M1A1 (HA) 11 ACR circa 1989

dpabrams

Front turret armor weld lines are in improper position. I think it is based on Hunnicutt's books drawings (desinformation? ;)).

Here are how weld lines look on the real thing.

m1a1135.jpg

m1a1137.jpg

It looks like the weld lines in Hunnicutt's book and on the model are based on the basic M1, without adding additional 9 inches (220mm) of armor added in M1IP/M1A1.

This is only suggestion however. :-)

Front turret armor weld lines are in improper position. I think it is based on Hunnicutt's books drawings (desinformation? ;)).

Here are how weld lines look on the real thing.

It looks like the weld lines in Hunnicutt's book and on the model are based on the basic M1, without adding additional 9 inches (220mm) of armor added in M1IP/M1A1.

This is only suggestion however. :-)

i guess the hunnicut book drawings were of the M1A1 and not the M1A1/HA.

the M1A1 turret however IS longer than the M1 in SB.

turretsizecomparison.jpg

the M1A1 has less protection than the M1A1(HA)

you can tell an A1 apart from an A1(HA) apart by looking at the GPS, which received an armour upgrade, giving it a square shape instead of having an angle on its back, and on the turret side the serial number ends with a "u".

i guess the hunnicut book drawings were of the M1A1 and not the M1A1/HA.

Yes I know but externally there are no difference between M1A1 and M1A1HA.

the M1A1 turret however IS longer than the M1 in SB.

Yes I know, I only reffered to turret texture that it is inproper, it was only my personall opinion.

the M1A1 has less protection than the M1A1(HA)

you can tell an A1 apart from an A1(HA) apart by looking at the GPS, which received an armour upgrade, giving it a square shape instead of having an angle on its back, and on the turret side the serial number ends with a "u".

Yes I know that.

However Dejawolf I wan't to ask for help in messure of turret front armor thickness. Ok So with friend we messured front turret armor of M1A1/A2 as 960mm (from the pure frontal aspect), this means from outside to inside it is 960mm, S.Zaloga mentioned in his book that from M1 turret was thickened by 220mm (9 inches), so this means that M1 got 740mm thick turret front armor. Is this is correct? At least looks so.

Yes I know but externally there are no difference between M1A1 and M1A1HA.

Yes I know, I only reffered to turret texture that it is inproper, it was only my personall opinion.

Yes I know that.

However Dejawolf I wan't to ask for help in messure of turret front armor thickness. Ok So with friend we messured front turret armor of M1A1/A2 as 960mm (from the pure frontal aspect), this means from outside to inside it is 960mm, S.Zaloga mentioned in his book that from M1 turret was thickened by 220mm (9 inches), so this means that M1 got 740mm thick turret front armor. Is this is correct? At least looks so.

garbage and misinformation.

Edited by dejawolf

:shocked:

This is something I did not expected! So this further prooves that new turrets are manufactured, or older ones are totally rebuilded.

You have this data in some graphics? Because for the first look turret of the M1A1 have the same LOS thickness of frontal armor as M1A2SEP.

You can send me these info's on PM if we doing big OT.

:shocked:

This is something I did not expected! So this further prooves that new turrets are manufactured, or older ones are totally rebuilded.

You have this data in some graphics? Because for the first look turret of the M1A1 have the same LOS thickness of frontal armor as M1A2SEP.

You can send me these info's on PM if we doing big OT.

i spent 2 hours double checking pictures, and i was wrong. seems like the only increase in length of turret is from M1, to M1A1.

the M1A1 seems to have the same turret length as M1A1(HA) and M1A2 SEP.