CommanderA9

Steel Beasts Gold (Legacy) in Windows 7

Hello, all.

I know this topic used to be up here, but I don't know if we devised a solution.

I'm trying to get Steel Beasts (original) to run in Windows 7. Every time I try to get it to run, I get hit with a warning saying that the file "d3drm.dll" is missing from the system. This is a Direct X error as far as I'm aware.

I tried installing Direct X 7, and 9, and even transferring the "d3drm.dll" file right into Steel Beasts and the C drive. Nothing seemed to fix the problem. Running the program in XP and administrator mode and on 256 colors failed as well.

Any suggestions?

-Windows 7 x64 bit

-stock video card (able to run Steel Beasts Pro PE)

Well, I tried DirectX 9. It didn't seem to fix the problem.

That thread seems to have gone missing, by the way.

I know people reported problems with the original Steel Beasts running in Windows 7, but I don't remember if we ever found a solution...

You confirmed that your graphics driver has a 640x480x256 color mode? If it does not you are already out of luck on windows 7 itself. Other than that, all you can try is the virtual pc like renegade suggested. But those suggestions were in the other thread.

A search turned up the thread that has gone missing. http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=14813

If your version of windows doesnt come with virtual pc, you can try using the free version of vmware server. Then you can install and run whatever OS you want. No idea how it would look or work though.

I hope I misunderstand this... DOes this game only play in the 640x480x256 resolution?? I'm looking to buy...

No relax - you have misunderstood, or at least mis read.

"Steel Beasts" is the what 10 - 12 yr old first generation of the software.

From it Steel Beasts Professional evolved and it happily runs on lots of resolutions.

In turn "Steel Beasts Professional" has two sub species:

Steel Beasts Pro - the Military grade full featured simulation.

Steel Beasts Pro PE (Personal Edition) - the "cut down" civilianised version that is what you are considering buying.