Map Request Thread

Mogwa

Look at this graphic:

mapz_zpspp3yj1ex.png

The yellow boxes are existing or planned (SB ProPE and user requested) maps in that area. The large yellow baxes are the approximate size of the largest map possible in ProPE. From looking at the map I can see that there is an east/west highway running from the interGerman border straight into Bremen and the is a large road network that converges on Hamburg. These could be places that there would be a fight.

As noted in the very first post in this thread you can use google earth to show the SW corner of a map you would like to request.

The documents folder of SB has a file to drop into Google Earth that shows many of the existing maps included with SB if your interested.

Again, a reminder, I do not make maps, I assist Dark and others as they are very busy folks working on many projects. So Im just trying to clarify what you really want so that Dark can concentrate on making maps.

Mog

First, sorry to take so long to reply.

Second, thanks to the information kindly provided to me by Eisenschwein I find that someone is already working on the area(s) I am interested in. Namely the three large yellow-outlined areas.

Third and last, I would like to thank you all, whomever you are, for making and helping to make these new maps.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Gotland is on the cards. I've got all the data i need now and have started preparing it.

The reason Palava got bumped up was because of testing this wall clip routine.

Small bump, On thursday I go for 5 weeks vacation, would be lovely to get the Gotland map any time soon so I could spend my 5 weeks making Gotland missions :thelmut:

/KT

Hi There

Could we get this map

https://www.google.dk/maps/@54.9057292,11.8576891,10z?hl=en

For a coldwar scenario with Danish battlegroups, Homeguard defence platoons, Mech Brigade, and British/US reinforcements

Kind like the small people hanging on with their fingernails until Mech / US / UK reinforcments arrive

Of course not all playable :clin:

• 2 weeks later...
Small bump, On thursday I go for 5 weeks vacation, would be lovely to get the Gotland map any time soon so I could spend my 5 weeks making Gotland missions :thelmut:

/KT

Gotland map may be a non starter, at least until after the upgrade (or till I can get a 64bit version of pro). I've tried building it in the version of pro I normally use and it causes a crash on saving (Lots of expletives after the time it took to import the dted files). I think its the size of the map. I'm trying to do 80x120km and I've never had any luck with maps of 120km.

Ah that's sad. What is a "good" size on the map then? I have talked with Alphasierra and Profevil and the interesting part of Gotland is Northern and center parts. so the South part isn't really needed to simulate battle of Gotland.

if that helps to make it smaller and workable?

/KT

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am after a map of an area in Azerbaijan centered on Mingachevir.

I would like to be able to show how effective the SB map editing tools are at work so may require little more than the plain terrain.

It would to be as big as possible but I am not sure what the limitations are. The town/city of Mingachevir and the reservoir would be towards the top left of the Map.

Is any one able to help?

80x80 km is best max imo. I can do bigger but its a lot of work. A lat long or a kmz file for the SW corner would be handy.

I would like to be able to show how effective the SB map editing tools are at work so may require little more than the plain terrain.

Good luck with that!. I would say not hugely effective, no offense intended. There is a reason I spent a lot of effort developing additional tools.

• Members

Well, if the necessary files are available in SHP and DTED format, the classroom version could be used to demonstrate the import process, which is reasonably easy. But of course the actual work lies in preparing the SHP files, although I think we made certain things a lot easier lately (e,g, the entire road network can be put into a single file rather than having to split it into one file for each road type).

Also, "effective" is a relative metric. If you're coming from an environment where every single change must be commissioned to industry via procurement procedures, even the basic map editor in SB Pro PE is a godsend.

1 hour ago, DarkAngel said:

80x80 km is best max imo. I can do bigger but its a lot of work. A lat long or a kmz file for the SW corner would be handy.

Good luck with that!. I would say not hugely effective, no offense intended. There is a reason I spent a lot of effort developing additional tools.

Lat Long for SW corner are

40.419181 / 46.811371

GPS Coord

40° 25' 9.0516'' N46° 48' 40.9356'' E

Done on this web page:

http://www.latlong.net/c/?lat=40.419181&long=46.811371

Does this help.

SSnake is right in his statement above.  The effectiveness is being able to adjust without going back to a prime for mega wads of cash and ending up with something you did not want...

If you want to show the effectiveness of the editor and not necessarily the import process how about using a pre existing, "finished" map - say Falli's Fulda or some such?

Or is the requirement to demonstrate the process from uniformed user bringing in a map and saying I need terrain of "here" and then tracking the process through to the point where trainees are fighting in the sim "here"?

I know that terrain management is one of the huge behind the scenes rub points in sim.

9 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Well, if the necessary files are available in SHP and DTED format, the classroom version could be used to demonstrate the import process, which is reasonably easy. But of course the actual work lies in preparing the SHP files, although I think we made certain things a lot easier lately (e,g, the entire road network can be put into a single file rather than having to split it into one file for each road type).

Also, "effective" is a relative metric. If you're coming from an environment where every single change must be commissioned to industry via procurement procedures, even the basic map editor in SB Pro PE is a godsend.

Yes you are right. But for the uninitiated the preparation of shp data is a massive undertaking. The worst part of which is making all of the little pieces of road into contiguous segments. The biggest part of any map though is the building placement. This is one area where the SB map editor falls very short of the mark.

• Members
1 hour ago, DarkAngel said:

The worst part of which is making all of the little pieces of road into contiguous segments. The biggest part of any map though is the building placement. This is one area where the SB map editor falls very short of the mark.

Well, there are external tools that can help, e.g. TerraTools or Trian3D builder...

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2016 at 7:40 PM, Ssnake said:

Well, we're working on a new map editor, for what it's worth, but it won't be ready before at least autumn, or possibly the end of the year.

So much to do, so little time.

Is it going to be a stand alone tool ?