Ideas for SBProPE scenarios/campaigns:

JohnO

Ok, now these are just ideas and thinking about Korea and the Middle East.

WW3

1st West German Corps Sector:

Scenario 1:

“Second Echelon”, the 1st GDR MRD first echelon has been repulsed by the 3rd Panzer Brigade, 1st Panzer Division at a moderate loss to the brigade. The East Germans second echelon follows the first in pressing the attack. The 1st Panzer Division has been resupplied with ammunition. 1st Panzergrenadier Brigade takes the blunt from the second echelon attack. 2nd Panzer Brigade is held as reserve.

Scenario 2:

“Battle at Munster”, as the commander of the 11th Panzergrenadier Division looks over the situation map in his command TOC, he sees that the division is being hit hard from the 8th GDR Motorized Rifle Division; he makes a decision to conduct a retrograde with the 32nd Panzergrenadier Brigade set up to delay the enemy so that the rest of the division can withdraw back to the town of Munster and to setup defense. Once the 11th Panzergrenadier Division is in their positions, the 32nd Panzergrenadier Brigade begins to pull back drawing the enemy into a trap.

Scenario 3:

“Race for the Bridges”, 3rd Panzer Division sector had been relatively quiet during the initial attacks from the Warsaw Pact forces. The 1st Panzer Division and the 11th Panzergrenadier Division was receiving the full blunt of the attacks from the enemy forces during D+1. The 3rd Panzer Division commander received a flash message that an enemy air assault element was heading towards the town of Celle to secure the airfield and bridges for the 9th GDR Panzer Division to push through. The town must not fall into enemy hands. If the enemy forces secure and hold the bridges, they have a clean shot to the town of Nienburg, then onto the Ems River. The 7th Panzergrenadier Brigade being the closet one to the town of Celle, begins racing towards the town of Celle to secure the bridges.

Scenario 4:

“Defense of a River Line”, (river crossing by West German forces at Verden), the 11th Panzergrenadier Division caused the 8th GDR MRD to fall back to regroup after the battle at Munster but with heavy losses. The commander received an urgent message that an enemy MRR had bypassed your positions and is heading towards the town of Verden. You need to send forces there to stop them from crossing the Aller River. The GDR MRR got to the town of Verden and has setup defense around the bridges. With the 31st Panzergrenadier Brigade still at 80% strength, the 31st had the task to retake the bridges.

1st British Corps Sector:

Scenario 1:

“Probe”, with the Soviet forces advancing after a massive bombardment from rockets and artillery into the town of Braunschweig. The 7th Guards Tank Division begins to probe the defensive lines of the 6th Armoured Brigade, 3rd Armored Division. If the positions are weak after the bombardment, the probing forces must push through and create a breach for the 7th GTD. If the resistance is substantial, then the probe must attack the enemy to destroy them. If not able to destroy the forces, then to tie them down to cause the British to commit their reserves.

Scenario 2:

“Meeting Engagement”, with the 4th Armoured Division in their defensive positions, the commander was pondering to sit and wait for the enemy forces to engage his forces. After looking at the map and making the decision to not wait for the enemy but to engage the enemy forces head-on. The 4th Armoured Division moves forward of their defensive lines to engage the enemy. Tally-Ho!! This action caught the 12th Guards Tank Division by surprise.

Scenario 3:

“Battle for Hildesheim”, (need to rethink this one)

Scenario 4:

“A Bridge to Far”, with the Soviet forces advanced stalled, due to the intense fighting by the British forces. The Soviets attempted an Airmobile Assault to gain new ground and to secure the bridges for the 3rd Shock Army. The 3rd Shock Air Assault Battalion, air assaulted into the town of Hameln, but unbeknownst to them, that the 3rd Brigade, 2nd Armoured Division was already there as the reserves for the British sector. The Soviets have fallen into a similar fate that the British Allies did during WW2, “A Bridge to Far”.

Scenario 5:

“Forward Defense of a River Line (Hameln)”, after repelling the 3rd Shock Air Assault Battalions attempt to secure and hold the bridges at the town of Hameln. The 3rd Brigade, 2nd Armoured Division task is to regroup and conduct a hasty defense for an attack from the 47th Guards Tank Division that is heading towards the besieged remnants of the 3rd Shock Air Assault Battalion.

Scenario 6:

“Attack to Relieve a Pocket”, the commander of the 7th Panzer division, felt that he had lost the battle before it ever begun with the defense to hold the town of Hildesheim. With half his command destroyed from the air and the rest of the 7th Panzer Division completely surrounded by the 10th Guards Tank Division forces. The 7th will be rescued come hell or high water stated the 1st British Corps Commander. Taking a great risk, the commander of the American 2nd Armored Division, volunteered to send the 1st Brigade to rescue the besieged 7th Panzer Division. Help was on the way, if the 7th could just hold out a little longer.

More to come!!

Edited by JohnO

Well so much for the BOAR scenarios :redface: I guess the German scenarios wont go well either, oh well, will go back under the rock.

Well not quite.

At least there you have Leo I / II and Marder.

I’ve not tried it but I believe through a combination of tweaking the ammunition and “damaging” stuff that’s too new (say TI) you can get a suitable 1980s look alike.

If I read the planings of your campaigns, I count the month of gardering :(

Braunschweig is blank, the north of the Hannover-map is really unready.

Hameln needs a house-update. The Leine-valley is far away from playability

Better the planings about something like yours goes on the maps that are finished.

For the "Brave Rifles 3" I count 40 h to update a area of 15 x 20 km !

And if the are a new city to build up it takes the double of the time.

But feel free to design your map yourself, the gardener group could be assist :)

Concerning campains am maps:

I'm still working on the map setup of northern AFG...it is still a loooong way to go till they are playable. If SB ever gets a "multi-party capeability" this could be basis of some interesting scenarios.

To get away from FULDA GAP into todays world 8-)

But so far scenarios that where offered in that context didn't get much of a response.

My impression is that the lack of civilians an other distarctions reduces tension andmakes the time till an engament to long and boring.

Also(another personel impression) is that most guys from the "cold war generation" do not understand the concept of COIN or similar missions AND are extremely unwilling to try and learn (about)them.

Yes,

I’m not sure if John is aware of the “scope of works“ here.

John - Think of CM:SF map creation effort but doing 20 x 10 km instead of 2 x 1. :)

That’s why most scenarios “borrow” existing maps rather than start with a blank sheet. Of course if you do have the mapping data for these areas, I suspect a few people will buy you multiple beers. :)

Actually I went from modern to WW3 because even if the Congo campaign was tons of fun, there was two problems: lack of civvies/units that cannot be ID'd as enemies and more importantly the lack of sensible action for players... Most don't enjoy patrolling in light vehicles, being hit by invisible IEDs and not firing at targets... That's why it soon turned into limited conventional warfare... COIN is undoable in SB at the moment, and it is NO FUN! Maybe with the next update.....?

• Members

...and it begs the question whether it will ever going to be "fun". I'm skeptical. High intensity combat has much better entertainment value, which inevitably is another dividing line between training requirements and quality entertainment.

I mean, just look at chess. It isn't about persuading the black pieces to become white. It's about kicking them off the board.

I'm still working on the map setup of northern AFG...it is still a loooong way to go till they are playable. If SB ever gets a "multi-party capeability" this could be basis of some interesting scenarios.

What area are you working on? Mazar, Konduz, Faizabad?

I don't know how effective this idea might be, but I thought that I'd mention it. If a couple of guys had access to a program like Global Mapper (or something similar) then different people could work on different shape files. Someone works on road, another on water, etc. Then each shape file could be imported onto the SB height map. This way you could have people working on the map at the same time.

Dark Angel might have some other suggestions about simutaneous map making, as he's probably forgotten more about maps then I'll ever know. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just so you guys know, these were my scenarios that I was going to work on for another game. Right now reading the book "Sword Point" about the invasion of Iran by the Soviets and the Americans trying to stop them from taking the Strait of Hormuz. Looking at the 29Palms map it could work for battles north of Bandar Abbas. But it has been brought to my attention that some players hate playing in the desert :)

What area are you working on? Mazar, Konduz, Faizabad?

I don't know how effective this idea might be, but I thought that I'd mention it. If a couple of guys had access to a program like Global Mapper (or something similar) then different people could work on different shape files. Someone works on road, another on water, etc. Then each shape file could be imported onto the SB height map. This way you could have people working on the map at the same time.

Dark Angel might have some other suggestions about simutaneous map making, as he's probably forgotten more about maps then I'll ever know. :)

Well, I'm currently gardening the area where 2 roads, one named after a gas-giant and one after an ex-planet, meet...and the area between it.

The one who can post a google map pic of the area gets a cooki ;-)

After doing a map recon of the AOR I decided to go ahead and make a attempt on making a scenario with my scenario 4 and 5 and maybe 6 but not all at once :), thats why I was asking about helicopters landing on another thread.

Stay tune to these channels.

Mark, I'm going to be asking you allot of questions, ok.

Forgot to mention, it will be the 21st Panzer Brigade from Augustdorf. There will be Leo2 and Marders along with other vehicles. And yes Mark there will be a recon mission before the main battle.