Aust CO-OP Campaign - Thoughts Mission #2

Gibsonm

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm afraid no Recce this time (that was Mission #1). :(

As to an outline of tasking etc. read the background brief and orders for Mission #1 and they pretty much set the standard for tasking and pre mission briefing

My bad. I meant to say, can we determine what we'll be assigned to, or what we can volunteer for, in Mission 2: infantry pl, tank tp, ech, etc? Then I (for one) can do some brushing up if I need to. If this is not feasible, no worries: I'll just try to refresh myself on everything, just in case! :)

Sure happy to take nominations.

However it often depends on who is there on the day (can’t have everyone flying helos if the tk jockeys don’t turn up). :)

So name you preference.

AMA

BMA

ECP2?

Control Measures

AMA = Artillery Manoeuvre Area (a grid square allocated to a SP Arty unit to move around in so they can avoid counter bty fire, but remain in rage - off limits to non artillery units). If its towed arty (coming to a battlefield near you soon) its an ARA (Artillery Reserved Area).

As the BG advances the Arty displaces to new AMAs so here the TP in AMA1 might go out of action, move forward to AMA7 and then go back into action to remain in range and ensure that the BG still gets the fire spt that has been allocated.

You as the log guy just need to know to keep your trucks out of those grid squares (hence the marked routes). After all don’t want your guys getting hit by counter bty fire meant for Hedgehog just because you drive through where he was just parked. :)

BMA = Brigade Maintenance Area. Where the BG Echelon gets its stuff from (the next link back in the supply chain).

ECP = Equipment Collection Point. Broken stuff is collected there for further back loading. So rather than your M88 forward drag it 20 Km to the workshop, it drags it say 5Km and then is released to return to the “front” to collect the next crock. A M88 from further back then collects it and drags it back further (or they put it on a truck).

So your fwd recovery assets remain fwd and you pass the veh cas back through a succession of recovery assets.

ECP1 = is “open” now just behind the fighting units. As they advance ECP2 (currently dotted as its proposed) will open and kit should theoretically go from ECP2 to ECP1 to A1 Echelon to A2 Echelon to BMA until it gets to a workshop / repair facility that can fix whatever’s wrong.

Ideally you should site one of your M88 / M113 Repair “pairs“ at each ECP to reflect this relay process but that maybe unwieldy. :)

Same thing happens on the medical side with casualty stabilisation points, etc. With what 350 in the assault force not including the Reserve someone will need to take the long way (not everyone is going to get a helo ride) and require successive stabilisation to extend the “golden hour” to as long as it takes.

Control Measures

AMA = Artillery Manoeuvre Area (a grid square allocated to a SP Arty unit to move around in so they can avoid counter bty fire, but remain in rage - off limits to non artillery units). If its towed arty (coming to a battlefield near you soon) its an ARA (Artillery Reserved Area).

As the BG advances the Arty displaces to new AMAs so here the TP in AMA1 might go out of action, move forward to AMA7 and then go back into action to remain in range and ensure that the BG still gets the fire spt that has been allocated.

You as the log guy just need to know to keep your trucks out of those grid squares (hence the marked routes). After all don’t want your guys getting hit by counter bty fire meant for Hedgehog just because you drive through where he was just parked. :)

Nah, let hedge take the shit he deserves! :D

Never heard of AMA before (wasnt much involved in the arty, the little we have here in sweden during my conscript time) but it makes perfect sence. A big part in controlling the battlespace and Main road and approaches, minimizing own possible casualtys and traffic jams.

BMA = Brigade Maintenance Area. Where the BG Echelon gets its stuff from (the next link back in the supply chain).

ECP = Equipment Collection Point. Broken stuff is collected there for further back loading. So rather than your M88 forward drag it 20 Km to the workshop, it drags it say 5Km and then is released to return to the “front” to collect the next crock. A M88 from further back then collects it and drags it back further (or they put it on a truck).

So your fwd recovery assets remain fwd and you pass the veh cas back through a succession of recovery assets.

Cpy, Finally a thing where the ADF and the Swedish QM units uses same principles! This is how I prefer it and have tried to do in other campaigns as well.

ECP1 = is “open” now just behind the fighting units. As they advance ECP2 (currently dotted as its proposed) will open and kit should theoretically go from ECP2 to ECP1 to A1 Echelon to A2 Echelon to BMA until it gets to a workshop / repair facility that can fix whatever’s wrong.

Ideally you should site one of your M88 / M113 Repair “pairs“ at each ECP to reflect this relay process but that maybe unwieldy. :)

My Intention is to have a M88/m113REP duo from A2 echelon at the ECP and having the M88/m113REP from A1 echelon close to the fighting (swedish standard is one terrain feature or 1km behind the fighting unit) so they quickly can move damaged vehicles to the ECP where the A2 Echelon M88 takes over and moves it further back if needed.

Same thing happens on the medical side with casualty stabilisation points, etc. With what 350 in the assault force not including the Reserve someone will need to take the long way (not everyone is going to get a helo ride) and require successive stabilisation to extend the “golden hour” to as long as it takes.

btw how does your Bn medical staff work? we have 2 identical Bn First Aid posts that works bounding. So one FAP is setup to recieve Cas and one is on the move forward, when its set up and ready to recieve Cas the other one close down and begin to move. Sweden has never been much for medevac thrue chopper (Right now our first true medevac assets ever is going down to afghanistan. Earlier we had to rely on Germand and US medevac) due to our "enemy" being russians with their almost 100% sure air superiority.

So to maintain that golden hour we have our medical assets close forward to the fighting. wich is both good and bad, depending on how the battle goes... (in one exercise a enemy tank Coy anhilitated our Bn FAP by misstake when they broke through the lines. they saw heat contacts in termals, dropped down 155mm arty and rushed the area, just to discover it was a Bn FAP...)

Great detail in all aspects and I'm sure the plan should run well at least untill "First Contact" LOL.

Just a small question do attacks like this still use direct fire "Firebases" ?

Its been a while since I have practiced "full on Armoured warfare" and allthough modern MBTs can fire on the move, if possible surley some direct fire keeping the enemys head down would be a bonus.

Irish

Yes they do where possible and if time permits.

Indeed hence the comment:

Still loking to sort out:

Spt Coy Locations (have MOR PL on map but need Javelin teams)

B Sqn locations (Tk Sqn holding the LD for us, BG TIGER, to conduct a Fwd POL)

Locations for ARH battle positions. May need to gain clearance to use parts of either BG Eagle or BG Pig's TAORs for this (temporary incursion only).

Because the BG will receive fire support from three locations:

1. The BG’s organic Support Coy.

2. A Troop of ARH (Atk Helo)

3. A Tk Sqn which is currently securing the forward edge of the FUP / LD and will “shoot the atk in”.

This last should provide some more interest as they aren’t off to a flank but will require the assault formation to conduct a forward passage of lines to move through the Tk Sqn’s position.

btw how does your Bn medical staff work?

Pretty much the same as for equipment.

First Aid then evac to the Company Aid post, then back to the Regt Aid Post (RAP) [this far usually by ground]. Then depending on the priority by air back to a hospital or by road through a succession of casualty stabilisation posts to the Hospital.

Lots of focus for us on AME but this is a luxury we can’t rely on.

Works fine if we have air supremacy and we have a injury per day but if the sky is contested of we start having 20+ casualties per day people can’t assume that a helo is on standby just for them. Or if the are Pri 3 then they just don’t rate one anyway.

Suspect that will be the case with your two helicopters for the BG.

Nah, let hedge take the shit he deserves! :D

Never heard of AMA before (wasnt much involved in the arty, the little we have here in sweden during my conscript time) but it makes perfect sence. A big part in controlling the battlespace and Main road and approaches, minimizing own possible casualtys and traffic jams.

Yeah, well.

Same to you too. :)

You stay out of my way & I'll do my level best to get in your way. :biggrin:

Sure happy to take nominations. So name your preference.

Thanks, Gib, but I guess that that would be too much like making a dirty dive for a plum job. I'll wait for "the day," see who shows up, and make the call then. Some of the newer players should probably get the nod for jobs they're comfortable with. We'll see what happens! :)

Well some are locked in, like Kingtiger for the Log, Hedgehog for the 9 mile sniper and no the CO’s chair is occupied. :)

Having said that I believe the Germans are looking forward to commanding some of the Mech Inf and I know that often people shy away from TP / PL commander jobs due to the extra co-ord needed.

In any event, Mission 3 will most likely be a Cav delay and given the challenges of delaying MBTs with Cav there may be a bunch of vacancies. :)

Some people just can't wait for the O Gp can they? :)

BDE recce in loc now (hence some of the feeds you saw above).

The goal is if necessary, expel the enemy for our AO (and not just push them into BG Pig's either). :)

A significant Information Operation campaign is currently underway to undermine the enemy's will to fight and to shape him into recognising the futility of his action here at the end of a long line of communication that has been cut.

Agressive, initial action on our behalf shoulde further weaken his resolve.

Most civilians have left, however we need to keep collateral damage under control as it is likely the Govt of Australia may well have to assist with the rebuilding programme.

Limited access to Engr support.

Recce parties are currently tasked with satisfying my Critical Information Requirements and information will be briefed to you by the S2 in due course.

The Tks supporting the attack will have a larger allocation of HEAT than normal though to provide some improved support against dismounted OPFOR.

Hmm, reminds me of training time:

Best way to avoid clearing a house?

Strap 2 AT-mines together...add a charge+fuse. Then pin down the defenders so you put that into a cellar window==> pull fuse ==> run for cover.

Result: No house => no house clearing. (Ok, that what we were told in training...wonder what it looks like for real :-P )

• Members
Result: No house => no house clearing. (Ok, that what we were told in training...wonder what it looks like for real :-P )

It certainly depends on the house, and the size of the cellar room. In the best case (brick construction, small cellar, small to medium sized house) you won't have to clear a house, but a pile of rubble. No guarantees however that there won't be defenders. In which case you just made your job more difficult ... with the sole exception that you leveled the playing field as far as preparedness goes. The defenders will have to orient themselves just as much as you will have to.

It's tempting, but I have my doubts that it really amounts to the equivalent of a shoot-em-up "smart bomb".

It certainly depends on the house, and the size of the cellar room. In the best case (brick construction, small cellar, small to medium sized house) you won't have to clear a house, but a pile of rubble. No guarantees however that there won't be defenders. In which case you just made your job more difficult ... with the sole exception that you leveled the playing field as far as preparedness goes. The defenders will have to orient themselves just as much as you will have to.

It's tempting, but I have my doubts that it really amounts to the equivalent of a shoot-em-up "smart bomb".

Or if the house has a celler. Almost all here (99%+) don't.

OK now have the “final” (at least for the rest of this campaign) map.

Companyteam has been burning the midnight oil and added some townships that exist in reality but didn’t make it to the map for Mission #1 (just like Raymond Terrace was built between the original map’s release and the start of Mission #1).

So now that the ground has firmed up, planning can being in earnest.

Should know tonight if I can run this on the upcoming weekend (a calendar entry will be created).

Sorry for the delay.

My Mother lost her Mum yesterday (106 so not a bad innings).

This on top of her losing her Brother 6 months ago has made life “interesting“. Currently sorting through funeral arrangements, etc. (service on Friday).

Am trying to squeeze in Red coding during lulls so that this will still be “good to go” for this coming weekend.