Night MOD ---------- Released!

Banshee-66

Hey all as promised, the night mode is released. This mod is a thank you to eSim Games for creating the most realistic tank sim I have played. Also alot of the credit has to go to them for creating the original texture files.

There was alot of images to edit here. So if you find any problems let me know. Like if it's a model texture problem tell me what model you used, if it is a texture problem. Let me know that too.

The terrain textures are in one zip file. I would suggest decompressing them into a folder called terrain - night.

The texture files are broken up into seven zip files. I would suggest decompressing them into a folder called texture - night.

The images folder, only a few images where changed, but the full folder was zipped up so all you will have to do is rename your images folder. I would suggest decompressing this into a folder called images - night.

These files where compressed using WinZip 10. I would suggest downloading WinZip 10, as the older winzip and other programs won't unzip these files correctly.

I have noticed playing a few of the scenarios that distant textures will show up as though it was day time. If this happens what I have done is go into the map editor and edited the images and resaved the scenario with - night in the name.

Make sure to download the readmefirst.zip to help with the night mod.

I hope you all enjoy this mod. :D

Images Folder

Terrain Folder

texture/sky Folder

texture/autumn Folder

texture/desert Folder

texture/destroyed Folder

texture/winter Folder

texture/woodland Folder

nightfog.jpg.8fac42ae0693838e98b7bdd075f

nightfog.jpg.8fac42ae0693838e98b7bdd075f

Well, I tried your mod, Banshee, and must say it's a very nice change of mood. :D It's just too bad that, as you said, textures in the distance are more visible than up close. But I'm sure this is something eSim can handle, once they got the time to do, that is.

One thing I noticed is that I feel it's now a bid too dark. It is next to impossible to make out your own tank from the outside view. Ground features around your tank are also blackened out.

Perhaps it would be better to darken all the texture (gorund and tank textures) to such an extent as to remain barely visible, so that you can see at least some shapes. I've made two shots to show the difference (btw, inevitably perhaps, I couldn't resit making my own night sky, which can be seen in below screenies. No offense intended :) .)

I think you should be able to see at least something as long as the moon is shining and you are in the open, i.e., not inside heavy woods.

Nevertheless, you did a great job, man!! :thumbup:

night_mod.jpg.ecc55731b6a80206c67f584d0f

modified_night_mod.jpg.16b52e256461a47ed

night_mod.jpg.ecc55731b6a80206c67f584d0f

modified_night_mod.jpg.16b52e256461a47ed

In my first post I mentioned the far off textures being brighter and how to fix it. Also you might want to look at your bright and contrast settings for your monitor. I used the programs for mine and I can see the outline of the tank just fine. Or you can try shutting off the light in the room you are in. To me your second image looks like daylight on my monitor. :D

Is anyone else haveing the problem that the textures are too dark?

The monitor I am using is a DVI(Digital Video Interface) Samsung Syncmaster 930B LCD. On this monitor the simulation looks about right. The moon in my night sky would be in the clouds. So it wouldn't illuminate the ground very much.

Update: just looked at the screenshots I took on my older analog CRT monitor and the brightness looks about the same.

night1.jpg.a590262c8e69d568ef943048ee613

night2_209.jpg.44f47c7b1d37b16b37baa2878

night1.jpg.a590262c8e69d568ef943048ee613

night2_209.jpg.44f47c7b1d37b16b37baa2878

What images must be edited in the map editor? (I haven't played much with the map editor yet).

My monitor (a Gateway) has a 'fine picture mode', which is indeed a bit dark. If I crank up my contrast, sure enough my second picture becomes indeed close to daylight, but that would happen with other games, too.

So I assume the contrast setting of your monitor must be quite high.

In your last two pictures, I can't see anything.

Sorry that the mod isn't working for some of you. The way the mod looks on the monitor has alot to do with the type of video card you have, the type of monitor, and the color management profile that the video card is useing. Cause as stated before, on my monitor it looks about right.

This is what I have have.

WinXP Pro

3.06 HT

1GB RDRAM

Geforce 7800 GS Superclocked 256MB

DVI LCD Samsung SyncMaster 930B

Maybe I'll try it again.

Oh and here are the places you should edit.

What are your brightness and contrast settings? If you don't mind me asking that is.

map_131.jpg.34cf2f1a732b2826605cdb543c0b

map_131.jpg.34cf2f1a732b2826605cdb543c0b

100% done, atleast for right now. With some people having trouble seeing this mod, I kind of feel my time was wasted. In order to do this again, I would need one or two people at least, that is having trouble seeing this MOD and help me test out different settings. As this MOD, the way it is now, on my monitor atleast the night effect looks correct.

A great night MOD would have to be done by eSims, like a pre-set with the light settings and such. With a pre-set the textures would not have to be modified and the ground would look correct in the TIS, instead of looking black. Or better yet, if they add shadows, you could animate the light source to be set to the system clock and have your time of day or night that way. There are a number of things you can do.

Like in the MMOs I play the sun is animated, as are the clouds and stars, with weather effects like rain. Sometimes you can even get a thunderstorm.

Slows down you machine huh? What is the speed of your processor, and does it do it when you put the game back to the orginal settings with the "day" textures?

Could you copy all the error message.

Sorry for this stupid question here. you don't have the folders called like textures - day, and textures - night at the same time do you?

Hi, I have tried a few missions with the night mod. I must say it is very hard to fight a battle at night. The player as a gunner or TC has a great disadvantage of the night mod I think. The AI will spot you first and faster. As a TC normally I jump in and out the turret alot to get a good view of my surroundings and to check the positions of my wingman. At night Im forced to use the TIS only. The bino is useless. Im curious how other people's tactics are at night. Im no gunner/TC in reallife so please explain to me how to fight a battle at night. On my CRT monitor, an iiyama HM204DT, everything is really black. No black-grey shades, its really black. Cant see a thing. Except the far distance textures of the ground (like in some of the screenshots above). They are brighter. I understand I can play with the contrast and brightness settings of the monitor and videocard but thats not what I want to do I guess. There was something about making two different shortcuts so I can play SB with or without the night mod. I dont understand how to do this. So for now I had to copy and paste the textures everytime for day and night.

Honestly, I want to like the night mod, but I find it to difficult for now to fight any battles at night. Also switching so many textures everytime is not my game. So for now Im back to the default daytime textures.

Cheers! 8)

or do what I did, copy the SBProPE directory into another directory called SBProPE - Night. So I have two versions on my computer. One day and one night. :-)

Right! Never thought of that. :) Had no clue if that was possible with SBProPE and the dongle.

Cheers! 8)

Hello Banshee..Please bear with me..I am not a computer wizard and i am having trouble making the night mod work. I have it downloaded all files are in the folders as per the readme file..But no matter where i send them to they will not show up as the night mod when playing the sim. If you would "PLEASE" tell me what i should do and where i should send the files? In advance "Thank you".

If you didn't want to take a chance on making two copies of your SBProPE main folder. Since there is a bit of editing of the address link.

This is how your SBPro folder should look for day and night.

Don't worry if you don't have the pspbrwse.jbf file. This is just a Paintshop browser file.

Hope this helps some. :-)

day_906.jpg.ba4700908f7561b9c1d1378c4f12

night-mod.jpg.e3b4d61cc24def0d6ded46e2a4

day_906.jpg.ba4700908f7561b9c1d1378c4f12

night-mod.jpg.e3b4d61cc24def0d6ded46e2a4

• 2 months later...