My impression about SB

Wolverine

Hello!

I was looking tonite at some videos made from players of SB, and I have to say that graphics are not that good, has a matter of fact, it's really bad. Is it the videos or the game really look that bad graphically?

But I have to say for what I have seen about a campaign video on google, that I was watching the immersion looks great. All the comms and the fight going on, looks really good.

• Members

The quality of scene rendering is a matter of personal taste, so I'm not sure how to answer the question (if it really was one) whether it is "really that bad". I concede that things could be done to embellish the scene rendering. I'd like to point out at the same time that a bit was done already in past updates, and that we will certainly continue to improve our engine over time.

But i think you already gave a part of the answer yourself - if immersion is great, the quality of scene rendering can't be too bad. Or, in other words, suspension and action are usually at a level that the least you'll be bothered with is the scene rendering.

It could be made better, yes. But there is always the question where our priorities should be. Our emphasis is on realistic procedures, realistic outcomes, and that at the price of "adequate" graphics. Beautiful screenshots may draw some people towards a game, but it is immersive gameplay that keeps them interested, and I think we got the second part right.

The quality of scene rendering is a matter of personal taste, so I'm not sure how to answer the question (if it really was one) whether it is "really that bad". I concede that things could be done to embellish the scene rendering. I'd like to point out at the same time that a bit was done already in past updates, and that we will certainly continue to improve our engine over time.

But i think you already gave a part of the answer yourself - if immersion is great, the quality of scene rendering can't be too bad. Or, in other words, suspension and action are usually at a level that the least you'll be bothered with is the scene rendering.

It could be made better, yes. But there is always the question where our priorities should be. Our emphasis is on realistic procedures, realistic outcomes, and that at the price of "adequate" graphics. Beautiful screenshots may draw some people towards a game, but it is immersive gameplay that keeps them interested, and I think we got the second part right.

Well I did not want to insult anyone, I was just giving my impressions about the graphics of SB, but for what I have seen on videos made by players on google, the immersion looks GREAT not too say FANTASTIC.

Like you said graphics could have been better, and I believe that you can have a great immersion in a sim like SB, and also have much better graphics also.

I don't have the game yet, and I am still thinking about if I should buy or not. Not sure yet, if I want to buy a $125.00 dollars game with very average graphics, but with GREAT immersion. That's pretty expensive for a game don't you think?

Again I did not want to complain about the game itself but instead to give my first impressions about the very average not to say the low graphics quality. That's all!

Thank you! :)

Like you said graphics could have been better, and I believe that you can have a great immersion in a sim like SB, and also have much better graphics also.

Some of the more techncially competent minds here can comment on how much comprehensive background calculations are going on in this sim. I just say: lines of sight - trees - many vehicles with many different sensors and viewing angles

I don't have the game yet, and I am still thinking about if I should buy or not. Not sure yet, if I want to buy a $125.00 dollars game with very average graphics, but with GREAT immersion. That's pretty expensive for a game don't you think?

Although being handled by us civilians like a game, it is created not with being a game for the popular market in mind.

On the pricing, would you mind to read my 3rd and 5th posting over here where I reflected on my way of thinking about the price:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=178711

I indeed think that for what you get, SBP is hilariously cheap. Compare it to the many hundreds of bucks you would need to spend for VBS and its different modules, for example!

It depends on what you want. If the sim'S focus is your object of interest, then it is cheap because it will get you going for years. If you just think of it as a game that maybe you will drop again in some weeks or months, then it is expensive. Learn what it is that you get for your money, and on the basis of that decide!

Again I did not want to complain about the game itself but instead to give my first impressions about the very average not to say the low graphics quality. That's all!

Thank you! :)

Well for starters its not a game. :)

What you are considering buying is a civilianised version of a military training tool.

Certainly where I use it we don't actually care much about the graphics. By that I'm sure the trainees are glad that they look like tanks etc. (as opposed to say black boxes) but the fundamental requirement is that the drills they learn on actual equipment can be replicated on the computer to a very large degree.

The graphics are important but not the overriding consideration - at least from the ADF's point of view.

Many of the Vehicle models have been improved in the last few updates and to my eyes SBP never looked better. The work of the communities skinners also keep the visual gratification at a high level.

Sure graphically it misses some features seen in other sims (shadows, visual suspension etc). But the eye candy is still there belive me. Where it excels is the rendering of the landscape and its impact on the units. The immersion is there believe me, weather your creeping cautiously through a forest, or sneaking through a valley, it looks very convincing.

But dont forget, whilst other sims may look "better" on the surface there is a massive amount of depth and realism in SBP, you simply wont find anywhere else. As far as other tank sims go, you can forget it. ;)

To be honest, once your strapped inside your tank, you wont even notice the graphics. That ability to transport you wholeheartedly into the simulation and raise your pulse as one of your tanks gets taken out by a shoot you dont even know originated from is unrivalled IMHO. Apart from the challenge it brings home the speed and brutality of modern warfare beautifully.

Another aspect that may not be apparent from the videos is that SPB is top draw is the sound department.

Again this adds to the immersion a great deal. The sounds (and mods produced by the community) are outstanding. Watching your target explode 2km away and then hearing the report of the explosion seconds later helps create the sense of space and distance. The sounds of battle can be overwhelming in their intensity and magnitude or you may even turn off your engine and listen to bird song (or sounds of distant battle if you prefer) and listen out approaching tanks. Again its imersifying in the extreme.

In many videos there is accompanying music, which means that these effects are dampend down and dont come across.

So dont just judge this book by its cover. Whilst the graphics are good, its real strength is what it sets out to accomplish (a hardcore hyper-realistic modern tank sim) and the way in which it succeds in convincing you your not sat infront of a pc, but actually taking part in a war. :eek2:

It's a best tank simulator! Buy now and GO in war. Very interesting! Future better >

I see SB as more of a game, than anything.

I say this because there are several bugs that prevent it from becoming a true "simulator". AI pathfinding being the biggest issue, in my opinion as well as a game killer, to be honest.

I wouldnt steer anyone away from getting Steel Beasts, because honestly there's not much out there right now, and with current trends it looks like there wont be anything else like this for a while.

If you've ever played Armed Assault using the High Command modual (and enjoyed it) then you'll enjoy Steel Beasts.

If you enjoy making maps and missions without having a Ph.D in C++ programming, then you'll enjoy it. The mission editor in SB is the BEST I've ever used in any game.

$125 is a little steep, but like I said above...there's nothing else out there. $125 is what you'd spend on two of those terrible Call of Doody games, anyway.

EDIT: Oh, and I also forgot - SB has a great community..If you ever have any questions about the game or multiplayer, you can log into the public TS and there is most likely someone that will help you.

I see SB as more of a game, than anything.

I say this because there are several bugs that prevent it from becoming a true "simulator". AI pathfinding being the biggest issue, in my opinion as well as a game killer, to be honest.

Yeah.....you don't hear the phrase " Thats a SIM killer for me"

to often, but the AI pathfinding was better a version back and I am sure it will be improved on in the next patch/upgrade.

Well I did not want to insult anyone, I was just giving my impressions about the graphics of SB, but for what I have seen on videos made by players on google, the immersion looks GREAT not too say FANTASTIC.

Isn't this a bit like walking up to a potential girlfriend and saying " In my opinion your face looks like dog ass, but I am sure you are fun to hang out with" ?

My 2 cents. I consider myself quite a big "gamer" so I usually pick up everything worthwhile that is out there in various genres. However there are only 3 games that will surely be on my harddrive and I'll keep on playing actively & regularly even after 30 years from now: Mortal Kombat, the original Doom (I-II) and Steel Beasts.

I just wanted to emphasize that SB is "that" good - for me at least, and a definite keeper & "sidekick" for the upcoming years.

When I look at some of the C2 simulators we Brits use in comparison to what you can do with SB, SB is fantastic and worth every bit of money. I would kill to have a sweet of computers at Sqn level to run my comds through varying tactical problems.

Map-Ex and Planning Ex in the classroom followed by execution on the Sim - better than racking up pointless track-miles.

The on-line community also make this a fantastic piece of software. It is a good mix of serving and retired military and loads of non mil who keep us in our boxes.

Graphics are not everything...

Hi again,

First thank to all of you guy's and girls ( if any ) giving me your feedback about how this sim is really are to you. BTW I did not juged the game or sim I should say, but again I was giving my first impressions about what I have see on the net about this sim so far, and again graphically, it is not the BEST game not to say the worst game, when we look at graphics, period.

Again I don't have the game yet, but has for immersion for what I have seen on the net,it seem's very realistic, if we look at the in game sounds, at all the vehicules, etc. My ONLY commetn was the graphics, that's all.

I will keep looking at videos that I can find on the net, and read about this game, oops sim ( sorry ), and maybe I will buy it, if I find what I am looking for, when speaking of immersion of war. I am very interested of course, cause in one part I was a soldier in my younger years, in Canadian Armed Forces and French Foreign Legion, so I know really, trust me, what immersion and reality of war is.

Again thank you for all your view, comments, and impression about SB Pre PE :)

I am very interested of course, cause in one part I was a soldier in my younger years, in Canadian Armed Forces and French Foreign Legion, so I know really, trust me, what immersion and reality of war is.

Tell about the Legion, where you was when?

Tell about the Legion, where you was when?

I don't really want to get into my past year in FFL or Canadian Forces, my point was just, to let the sceptic about me, that I knew a little bit about realism, that's all. But if you want to know, I was based at Camp Raffali, and was part of 2eREP from 82 to 88.

Hi again,

First thank to all of you guy's and girls ( if any ) giving me your feedback about how this sim is really are to you. BTW I did not juged the game or sim I should say, but again I was giving my first impressions about what I have see on the net about this sim so far, and again graphically, it is not the BEST game not to say the worst game, when we look at graphics, period.

Again I don't have the game yet, but has for immersion for what I have seen on the net,it seem's very realistic, if we look at the in game sounds, at all the vehicules, etc. My ONLY commetn was the graphics, that's all.

I will keep looking at videos that I can find on the net, and read about this game, oops sim ( sorry ), and maybe I will buy it, if I find what I am looking for, when speaking of immersion of war. I am very interested of course, cause in one part I was a soldier in my younger years, in Canadian Armed Forces and French Foreign Legion, so I know really, trust me, what immersion and reality of war is.

Again thank you for all your view, comments, and impression about SB Pre PE :)

Don't worry about your comments...but sometimes even slight criticism smells like heresy to the true deciples of THE LIST.

Ah, and of course: *hail the list*

;-)

Ok, seriously, people allready said what they like about the sim, and I can only second that.

Yes, there are games with more "eyecandy", but few if any get to the same level of realism.