The Olden Days!

andym

Seeing the amount of response to the wargame thread i thought it might be fun to post our most memorable bits when playing these old favourites.Mine was when i was in the RN,one weekend we had a 24 hour non stop game of Kingmaker.We got through 3 crates of Coke and we must have smoked around 200 to 350 ciggies as well.I actually had to buy a second copy of Kingmaker as the first one literally wore out.Kingmaker has to be one of AH best games made.I also rather liked Talisman as well.

I have a game called Imperium Romanum 2 and its just mind blowing,but in all the time i have had it,its never been played.I must admit that i had many good games of the Squad Leader card game "Up Front" which i beleive is on Vassal as well.One game that i think would really play well as a PBEM game is Pax Brittanica.On the subject of Kingmaker,did any of you play with the expansion set?Made for a very interesting game.

Its been a while but I think I did play with the expansion on Kingmaker. I also played Pax

Brittanica but like Kingmaker its been a while. Its actually been a long time since I gamed the board games. I need to get back into it. Maybe I will go to the next game convention here.

I have a game called Imperium Romanum 2 and its just mind blowing,but in all the time i have had it,its never been played.I must admit that i had many good games of the Squad Leader card game "Up Front" which i beleive is on Vassal as well.One game that i think would really play well as a PBEM game is Pax Brittanica.On the subject of Kingmaker,did any of you play with the expansion set?Made for a very interesting game.

Have you tried Caesar IV. It's a citybuilder computer game, so the military portion is minimized. However you do have to fend off barbarians in the more hostile areas. The game was published by Sierra, which has since been merged into Activision-Blizzard and essentially has disappeared. But you should still be able to find out there somewhere.

Sierra also produced "Lords of the Realm", that seemed popular amongst many people, but they kind of dropped the ball on LR III. I have the Lords II and III, but don't play them as they aren't my taste in gaming. (I even beta tested LR III.) I have to admit I'm not interested in that era of history, so kings, knights, vassals and castles don't inspire me.

IR2 is now called Grand Ages: Rome, I believe. Having started playing the Caesar series (II, III and IV) from Sierra, I never really liked the Haemimont graphic style all that much so I never tried their games other than a demo.

I also tried games like Glory of the Roman Empire, and CivCity: Rome. I found GOTRE too simple and CCR lacking in the replayability department. After 3 passes through CCR I boxed it up and set it aside.

For ancient combat, I did enjoy Rome Total War, but the campaign strategy part of the game proved frustratingly repetitive to me and though I held nearly all of the provinces in my power, the game refused to end in victory for me.

I never found any one to play all my old AH games with back in the day. I usually ended up just playing solo games. I haven't touched my stash of AH board games in a good 30+ years now. Some have never been played. I also have a number of Strategic Simulation Inc (SSI) board games that sit around gathering dust, but I won't get rid of them.

When AH games started costing more than US$20 each I stopped buying them. Most of the ones I have, I purchased for US$12 back then. I thought paying US$50 for Advanced Squad Leader when it was introduced was insane in those days, so I never bought it. I do have the original SL though.

Shotmagnet and I were meeting regularly once a week for a few months to work through PanzerBlitz, Panzer Leader, and Arab-Israeli Wars via VASSAL. SM is an experienced boardgamer, so he was able to teach me a thing or two. VASSAL is relatively easy to set-up and use. It was time well spent.

A couple years ago I found an unpunched first edition Squad Leader in a used bookstore for about $10, IRRC. I then went on an mild ebay rampage, eventually acquiring, inter alia, an unpunched set of Assault and eventually all of the modules -- including Reinforcements.

Getting a Steel Beasts community VASSAL league started would be something I'd like to see happen.