Oaths...

Grenny

A reply by Gibson gave me the idea to start a thread to collect the different armies oaths.

We could put them in in native and then english language.

Well, I start with ours, and I hope I don't screw the translation:

"Ich schwöre, der Bundesrepublik Deutschland treu zu dienen

und die Freiheit und das Recht des deutschen Volkes

tapfer zu verteidigen.

So wahr mir Gott helfe." (optional)

"I swear to be a loyal servant to the federal republic of germany and

to bravely defend the freedom and rights of the german people.

So help me god." (optional)

You see that for obvious reason we refrain from swearing allegiance to specific persons or heads of state. We picked a wrong one once ;-)

This is the British Army's Oath of Allegiance.

"I (your name), swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, her heirs and successors and that I will as in duty bound honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty, her heirs and successors in person, crown and dignity against all enemies and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, her heirs and successors and of the generals and officers set over me."

Others replace the words "swear by Almighty God" with "solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm".

:cvcys:

Edited by FletchRDG

US Oath of Enlistment

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

US Oath for Commissioned Officers:

I, _____ , having been appointed an officer in the Army of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God.

Mog

Fletch, I'm curious but why the alternate use of wording? I would have thought it would have been the same regardless of where you take it?

Q

No idea, just found out on wikipedia. I guess if your completely against organised religion then you'd go with the alternative but I dunno if its actually written down. But it does sound about right.

Fletch, I'm curious but why the alternate use of wording? I would have thought it would have been the same regardless of where you take it?

Q

One is an Oath (i.e. you believe in God) the other is an Affirmation (i.e. you don't).

It would be of little value to have someone who didn't believe in God to swear an Oath because they are swearing by something they don't believe in and they probably wouldn't care if they followed it or not so therefore it wouldn't be binding.

US Oath for Commissioned Officers:

I, _____ , having been appointed an officer in the Army of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God.

Mog

So each time they get promoted they have to do this again, since they are longer "in the grade of _____ "?

That is the Oath they swear when promoted Captain no longer applies once they make Major?

Quiete a difference between the Soldier/officer oath!

No mention of "...follow the orders of..."?

So this may imply that they expect the officers to be able to judge what this ("support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same") means, but not the average enlisted??

Never thought about the difference between swearing and affirming. In germany we make a difference between conscripts and volunteer.

Regardless of rank, the volunteers say: "I schwöre..."( I swear...), while the conscripts say "Ich gelobe..." ("I vow..."). This has purely legal consequences/backround...f.e. punishment for going AWOL is harsher for volunteer than for conscripts as they are bound by oath.

Ok, not for much longern this will be, as we soon drop the draft :-/

This is not a Oath but a creed for NCO's of the US Army. Just some good information that maybe some ppl would like to know.

No one is more professional than I, I am a Non-Commission Officer, A leader of soldiers. As a Non-Commission Officer, I realize that I am a member of a time honored corps, which is known as " The Backbone of the Army."

I am proud of the Corps of Noncommission Officers and will at all times condcut myself so as to bring credit upon the Corps, the Military Service and my country regardless of the situation in which I find myself. I will not use my grade or position to attain pleasure, profit, or personal safety.

Competence is my watch-word. My two basic responsibilities will always be uppermost in my mind- accomplishment of my mission and the welfare of my soldiers. I will strive to remain tactically and technically proficient. I am aware of my role as a Noncommissioned Officer. I will fulfill my responsibilities inherent in that role. All soldiers are entitled to outstanding leadership; I will provide that leadership. I know my soldiers and I will always place their needs above my own. I will communicate consistently with my soldiers and never leave them uninformed. I will be fair and impartial when recommending both rewards and punishment.

Officers of my unit will have maximum time to accomplish thier duties; they will not have to accomplish mine. I will earn their respect and confidence as well as that of my soldiers. I will be loyal to those with whom I serve; seniors peers and subordinates alike. I will exercise initiative by taking appropriate action in the absence of orders. I will not compromise my integrity, nor my moral courage. I will not forget, nor will I allow my comrades to forget that we are professionals, Noncommissioned Officers, LEADERS!!

Assassin 7

Ok, not for much longern this will be, as we soon drop the draft :-/

I know about this, I had some german friends back in the day and some were worried about being conscripted. I personally think it builds and enstills respect in younger people. Something the UKs lost since the 50s and It only lasted 15 years after 1945. Now we live a country thats gone too soft on kids that do the wrong thing. ASBOs (Anti-Social Behavior Order) doesn't mean anything to these kids. Id still refer to Germany for anything, its alot cleaner then England (I cant speak for Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland), the kids are generally better behaved, towns are properly monitored during drinking times (though there will be the rare incident). I do love England, its my place of birth but my second country would have to be Germany, I lived there for the 13 years out of 23 years of my life.

Others may disagree but its just my opinion. :cvc: