Hello! :D

Pika

Hey guys!

Well I just bit the bullet and finally ordered myself Steel Beasts. I've been playing sims for a long time, and have focused mainly on ArmA2 with ACE2 lately, trying to squeeze every last drop of realisim out of it. And while it manages just fine with infantry play, it's tanking leaves a lot to be desired.

So I've done it, and last night I finally got it ordered. However i've never actually seem a decent tank sim before, and am rather intimidated by how much i've got to learn before I can join you guys online.

So with that, would anyone be willing to point me toward useful information (The Anti Frustration Kit link seems dead?), or even just list some tips to keep in mind during my first few hours?

Thanks people! I apprciate the help, and look forward to seeing you all online soon!

Welcome aboard! When SB arrives, work your way through all the tutorials. That seems obvious but apparently it is not. Also make use of the gunnery range. It is a useful tool. Try some single player scenarios, I recomend one called Tanks. It is a useful tool in developing tactical skills. Then study the AAR after each scenario ends. Finally join multiplayer games. There is no better teacher then playing against other players instead of the AI and being able to get real time help while playing via Teamspeak. If you dont have it download Teamspeak 3 so you can talk to other folks around here. Oh, and dont forget the big multiplayer game each week is friday nights at 2100 (9:00 PM) US central time.

So with that, would anyone be willing to point me toward useful information (The Anti Frustration Kit link seems dead?), or even just list some tips to keep in mind during my first few hours?

Yes, welcome Pika.

Skybird's Resources page may be of interest to you:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=88893

The SB Wiki might be of help as well:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php/Main_Page#Playtesting

-> For ex., if you're interested in planning & tactics:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php/Planning_Phase#A_Practical_Guide_to_Quick_Planning

Rgds,

Koen

• Members

My general advice is to start with one tank and learn that one thoroughly. It is often much easier to go to other vehicles afterwards as you just need to memorize the often just minor differences.

There is essentially one major vehicle family in SB Pro, the Leopard 1 and 2 with Wegmann fire control system. If you know one of them, you almost know all the others save for a few extras here and there or the one or other special quirk. The major differences are default ammunition and their performance, armor protection, and mobility.

Then there's the two Abrams tanks, the Bradleys, the CV90/40, the CV90/35 (each of them has their own special fire control system), and the Pizarro, also the ASLAV-25, and finally the Lemur remote weapon station. I would tackle them later. You should go with the easiest tanks first, M1 or Leopard 2, to minimize initial frustration and confusion.

So... wow. Where do I start?

Commence gush:

Steel Beasts Pro finally landed on my doormat yesterday and after spending a good few hours getting to grips with the Leopard 2, and wondering why the hell the supposed dummy tanks where shooting back at me (I didn't have the latest patch), I think i've fallen in love.

This smulator is fantastic, and i've not been able to stop talking and thinking about it, let alone stop playing it, since it arrived. So much so that a friend of mine seemed suitably impressed by sales pitch that he's now considering picking it up himself.

My only real grip is the tanks seems considerably simpler than your average flight sim, but I put this down to tanks being simpler in real life than an A-10C or whatever. :D

Nice one eSims, you've got something amazing here. Something i'm going to be playing for years to come. Why this is not a million times more popular, i'll never know, but seriously, don't stop what you're doing. It's fantastic.

My only real grip is the tanks seems considerably simpler than your average flight sim, but I put this down to tanks being simpler in real life than an A-10C or whatever. :D

You'll find the real complexity lay with the tactics of effectively employing the vehicle rather than the vehicle itself. That said, you should be comforted by not having to worry about the minutiae of boresighting, sync ramps, MRS updates, or spending more time fighting your "high tech" vehicular information system (such as the US IVIS or FBCB2) than the enemy.:)