Zipuli

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are ASLAVs Amphibious?

If so you make it a joint Rescue/Training exercise. :)

Sure but the idea is to help people.

Not come up to their verandah and say “Surprise, the Cavalry is here!” and then find out that under the water you have driven through / over their submerged glass house, granny flat, whatever (even if the floodwater has probably already smashed it anyway). :)

As with the earlier deployment, I intend to standardise on US type reports and returns, namely:

Excerpts from FM 3-20.98, Appendix B:

SPOT REPORT (SPOTREP)

WHEN USED:

B-5. A SPOTREP is used when scouts observe any known or suspected threat activity, when they observe any characteristic of the area of operations likely to affect accomplishment of the mission, or when required by the OPORD. Always send threat information in the clear. A SPOTREP takes priority over all other routine radio traffic. The initial SPOTREP should follow no more than 1 minute after the contact report.

FORMAT:

B-6. State "SPOTREP" or "UPDATED SPOTREP," followed by pertinent information on these lines:

Line ALPHA: Observer or source (omit if it is the calling station; use call signs or description otherwise).

Line BRAVO: Activity or characteristic being observed. Use the SALUTE format:

Size: The number of sighted personnel, vehicles, or other equipment.

Activity: What the threat is doing.

Unit: Patches, signs, or markings.

Time: Time the activity was observed.

Equipment: Description or identification of all equipment associated with the activity.

Line CHARLIE: Actions you have taken and your recommendations. Actions usually involve conducting additional reconnaissance to determine the complete threat situation or recommending and executing a specific course of action.

Line DELTA: Self-authentication (if required).

NOTE: Report the center of mass of identical, closely grouped items. Otherwise, report multiple grid coordinates of traces (from ________to ________).

EXAMPLE

B-7. “YANKEE 27, THIS IS YANKEE 23. SPOTREP, OVER. ONE BRDM, STATIONARY, ORIENTED SOUTH AT GRID MS289546; 1725 HOURS. CONTINUING TO OBSERVE, OVER.”

SITUATION REPORT (SITREP)

WHEN USED:

B-8. The SITREP is submitted by subordinate units to their higher headquarters to report their tactical situation and status. It is submitted daily at 0600 and 1800 hours, after significant events, or as otherwise requested by the platoon leader or commander.

FORMAT:

B-9. State "SITREP," followed by pertinent information on these lines:

Line 1: The as-of date-time group (DTG).

Line 2: Brief summary of threat activity, casualties inflicted, and prisoners captured.

Line 3: Friendly locations (encoded using control measures or TIRS points). The following can be listed:

CP locations.

First subelement’s center of mass.

Second subelement’s center of mass.

Third subelement’s center of mass.

Any additional elements as necessary.

Line 4: Combat vehicles operational. The following types of vehicles can be listed:

Tanks.

CFVs.

APCs.

ITVs.

Mortar Vehicles.

AVLBs.

HMMWVs.

Line 5: Defensive obstacles (encoded using codes, control measures, or TIR points). The following can be listed:

Type and location of obstacles. Abbreviations can include MF (minefield), TD (tank ditch), AB (abatis), RC (road crater), and CW (concertina wire).

Type and location of executed demoliton targets.

Type and location of reserved demolition targets.

Line 6: Personnel strength, classified using these status levels:

GREEN: full strength; 90% or more fit for duty.

AMBER: reduced strength; 80 to 89% fit for duty.

RED: reduced strength; 60 to 79% fit for duty; the unit is mission-capable.

BLACK: reduced strength; 59% or less fit for duty.

Line 7: Classes III and V supplies available for combat vehicles. Status levels for ammunition and fuel are the same (GREEN, AMBER, RED, OR BLACK) as for personnel strength, with percentages referring to the amount of basic load level available. Refer to Line 6 of this report.

NOTE: If an item is reported as status level BLACK on lines 6 or 7, the appropriate logistics report must follow.

Line 8: Summary of tactical intentions.

EXAMPLE

B-10. “YANKEE 21, THIS IS YANKEE 02, SITREP, OVER. LINE 1: 062230. LINE 2: NEGATIVE CONTACT. LINE 3: VISIT 7. LINE 4B: 2. LINE 5: ABATIS, FROM X19 EAST ZERO POINT THREE NORTH ONE POINT SEVEN. LINE 6: GREEN. LINE 7A: GREEN. LINE 7B: AMBER. LINE 8: CONTINUING MISSION.”

"SITREP"

Line 1: 140220JUN8X (H-10)

Line 2: No Change (The whole Russian Army apparently)

Line 3: C TP, 1st Squadron, 3 ACR vic GR 920845

Line 4:

Tanks. 9 (4 fitted with ploughs)

CFVs. 13

APCs. 1 (FO)

ITVs. 0

Mortar Vehicles. 2

AVLBs. 0

HMMWVs. 1

Line 5: N/A

Line 6: Personnel strength, all GREEN.

Line 7: Classes III and V supplies available for combat vehicles. All GREEN.

As per earlier ConOps backbrief to Hardrock and subsequent SoM backbrief to CO (posted above).

Have plotted the various locations on the map to serve as reference points through the engagement.

The Sqn S2 showed me some fancy new pictures called LOS intervisibility charts or some mumbo jumbo cr*p. Based on these he reckons I need a couple of additional alternate BPs to cover the ground.

He also gave me a quantity of Polaroid camers to take pictures of the route and provide BDA for whoever comes behind us. I've distributed these throughout the Tp (at least one per Pl) and whenever possible I'll send these back with the HMMWV so you get timely data.

The guys are good to go and want to do their bit, not least to buy time for their familes who are being evacuated as we speak.

Updated trace attached.

BR0_H_hr.jpg.fd213b97071b26bbf89535b882e

BR0_H_hr.jpg.fd213b97071b26bbf89535b882e

"SITREP"

Line 1: 140230JUN8X (H+10)

Line 2: No Change

Line 3: Comd’s Team vic GR 945879 (PORTA WESTFALICA bridges), XO’s Team vic BP TOW1, BP Tk1

Line 4: No Change

CFVs. 13

APCs. 1 (FO)

ITVs. 0

Mortar Vehicles. 2

AVLBs. 0

HMMWVs. 1

Line 6: Personnel strength, all GREEN.

The XO’s Team encountered large amounts of what can only be described as routing soldiers moving West on E30.

No discipline, no guns at 6 O’clock to engage the enemy (or aid our ID of them as friendly). A mix of logistic, Mech (M113) and Tk units (M60 equipped) going West as fast as they could.

Some looked at us and cheered, some laughed, none turned around to help.

They were initially encountered at H+6 as his CFV PL left E30 heading for BP TOW1.

By H+10 both elements of his team were occupying their BPs (with him in depth). Adjusted Soviet Indirect fire was landing on NATO stragglers on E30.

Suspect their recce units are not too far away.

Map as at H+6, H+10 and Polaroids attached.

Meanwhile my Team encountered the carnage at PORTA WESTFALICA bridges. A mixture of destroyed West German military and civilian vehicles blocked both of the bridges at this site.

This will require extensive clearance work as there are wrecks on the near side, on the spans, and far sides.

Two x Cav Squads have been deployed to attempt the crossing on foot and set up a delaying position on the Western side.

No Enemy activity sighted as yet on the Northern flank.

56e83c980410a_H6.jpg.d1284292ae0fe2f3371

56e83c9807b57_H6a.jpg.e393bb525566a605ef

56e83c9809f44_H7Bridge.jpg.eb1759d8d07ed

56e83c980d45a_H7a.jpg.514bf7df375512ea2c

56e83c9811604_H8Dismount.jpg.6cdef4f9ff8

56e83c980410a_H6.jpg.d1284292ae0fe2f3371

56e83c9807b57_H6a.jpg.e393bb525566a605ef

56e83c9809f44_H7Bridge.jpg.eb1759d8d07ed

56e83c980d45a_H7a.jpg.514bf7df375512ea2c

56e83c9811604_H8Dismount.jpg.6cdef4f9ff8

H+18

Contact Report from rotary wing recon assets via Sqn HQ.

Suspected Soviet MR PL and FO sighted vic GR 9836 9154 (NE side of KLUS).

My M2s are just occupying BP TOW2 (the line NEESEN - LERBECK) and are probably in dead ground to them.

The M1s are moving through NEESEN approx. 1600 short of BP Tk3. They also maybe in dead ground but should be free to engage if they move towards the crossing at GR 950 911.

I may need to consider re routing them to BP Tk2 as if I don't cut that high speed East - West route into MINDEN (if only they didn't have the ploughs attached).

My FO may also gain "eyes on" as he approaches the OP loc.

No Contacts to the South at this stage.

H+19

Contact report from Sqn

Another Soviet APC (no doubt part of a MR PL) spotted vic GR 9625 9283.

They are well North of my self imposed boundary of Route 65 and I don't want to get caught up in a MOUT engagement trying to find them in MINDEN.

Having supported the Cav squads crossing of the PORTA WESTFALICA bridges, my vehicle is moving North to check on the bridge vic GR 945 899 and I'll then move on to the Route 65 crossing. The Northern Tk PL (now 2 pairs of 2) will be busy at BP Tk2 and BP Tk3.

H+19

Update to earlier Contact report from Sqn

In addition to the Soviet APC (no doubt part of a MR PL) spotted vic GR 9625 9283 there is also a suspect anti armour team (AT-4?) vic GR 9596 9306.

I suspect the Eastern side of MINDEN may already be occupied by Soviet forces exploiting the gaps in our line and general confusion.

Edited by Gibsonm

"SITREP"

Line 1: 140250JUN8X (H+20)

Line 3: Comd’s Team vic GR 945879 (PORTA WESTFALICA bridges), BP Tk 2 and 3, BP TOW 2 (as per Trace). XO’s Team vic BP TOW1, BP Tk1 (as per Trace).

Line 4: Lost 1 x HMMWV to Indirect Fire

CFVs. 13

APCs. 1 (FO)

ITVs. 0

Mortar Vehicles. 2

AVLBs. 0

HMMWVs. 0

Line 6: Personnel strength, HMMWV crew BLACK, remainder GREEN.

XO’s Team have occupied BPs but apart from observing some Indirect Fire no Contacts reported.

My Team

Moving to occupy all three BPs. Have split Tk PL into two pairs (one pair per BP).

Multiple Contacts from Higher indicate that Soviets have already penetrated to MINDEN and have crossed the WESER (however not known in what strength).

No reports from West German forces last heard from in MINDEN.

Have sustained some casualties due to Indirect Fire (possibly called in by the Recon elm now sighted West of the WESER).

Dismounts almost across to Western side of WESER, however not strong enough to move North into MINDEN given reported Soviet strength.

Tk moves denoted by blue arrows on Trace.

If Soviet strength continues to grow, may have to recombine the pairs back into a PL.

56e83c9857d6b_H20.jpg.5b8a4acc028e0f63ee

56e83c9857d6b_H20.jpg.5b8a4acc028e0f63ee

H+23

Contact!

The Tks in BP Tk1 are engaging the PCs coming along E30.

My Tk has reached the bridge at GR 945 899. It too is blocked to vehicular traffic.

The Tks in my Team are now occupying BP Tk 2 and 3.

Another NATO column has been sighted coming West along Route 65. Lead elm approx. 1000 East of KLUS.

Hope they don't get intermingled with the Soviets spotted earlier around KLUS.

H+35

The Tk pair moving fwd from BP Tk2 to greet the Soviet Tks coming along Route 65 (I've est a snap engagement area on the Western side of KLUS) have encounterd and dealt with the PCs (BMP2) identified there earlier.

Soviet Tks still approaching.

Edited by Gibsonm

"SITREP"

Line 1: 140320JUN8X (H+50)

Line 3: Comd’s Team vic GR 945879 (PORTA WESTFALICA bridges), BP Tk 2 and 3, BP TOW 2 (as per Trace). XO’s Team vic BP TOW1, BP Tk1 (as per Trace).

Line 4: Lost 1 x HMMWV to Indirect Fire

CFVs. 13

APCs. 1 (FO)

ITVs. 0

Mortar Vehicles. 2

AVLBs. 0

HMMWVs. 0

Line 6: Personnel strength, HMMWV crew BLACK, remainder GREEN.

XO’s Team have engaged and destroyed a MR PL (BMP2).

My Team

Have engaged and destroyed a MR PL (BMP2) and a couple of BMP2s

So far the only bridge that can support vehicular traffic is the Route 65 bridge at GR 950 911.

Dismounts on Western side of WESER, however not strong enough to move North into MINDEN given reported Soviet strength.

Updated Trace attached.

56e83c9862f38_H50.jpg.8fae2b85f8aae0cfa1

56e83c9862f38_H50.jpg.8fae2b85f8aae0cfa1

Edited by Gibsonm