Ka-52 Alligator

mp96

In the Eagle Dynamics simulation "DCS Black Shark," rotor collisions are not uncommon in combat situations. One second you're flying along in a state-of-the-art attack helo, the next you're in a state-of-the-art rock falling from the sky...with almost no warning. Ejection seat...it's a good thing.

Special care concerning rotor wash is also necessary. There's even an "automatic descent mode" in which a computer determines the safe descent speed. (Which is usually just under the speed of molasses running uphill.) All things considered, I don't see any major advantages to the coaxial setup.

Usually a big fuss is made over the helo's ability to strafe at high speeds and the unique "funnel" manoever, during which the helo can maintain line-of-fire on a target whilst strafing in a circular pattern. (The nose is pitched down to about 40° [iIRC] and the helo "orbits" the target.) But c'mon...seriously. How often is that going to be a viable option? Even in the sim it will get you shot down more often than not. All that being said, I still love DCS!

But I just play games...what do I know? ;)

The Sikorsky X2 combines many of the advantages of the coaxial rotor system, but instead uses it in a rigid rotor arrangement with a rear mounted prop to reach around 220-240 knots of speed, around the same speed as an A-10, with the ability to hover, and there is a far lower chance of the rotor blades intersected because of the rigid rotor system.

Also it has a system that dynamically deloads the rotors as the speed ramps up, greatly increasing it's top speed.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...