Additional Ammunition for M1 Abrams

dpabrams

Greetings,

I don't know about the rest of you but I enjoy playing with the older units in SB. I prefer creating scenarios from the time period from about 1982 to 1984. This works well as the US player can use the M1, M113A1 and M901. I wish that improved M68 rounds like the M833 could be included as they were around in the early 80’s ( I think). The M735A1 is a fair round but I would like to see the M833. In the meantime I substitute the CMC105.

Speaking of simming the mid 1980’s, I sure would like to see a M2A0 or M2A1 and M3A0 or M3A1. I just can’t bring myself to use a M2A2 during this time period as they just weren’t around yet. Better yet how about a IPM1?

I much prefer the Cold War era to the 1990’s and beyond.

Pete

• Members
I just can’t bring myself to use a M2A2 during this time period as they just weren’t around yet.

You could assign a laser range finder damage to them, thus eliminating the primary difference in the fire control system. Okay, the armor is a bit stronger in the A2 version as well, but as a substitute it may still work.

Along with the M833, the American 105 should use M456 HEAT instead of the M393 HEP as the default light armor round, and use the M494 Beehive round instead of the 105mm canister round which wasn't in existence in that era AFAIK.

Mog

• Moderators
Along with the M833, the American 105 should use M456 HEAT instead of the M393 HEP as the default light armor round, and use the M494 Beehive round instead of the 105mm canister round which wasn't in existence in that era AFAIK.

Right, the M456A2 HEAT is the default light armor round, however the M1040 Canister is, as you say, much newer -- it is only intended at the moment to be something that would be available to the 105mm gun, and also as a Beehive substitute for the time being. It would be nice if there was an M833, which everything I have read seems to suggest that it is more powerful than the CMC105 (dU), but I don't know.

Even more nice would be to, eventually, have an M1(IP) in SB (with its extra armor), with MERDC camo, and the M833 round as default as the 1985 M1. I only say this here because we should all keep in mind that the M1 in SB at the moment is the very first version of it (1980-81), so I don't know how accurate it would be to have the dU M833 as the default for it, but sure it should be an something that is available to it.

Even more nice would be to, eventually, have an M1(IP) in SB (with its extra armor), with MERDC camo, and the M833 round as default as the 1985 M1.

You are correct this would be the addition I would like the most. As near as I can tell all the components are already in SB. Simply use the M1A1 (HA) and adjust the armor down (minus the DU armor) and add the 105mm, M68 from the M1A0 and BINGO! The IPM1 entered production in 1986 and was essentially an M1A1 with a 105mm. The M1A1 did not have DU armor but had additional armor plate added to the turret.

Pete

1984 actually, production ended somewhere in 1985/86.Turret armor was thickened from 740mm to ~960mm, this means it was thicker by 9 inches (~220mm).

Right you are. The IPM1 was the definitive Cold War US tank for me. I would like to see it sometime in SB along with the M833 rounds. I sure dig the M1 before they got so heavy. I hit 46 mph in my M1 just last night!

Pete