Gunsight smoke

JohnN

I just my copy of steel beasts and going through the tutorials and its hard not to notice that every time you fire the cannon alot of smoke rises up from nowhere and its hard to see the target is this normal reality or can you somehow lose the smoke. its kind of frustrating Tjanks for feedback John

I just my copy of steel beasts and going through the tutorials and its hard not to notice that every time you fire the cannon alot of smoke rises up from nowhere and its hard to see the target is this normal reality or can you somehow lose the smoke. its kind of frustrating Tjanks for feedback John

It's realistic. In fact, I think even SB is a little generous.

The first time I ever fired a round during a daytime gunnery I was amazed at how little I could see. "Lost!"

Last night I was watching Megafactories about the Lima plant refurbing M1 tanks into M1A2 TUSKs at the end of the feature they showed the final product out on the range during a live fire exercise. In the dessert sand the tanks kicked up an amazing amount of dust, you couldnt see the tank for a couple of seconds after it had fired.

Now the systems they showed inside the turret makes the M1A1 we have in SB look very dated. It was very intresting seeing them bore sight and align the weapons in the factory.

Ah hah found it on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RKvk1wk0Wk

Edited by Alicatt
added link

If smoke does not come out of the barrel then it means the bore evacuator is not working properly and, consequently, the inside of the tank will be filled with smoke instead. But yes, most of the stuff you see is dust.

That leaves me with the question if a tank running with active ABC protection protocols actually can fire in a contaminated environment - or does the crew risk contamination when reloading the gun and the hatch must be opened to enter the next round? Can such tanks just move through such areas, but not fight/fire in them? I think especially of bacteriological agents.

Never thought of it before.

That leaves me with the question if a tank running with active ABC protection protocols actually can fire in a contaminated environment - or does the crew risk contamination when reloading the gun and the hatch must be opened to enter the next round? Can such tanks just move through such areas, but not fight/fire in them? I think especially of bacteriological agents.

Never thought of it before.

i believe the overpressure system keeps outside air from entering the interior, even with the hatches open.

I'm quite impressed at all the response on this forum its ecouraging to know that theres people out there than will help with queries. Im sure ill have alot of them. Im trying to train a retired U.S. Army Command Sargent Major and thats not going to be an easy task hes got alot of credentals especially in bullets if you know what i mean. As far as the dust i was just wondering if wat i see in steel beasts was dust or actual smoke from the discharge. i would assume that its smoke exhausted after the round is discharged that they want to portray and depict and from all the great feedback from you guys gave i can see its a messy affair for the boys and i can appreciate more what they have to contnd with under real conditions Thanks bye for now JohnN

In my experience there is no modern MBT that needs hatches open to load the main armament, perhaps the question was only about opening the breech. In the case of the British it is standard practice to load a further round in order to maintain a closed seal.

As regards to the consequences of firing ie, Blast, Platform Rock, Heat Shimmer and Dust, this is also affected by wind direction, weather and other local conditions.

Most if not all British MBT KE ammunition does not even have trace element, as it is accepted that by the time the sight picture has cleared the round will allready have kicked the door down at the target end.

Irish

Edited by IrishHussar
spelling

Ugh. I remember spending hours in MOPP 4. That really sucked. But, it was great training!

Yeah I remember, I was station in Korea in 2002. I had spend many hours training in MOPP 4. Yeah, I believe the training was very effective. There was time in 2003 in Iraq, when we thought a explosive might have contained chemicals agents. I remember having to open my hatch and check with the M25 kit if I can remember correctly, to see if there were any chemical agents in the air. Thank God there was no chemical agents, I was scared shitless!!:gun:

Thanks for your response.

Does the smoke come out of the barrel or is that dust that just flies up from the ground. John

First there is the blinding hot flash followed by a full concusion that lifts the dirt around it obscurring the Gunners Primary Sight (GPS) in the daylight channel. Most M1 Gunners utilize the "Thermal Mode" as it is not so obscured. The blue/grey smoke puff that you see at the end of the cannon tube once the gun has gone back into battery is the Bore Evacuator creating a negative presure within the barrel thus forcing the gases out of the turret. Failure of the bore evac not working (Normally glogged with grease) results in the gases escaping into the turret crew compartment. The M1 is equipt with turret blowers that help clear the unwanted gas.

p.s. There is nothing like on this planet! HOOOOOOOOOOOOORAH!

Well that's the rub. Typically if you're less than 1500m to the target firing sabot you'll have to rely on your wingman for sensing as you'll never see the round's flight in your day sight and even with thermals the static-field will obscure the half-second or so. So let's see, M-829A3 with a M/V of 1680m/s...now HEAT, that's a different story. :)