Map Request Thread

Mogwa

Next one to go....

If possible, I would like to do the Area of the now called GÜZ Colbitz - Letzlinger Heide near Magdeburg/GE.

We have Map of this already, but this is not very accurate and to small.

SW Coordinates are 52.25 / 11.29 and the Map should be 80 x 80 Km.

This Size is needed to have the Training Area of KLIETZ to the Northeast and the ELBE Crossings at STORKAU in the Map.

Not Tomorrow or next Week, but this Year would be nice.

Link to google Maps:

https://maps.google.de/maps?q=Haldensleben&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x47af6511d7ff55d3:0x93f18d60fb1f2468,Haldensleben&gl=de&ei=HZYbUra2HITMtAbqxYDYBQ&ved=0CJgBELYD

Hamburg would have been nuked. As would Bremerhaven, and 21 other locations in northern Germany alone - in the first three days of the war, according to exercise plans found in East German archives, ca. 1994.

Ssnake, I don't suppose you have a link to this information?

Or where one could obtain it?

Danke

Next one to go....

If possible, I would like to do the Area of the now called GÜZ Colbitz - Letzlinger Heide near Magdeburg/GE.

We have Map of this already, but this is not very accurate and to small.

SW Coordinates are 52.25 / 11.29 and the Map should be 80 x 80 Km.

This Size is needed to have the Training Area of KLIETZ to the Northeast and the ELBE Crossings at STORKAU in the Map.

Not Tomorrow or next Week, but this Year would be nice.

Link to google Maps:

https://maps.google.de/maps?q=Halden...&ved=0CJgBELYD

Is that another Border between the DDR (East Germany) and the FRG (West Germany) ?

Because that is a lot further east than I thought.

GÜZ (GefechtsÜbungsZentrum Heer = army combat training centre) near Magdeburg is the largest and most modern army training site in the united Republic of Germany.

Until 1994 it was a training site for the SU forces in (East-)Germany and the home of the SU 47th Guards tank division.

So, no cold war map :)

Official link (only German): http://www.deutschesheer.de/portal/a/ha/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP3I5EyrpHK9jNTUoviMRL2UzNS84pLiktScHL301LTU5IyS4tLUpCr9gmxHRQCo_8Cq/

• Members
Ssnake, I don't suppose you have a link to this information?

No. I read it in a Sunday issue of the Hamburger Abendblatt newspaper, and while I kept the page for a while, that was some 20 years ago. Stuart Galbraith however found a Polish war plan with a very simplified Op graphic which I'll upload here as an attachment. I think he dug it out at the "Parallel History Project" of the ETH Zürich. I suppose you could find more on that site.

wprost_bild_1000.jpg.e53ca268d257cc331ef

wprost_bild_1000.jpg.e53ca268d257cc331ef

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some Syrian map would be great since we have playable T-62 and T-72M1 now. It would be most likely kinda fun to play as rebel T-62 supported by BMP-1s and infantry ATGM squads against regime T-72M1s supported by BMP-2s and artillery and vice versa.

• 2 weeks later...

DarkAngel,

I would like to have this map for some scenarios base from the book "Red Thrust" which is through Central Europe.

redthrust_zps67b73b9e.jpg

The red circles indicate where some of the battles were from the book. The Soviets attack from the Czech border towards the town of Deggendorf.

What can I do to help?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

OK I went and had a look at the site with the data. I'll do you a deal. I'll make the base map for you (when I have a bit of spare time). If you download and zip all the 10m height data I'll need. Sorry but the site interface is too painful. We can arrange a drop box download of it once you have it done. How does that sound?.

OK I went and had a look at the site with the data. I'll do you a deal. I'll make the base map for you (when I have a bit of spare time). If you download and zip all the 10m height data I'll need. Sorry but the site interface is too painful. We can arrange a drop box download of it once you have it done. How does that sound?.

Sounds good, just tell me what you need. It's bit weird desing in that site, even for us native's :c:

So i can try to get data, just tell me what you need. Raster or text ? etc.. there is so many options.

-haukka81

As a reminder...

Use this thread to request maps of areas not included in SB. There is no guarantee that someone will immediately start the map you want, but as they like to say, at least "its on the list."

You should include the relevant information for the map. This includes the lat/long info for the southwest corner of the map. If you dont know this info then the next best course of action would be a accurate description the mapmaker can use to locate the area. A Google Earth placemark may be helpful too. If someone starts making your map they will probably get in touch with you if they need more info.

Remember the people who can make these maps are doing this on their own time, this isnt their job. It could be quite some time before your map gets made.

HTH,

Mog

The raster might be easier. You just need to make sure they come with some sort of Header file (contains the information for geolocating the data). I'm not sure whether I can use the Text version in Global Mapper. Maybe we need to find out from Zip what he used for his maps.

Ok, maybe Zip can help so i can get right files :c:

But i will download raster and look if there is "heared file etc.. :P

haukka81, just find the spot you want to be the center of the map with Google Maps and post the link here, just remember the total size should be around 30x30 kilometers, so that'll place the borders of the map 15km from the center.

I'll download and merge the files together and send it DarkAngel for you.