M901 Trouble

dpabrams

Greetings,

Has anyone experienced the "snake head" trouble with the M901 Hammerhead launcher turret? What I mean is ounce the M901 reaches a firing position the launcher will continue to remain between the travel position and upright firing position and bob back and forth like a “snake head”. It seems that I have to maneuver around and find level ground before the launcher will erect. And by level I mean flat!

Pete

• Members

While I haven't observed it, the fact is that the head is actually pretty heavy and moving it around requires a fair bit of engine juice. I wouldn't rule out that the transmission couldn't always fully erect the launcher under unfavorable conditions.

That being said, it may just as well a bug. If you could create a scenario with just the M901 showing this behavior (there doesn't have to be anything else in the scenario), that would be enormously helpful.

• Moderators

Yes, the launcher is trying to raise as it is being told with the engagement command (or appropriate tactics at waypoint), but given that the vehicle is not on level ground (and as such, cannot fire) the AI is lowering it.

Not sure if it is a bug per se, unless it is doing this even on level ground, yes-it does look odd however, but the AI lowering the launcher is for visual feedback to let you know it is not on level ground.