Took the plunge

Lord Thag

Hi all.

When I was a kid, my folks bought me M1 Abrams Battletanks for the old Genesis console (great game, if hilariously low res these days), and I've been a 'treadhead' ever since. Mostly WWII stuff, but recently I picked up Combat Mission Shock Force and it rekindled my interest in modern tank combat and tactics.

I've been eyeing SBPPE for a couple of years now, and with some xmas money, I finally decided to take the plunge. Now I'm waiting like an impatient five year old for it to show up in the mail. Seriously, I'm as bad as that kid on the Christmas Story waiting for his decoder ring.

I've read a few of the 'noob' threads here, but I was wondering if there are any tips/advice/resources that might help me get over the initial learning, err, cliff :)

Once I do, you can be sure I will be around to get blown up in style on Friday nights. I will likely be quite dangerous to the foliage and assorted wildlife :biggrin:

So anyway, I look forward to learning and enjoying this great sim. Nice to meet ya'll.

Welcome aboard. I recommend that when your recieve the software, you go through the tutorials for whatever vehicle you want to learn first from start to finish, until you get the feel of it.

Until then I would read the SB wiki. It contains a lot of terrific information on SB, the vehicles, and lots of how to stuff. Many veteran players could learn from going over the info in it. Read up on the vehicles (M-1A1 and the Leos have excellent entries that explain much of how to operate the vehicle and things like armor thickness etc)

Here is a link to the M-1 article to get you started:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php/M1A1_%28HA%29

Mog

Hi,

My copy arrived about 3 weeks ago now, and here are the things I've found most helpful:

1. The tutorials for the M1A1 (the only vehicle I've really tried so far) - excellently written with huge amounts of information, even more useful than the manual ! (don't forget to apply the latest patch or the enemies in the tutorials shoot back, which limits the learning opportunities somewhat !)

2. The manual

3. The gunnery range - very good for getting practical skills

4. The Gun Runner series of scenarios (you'll need to download). I've only tried the first one so far (stationery targets, you are moving) - it's a step up from the gunnery range and makes you feel like you are getting somewhere

5. The Camp Hornfelt scenarios (download) - only started the first one, but it's the best place for putting those tutorial skills into action: plotting movements, taking up firing positions, coordinating teams etc. - and is great fun

6. The Tanks scenario modified from the original Steel Beasts. I'm finding it very difficult (I'm hoping just because I don't really understand things yet) but you have 1 tank (so simple) and have to destroy everything else

7. The wiki, of course.

Hope this helps,

Chris