trophy APS ignored by US army.

dejawolf

First, it's Boomerang, not boomerange (ain't the US public school system grand?).

Second...sorry Deja...Boomerang is acoustic, not radar:

http://www.defense-update.com/products/b/Boomerang.htm

Third, the Trophy system is an Israeli-made product. Raytheon is an American defense contractor with lots of retired US military on its payroll and lots of plants creating jobs in lots of Congressional districts. Do the math :)

http://www.defense-update.com/products/t/trophy.htm

HT

Its a safe bet that there are officers in whatever project managers office oversees this,that have a significant interest in seeing APS fielded over Trophy. The fact that it may be years before its fielded, or that there is a system already available doesnt enter the equation.

"Makes it tough to do a Google search when it isn't spelled correctly."

Why do you need to depend on someone elses spelling to do a google search? I only ask because you are a self proclaimed expert on spell check.

i thought when he said boomerang, he referred to the shape of the device, and not to the name of a system since he said it like trophy was actually fielded on the stryker.

so is trophy APS fielded as well as boomerang? is boomerang an integral part of trophy?

• Members
Isn't counterbattery tech fairly commonplace? I admit, I haven't read the article, but my stepfather was describing to me the principals of FADAC and CBRs when I was in my teens.

The idea is to shoot down the incoming projectiles, at least around fixed installations. Counter-battery fire will still be performed, but by different units.

i thought when he said boomerang, he referred to the shape of the device, and not to the name of a system since he said it like trophy was actually fielded on the stryker.

so is trophy APS fielded as well as boomerang? is boomerang an integral part of trophy?

I havent seen Trophy on the Stryker. In fact, I havent seen the Trophy system on any vehicles in Iraq. We use Slat armor as a RPG deterrent, alot of veterans from the 2004-2005 deployment say it worked well - that was back when the insurgents were crazy enough to fire RPG's at Strykers :-)

I dont really know what to think of it either. I'm not crazy about having an independent explosive system on my truck. Haha. God forbid the thing went off with friendlies in the area. Also not crazy about adding more weight to the vehicle. More weight = less mobility.

I havent seen Trophy on the Stryker. In fact, I havent seen the Trophy system on any vehicles in Iraq. We use Slat armor as a RPG deterrent, alot of veterans from the 2004-2005 deployment say it worked well - that was back when the insurgents were crazy enough to fire RPG's at Strykers :-)

I dont really know what to think of it either. I'm not crazy about having an independent explosive system on my truck. Haha. God forbid the thing went off with friendlies in the area. Also not crazy about adding more weight to the vehicle. More weight = less mobility.

well, trophy has the benefit that its lightweight, (lighter than the stryker slat cages)

it should make it easier to manouver in tight streets, as you don't have fences standing off from the sides of your vehicle.

as for the explosives: i don't think fragments from the incoming rockets, or rockets themselves are any good for the environment either.

think of it this way: to be hit by the APS defensive fragments, you'd have to be standing basically in the rockets trajectory...

Well they will hit something in close quarters and bounce around. They may hit another AFV besides you, they may hit a pole, garbage can, sign etc. Nothing is fool proof. however is a step in the "light"direction.

Nothing says "Get out of the way" like a cage around your veh though.