Cannot connect to MP servers

thekingofstyle

So, after moving apartments and upgrading to 2.546, I can no longer connect to any of my friend's multiplayer servers. My ISP tells me that I need to purchase a Static IP from them to be able to do video gaming. They tell me I need that to get through their network security requirements.

I have done the Port Forwarding for 2300 to 2400 and 47624. I have tried the DMZ, and connecting directly to the cable modem. Then after two weeks of re-installs and multiple tries, and I finally called the ISP and they told me I need to get a Static IP.

I'm less than inclined to pay for it, since I think it's BS. And at $10 per month, that adds up over a year.

I'm also a little confused because I can connect to Ghost Recon multiplayer games, and it uses ports 2346 to 2348. So I'm not sure what's going on, but the ISP says I need to pay for a Static IP.

Question - does anyone know of a way to get around a Static IP requirement? Should I try a VPN program? I've heard of Hamachi before.

Thanks!!

Sean, each night I tried, I did run > cmd > ipconfig /all and the IP there matched the IP in my router settings, for both Port Forwarding and DMZ.

Kramer - I did a clean install the first time. I also did a second clean install, uninstalling 2.546 and reinstalling the full update and then the 2.546 patch again.

CalAB - do you mean the port setting? We've tried that both empty and with 2300 filled in.

Is there anything I can run to test that the blockage is happening outside my apartment, rather than between me and my router? I've tried plugging directly into the cable modem once and that didn't do it.

• Members
So, after moving apartments and upgrading to 2.546, I can no longer connect to any of my friend's multiplayer servers. My ISP tells me that I need to purchase a Static IP from them to be able to do video gaming.

Captain - I get a strong reading on my BS meter, here.

They tell me I need that to get through their network security requirements.

However, maybe they are deliberately blocking ports on their end - let's say, those associated with DirectX information exchange - to make you pay extra. I haven't heard of such an extortion scheme yet, so I'm probably reacting paranoid, but I don't consider it unthinkable either.

I'll give Hamachi a try next time around. I hope it works.

What does the Shields Up page do? I went to their site and their didn't appear to be any navigation, just a warning about not using my browser refresh button.

Further information - trying to play Left 4 Dead does not work in multiplayer. However, I am still confused by the fact that I was able to connect to a Ghost Recon server with no problems (and it uses 2346 to 2348)

Try this page instead: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

It basically tells you which ports can be seen by others. So if ports 2300-2400 cannot be seen, then that's a reason why you can connect to other SB players.

Thanks Tacbat, that one worked.

So I got a "Perfect Stealth Rating" from them, with Port Forwarding enabled and even with my machine in my DMZ.

"Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice."

I tested common ports and specifically tested 2300-2400 and 47624. Same above results for both.

So, from the standpoint of Steel Beasts, this is a Bad Thing, right?

• 1 month later...

Okay, so here's an update. I'm still not able to connect

Since the last update, my ISP has given me a Static IP.

Left 4 Dead now works fine when it didn't before. This is a Good Thing.

Ghost Recon has always worked and still works

SB ProPE still doesn't work

I've got the Static IP entered into my global router settings, and my ports forwarded to my local IP address. I followed a guide for my router at portforward.com (link), though without the static ip for my computer. I checked with "ipconfig /all" that I'm using the right local IP for forwarding.

My friend Eugene reports that in the Network Session menu for SB Pro that he always sees a Modem, IPX, and TCP/IP choice. I do not have the IPX choice on my menu. Could that be an indicator of something?

We were going to try with Hamachi. However, I am having an issue when I try to start the game and I get a Codemeter Error 230 or Error 100. However, I generally only get those errors if Hamachi is running. Normally it starts fine.

Are those indicators of more general network issues with the game itself?

My friend Eugene reports that in the Network Session menu for SB Pro that he always sees a Modem, IPX, and TCP/IP choice. I do not have the IPX choice on my menu. Could that be an indicator of something?

No. IPX is another networking protocol.

TCP/IP is what you want.

Can you "ping" the IP address of the server?

If you don't know how to do that - happy to talk you through it. :)

If you can then the path to the address is clear, its just that you aren't communicating for some reason.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members
We were going to try with Hamachi. However, I am having an issue when I try to start the game and I get a Codemeter Error 230 or Error 100. However, I generally only get those errors if Hamachi is running. Normally it starts fine.

Are those indicators of more general network issues with the game itself?

Could be, I just don't know what these errors actually mean. The CodeMeter support team however will know the answer. Error messages never are a good sign, or something that could be safely ignored.