be another. So I don't see the problem (until we have an actual crewable T-72 to choose from) to use a vehicle that is relatively close to it, and one which balances out any disadvantages it carries with it with some advantages of its own.

Greetings all,

As a suggestion for follow on missions, why not just bring in a company or two of T-72's. Let those that want to "use" them "have at it" and give the Leo's to players that really need them.

That way we'll see if there's any real difference in the effect of having the "actual" thing in play. Maybe have the T-72's as a reinforcing element? Trigger for the T-72 units? I'm sure you'll find a way.

Later ..... 9erRed