Leo 2 for Canada - Result

CharlieB

Well i know what to think about that as a dutchman. It seems dutch politics are allways using the defence department as a sort of bank. Whenever they think they need money for just about the most outrages thinks they just sell state of the art equipment from the dutch army airforce or navy. i think we now have only about 200 tanks left or so but i fear its much less or will be in the future. You see the problem is they sell new stuff but dont replace it with anything else. Been in the newspaper lots of times saying that people within the defence department fear for the operations in support of nato in afganistan and dutch armed forces because they just drain it of its money and material.

There is, admittedly, something pretty twisted about The Netherlands Government selling off the majority of its equipment - especially the newer stuff - and not replacing it. There may be a price to pay for that in the future.:decu:

As to Canada buying a hundred of the Dutch Leopard 2's, understandably I am very happy, as the Army finally gets a first-rate tank and in sufficient quantity to make a real difference on the battlefield.:drink:

Bittersweet.:?

Hey the Cougar wa a great AFV for what it was used for, tank trainer.

It was fast, had a fair gun that taught basic gunnery, and was easy to maintain and operate. Up to the Afghan mission it saw more deployment service than our Leopards.

We could teach tank tactics and gunnery as well as commander skills from a single tank to Sqn commander courses with it a low cost rather operation the Leo's.

I miss my cougar, so much that I just bought a AEF 1/35 scale cougar to remember the good old days.

This is so awesome. The Tories have always supported the military. I just hope those damn liberals don't get in power and undo all this good stuff ( leo2's and Globemaster transports). We have relied on the kindness of strangers for long enough ( first UK now US ). It's time for us to stand on our own feet.