Map Request Thread

Mogwa

haukka81, just find the spot you want to be the center of the map with Google Maps and post the link here, just remember the total size should be around 30x30 kilometers, so that'll place the borders of the map 15km from the center.

I'll download and merge the files together and send it DarkAngel for you.

Thank YOU ; THANKS REALLY! :luxhello:

I post link here soon as i find my sweep spot. 1-2 days max :luxhello:

-EDIT-

Here is the link https://maps.google.fi/?ll=66.558646,27.80777&spn=0.479114,1.900635&t=m&z=10

And here is more accurate link: https://maps.google.fi/?ll=66.57632,27.702311&spn=0.000935,0.003712&t=m&z=19

Any of those is ok, second one is just my homeplace and would be nice center spot (where i am born :P )

-haukka81

Edited by haukka81
better link

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello map-makers. May I request further development of the stock Fulda_alt map to include major roads, rivers, and streams? If you have software that can do this, great! Doesn't have to be the whole map as my focus of interest is the Fulda district and Hunfeld. If you have to do it by hand, please don't hassle yourself. I'll gladly continue my own work.

Thanks for your consideration!

:confused:

only that I understand that right. You´re asking about the creation of 2 maps although they are completly ready and really well done ???

Why not invest the time in a project what is not done ?

I know it must sound needlessly redundant but hopefully inoffensive to Falli or Eisen'. Their amazing maps are a testament to hard, meticulous work. The motivation for me to create my own map of the regions has no bearing on the respect and gratitude I have for their contribution. My vision of this map is nowhere near as dense or accurate to real life. There will be considerable abstraction but hopefully remain authentic enough for the imagination of others. As for the location, I'm simply fixated on this particular region because of the American presence there.

It's a humble request, not a demand. If there are no volunteers in the coming weeks I will take it as a sign to just continue the the work I've already started. Though, it will take me a very long time to finish because of my schedule and also because of how long it's taking me to trace all the roads and waterways, which I've chosen to stick close to actual locations, sizes, and shapes.

• 2 months later...

Hello Dark Angel,

I'm going to take a shot at making a map request -

I'd like to get a 60km sq map with the south-west corner at:

LAT 37°37'10.87"N

LOG 121°43'53.19"W

This is an area in northern California east of the SF Bay Area so there should be a lot of extra data that can be included.

"For the US there is a lot of free data available, this includes shape data (roads, rail etc) and land coverage. From these 2 data types I can make a rough terrain map and the road network too." If you can get info into the map that indicates where roads need to go I'll add them in myself.

I know your time for this is limited so anything you can add to the map would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

A little memory aid ;-)

Next one to go....

If possible, I would like to do the Area of the now called GÜZ Colbitz - Letzlinger Heide near Magdeburg/GE.

We have Map of this already, but this is not very accurate and to small.

SW Coordinates are 52.25 / 11.29 and the Map should be 80 x 80 Km.

This Size is needed to have the Training Area of KLIETZ to the Northeast and the ELBE Crossings at STORKAU in the Map.

Not Tomorrow or next Week, but this Year would be nice.

Link to google Maps:

https://maps.google.de/maps?q=Haldensleben&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x47af6511d7ff55d3:0x93f18d60fb1f2468,Haldensleben&gl=de&ei=HZYbUra2HITMtAbqxYDYBQ&ved=0CJgBELYD

• 1 month later...
I'm new to the community and I've always wondered how two opposing mechanized forces would fight the Battle of Gettysburg. I have the lat/long if anyone is interested in giving this a try.

Welcome to the forum!

Interesting. Do you mean using civil war era tactics (everybody line up and walk toward the enemy), or modern?

Welcome to the forum!

Interesting. Do you mean using civil war era tactics (everybody line up and walk toward the enemy), or modern?

Thank you!

I'm thinking of using modern tactics and technology, but on the same terrain and using the same axis of advance that the civil war forces used during this campaign. I think it would be very interesting.

The actual battlefield in Gettysburg is just big enough for a mech-company.

If you imagine there where armies fighting there :-P

I know! That's what I was thinking too! The battle area for SB PE would have to be bigger for a good brigade size tank scenario at Gettysburg. I've been there many times and I could see maybe a mechanized battalion task force fighting there, but not more than that.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to request a map for a scenario I'm keen to develop. I've looked at the maps available in Downloads and none covers this area of Germany as far as I can tell and I've double-checked with the community separately here: http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=20652&highlight=soltau.

The south-west corner of the map should be vicinity 52°49'51.1"N 9°31'23.8"E. I'd then like it to extend north to the west of VISSELHOVDE, then east to the north of SOLTAU, then south to the west of MUNSTER, as far south as vicinity NINDORF then west through DUSHORN back to the start.

Apologies if this is not detailed enough; I'm no mapping / geography expert! Hopefully this is enough of a starter and I can then work with the map maker to make the boundaries more specific.

I'd be keen to know if a map of this region is possible and estimated timelines to develop.

Cheers

Hi,

did somebody ever tried to do the Ljubljana Gap map? If not, would be possible that someone would make it? Here is some info about cold war stuff.

The US policy was to make Yugoslavia the frontline in a war with the Soviet Union in the Balkans. US Army Chief of Staff General J. Lawton Collins visited Yugoslavia and sought to integrate Yugoslavia within NATO’s strategic military planning. Collins sought to gain Popovic’s and Tito’s agreement in coordinating Yugoslavia’s defense strategy with NATO. Both Popovic and Tito rejected coordination with NATO but left it open as an option. NATO wanted Yugoslavia to defend the so-called Ljubljana Gap in northern Slovenia. Yugoslavia instead followed a defensive strategy to “hold a continuous line running the length of Yugoslavia.” Moreover, Collins refused to provide US air support in the event of a local invasion of Yugoslavia by neighboring Soviet-allied states. Popovic wanted US aid in creating a strong Yugoslav air force. On November 7, 1951, President Truman sent $77.5 million in US military aid to Yugoslavia. A week later Yugoslavia and the US signed a military assistance agreement which made Mutual Security aid available to Yugoslavia under the Mutual Security Act (MSA) of 1951 in the Mutual Security Program (MSP).

Some references:

http://www.comitatoatlantico.it/en/studi/2957/

http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/airchronicles/aureview/1983/nov-dec/remnek.html

best regards

Dr.Jones

LjubljanaGap_rar.ff62257cc47f087f6332a4b

LjubljanaGap.rar

Hi,

did somebody ever tried to do the Ljubljana Gap map? If not, would be possible that someone would make it? Here is some info about cold war stuff.

Dr.Jones

Hi,

I checked out your kmz files. The area you have shown is way too big. For practical purposes the largest map size is 80x80km. Your area is 280x96km. If you pick a more appropriately sized area I can probably work on it.

• 2 weeks later...

What's the polite way to check on whatever progress there is on a map request?

Thanks...

Eric

Hello Dark Angel,

I'm going to take a shot at making a map request -

I'd like to get a 60km sq map with the south-west corner at:

LAT 37°37'10.87"N

LOG 121°43'53.19"W

This is an area in northern California east of the SF Bay Area so there should be a lot of extra data that can be included.

"For the US there is a lot of free data available, this includes shape data (roads, rail etc) and land coverage. From these 2 data types I can make a rough terrain map and the road network too." If you can get info into the map that indicates where roads need to go I'll add them in myself.

I know your time for this is limited so anything you can add to the map would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric