Korea

Suicidal_6

Ya. That's what I was wondering. I didn't see one in the DL section. I thought maybe someone made one and hasn't submitted it. I know it hasn't happened (yet). I was hoping for a what if. There is plenty of info out there for both sides. I would do it myself but I don't have the time to learn how to make maps and detailed missions. Thanks anyway, love this sim and steelbeasts.com.

I remember - and I do not have the source - that the South would basically be considered lost in very quick time, should the DPRK attack. Reasons being: Overwhelming NK manpower, and Seoul being in range of an insane amount of artillery.

ROK forces would slow them down, for a short while.

Well, frankly, in the 80s or early 90s, our goal was hold/interdict until the U.S. reinforcements arrived and payback for us just like you said, but now we have power can kick NK`s ass hard with some mechanized, artillery forces.

I think i could little bit subjective on this matter cause I`m S.korean,

but I want to tell you that ROK army is no longer "HOLD until US payback." style.

Not a chance. The SK's could beat the north without U.S. help, and the SK's do not use any Russian equipment. SK uses their own K1's and K1A1's, and some modified M-48's.

I understood they have around a battalion of T-80's, acquired as a form of collateral against some loans to Russia in the 90's, and that they were fairly pleased with them.

This is according to Sipri so I'm not sure how accurate it is. Attached is a rundown of everything in the initial deal.

Trade-Register-1990-2009-1.txt.192eed36b

Trade-Register-1990-2009-1.txt

Not a chance. The SK's could beat the north without U.S. help, and the SK's do not use any Russian equipment. SK uses their own K1's and K1A1's, and some modified M-48's.

Your misinformed. They do have T-80s and BMPs.

LOL Redmouse beat me to it.

Edited by Mogwa
too slow

I remember - and I do not have the source - that the South would basically be considered lost in very quick time, should the DPRK attack. Reasons being: Overwhelming NK manpower, and Seoul being in range of an insane amount of artillery.

ROK forces would slow them down, for a short while.

The source would probably be some articles from Korean self-proclaimed "conservative" ilk that wants to bang up some sort of red scare.

About the Russian equipment in ROK service, we are a BMP-3 short from making a series of 2nd Korean war scenarios on eastern part of the peninsula (that's where those Russian AFVs are fielded). Maybe someone should add that to the_List? (or to the wishlist megathread)

NK has T-34(reserve), T-54/55, Type-59, T-62, it´s derivative Chonma-ho and the latest Pokpung-Ho. Probably no match against the K1A1 and the M1A1, however I would not be so certain for the plain K1. Korea is restricted terrain but armor can be employed useful and in numbers.

The big bang over Pjongjang...yeah sure. As if. Going nucular because NK invades. Now if they would drop a nuke on Japan(in case they are really lucky with their aim, all Nodong missiles are prone for misfiring) yes in retaliation, but on their own? Can´t see that. Seoul is not going to be wiped out by artillery in the first seconds of the war. That´s a myth. Long range can reach it, but other than for terror purposes there would be much more lucrative targets in the DMZ and its vicinity.

::biggrin:

just happy to hear that. I can`t imagine how many details will be required to do those hard works.

Don't be too optimistic.

When he says "necessary details," it literally means every bits of information including sensitive (and absolutely necessary) ones such as armor composition information "good enough" to make a reasonable estimate.

Besides, that damned tank has still a long way to go until completion.

• 2 months later...