Cold War SB units

dpabrams

Been away from the sim for a few years. When I saw that the M60A3 and M1 were added, well that brought me back. I much prefer the mid 80’s NATO vs PACT thing as opposed to the super tanks and 120mm super guns that are so prevalent in SB Pro. I have been making up some early 80’s scenarios that typically include the M, M113A1 and M901 for the US. I wish that the early versions of the Bradley were modeled but I can do without them. For the Soviets I use variations of the T-72, T-62, T-55 and BMP-1’s and 2’s. In fact the Soviets have far more gear that would have been available in 1985 than do the US forces.

At ant rate I modded the M1 and M113 to better match the units in Europe at the time. The M1 is darker and greener. There are also some other minor improvements. I did a MERDC M113A1. I will try a MERDC M901 but it will be difficult. When I figure out the uploads I will submit them.

Pete

M1.jpg.a381a09f1a2c484bcbada73e2a331f9f.

M1.jpg.a381a09f1a2c484bcbada73e2a331f9f.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Volcano likes to simulate the early M2's (pre-ODS) by removing the LRF and giving them early TOW's (2's and 2A's).

If you like the MERDC camo then Mogwa has a MERDC M-60 in the downloads section. I did the M1A1 and M2/M3 MERDC but that was for an earlier version of Pro and they don't work with the current models. I keep thinking I'll re-do them for the new models but they were absolutely heaps of work.

When I figure out the uploads I will submit them.

Pete

Please read http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=9274 about uploading stuff. Standard is that people upload 1024pixel images as thumbnails (wich can max be 128)

And make sure to go into the right category (Skins-> the vehicle you are uploading) before hitting upload a skin. that way it ends upp in right category directly and I wont have to move it around.

And... Im looking forward to the skins!

/KaTie

nah seriusly, I think the 901 has gotten a new model lately without us noticing it. I cant remember the model being that good. but your skin on the other hand makes it look even betther.

I stopped playing SB 3 years ago and just picked it up again after noticing the update. The M901 model is great and the unit is fun as hell to control in the sim.

Just be wary.

With SB Pro i’ve had issues in the past with the FIST V wagon sight head (which I believe uses the same mechanism and code).

Often the sight head would come up but then get stuck in some “death roll” where it would just traverse very quickly to the point of spinning and you couldn’t get out of it.

The short term fix was to have 3 spares for every one on the map and reassign owners and swap vehicles when this happened.

The long term fix has been to re write the scenarios to use the M113FO wagon (since the FIST V was never in our inventory).

This may well be a red herring but it might be worth testing it before the whole defensive plan hinges on a weapon system that might be faulty.

• 1 year later...

For some reason I cannot get mods of Blue vehicles to work. I have successfully installed mods for Red, but I can't get dpabrams M1A1 MERC mod (or other M1A1 mods) to show up in-game. Could this have something to do with the M1abrams_decals.dds file (which I do not have in my Mods\textures\TIS folder and, therefore, cannot use to replace the M1abrams_decals.dds file in the Woodlands folder as stated in dpabrams' instructions file). Or, is there supposed to be a M1A1.bmp file somewhere? Any help would be appreciated.

***edit*** I now see the problem. This mod is for the M1, not the M1A1.