Map Request Thread

Mogwa

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Swordsmandk said:

Narva/ talin or sulwaki gap 

Baltic countries in particular 

+1 That is where the Russian hammer Will fall next.

Also Any finnish LIDAR maps so all the PE users Will have something to use the upcoming release or upgrade for.

Hmmm LIDAR is sort of a mixed bag. It takes quite a bit of grunt to process it (preparing for an sb map). There is not a lot of it available in the public domain, some countries make the data available (Sweden and a couple of others). The map sizes are going to be HUGE unless it is a very small map.

On 2/8/2017 at 3:02 PM, DarkAngel said:

Hmmm LIDAR is sort of a mixed bag. It takes quite a bit of grunt to process it (preparing for an sb map). There is not a lot of it available in the public domain, some countries make the data available (Sweden and a couple of others). The map sizes are going to be HUGE unless it is a very small map.

What is need exactly by us to provide to you for new maps? Do you need map data or anything specific. 

And what does the map program do? Add roads or forrest or ?

Plz help us map requesting people understand the process for making a map.

6 hours ago, Swordsmandk said:

What is need exactly by us to provide to you for new maps? Do you need map data or anything specific. 

Very wise words ....

What Swordsman said ... +1

45 minutes ago, Nike-Ajax said:

Very wise words ....

What Swordsman said ... +1

1. DEM digital elevation model (DEM) is a digital model or 3D representation of a terrain's surface — commonly for a planet (including Earth), moon, or asteroid — created from terrain elevation data usually files, can be LIDAR , DTEM or such files from the location/country. This is the HEIGHT Map file for SB

2. Shape files for roads, buildings rivers etc. This is the Terran files for SB

3 Lat/Long data of said map request.

After the necessary files are compiled a map making person can use SB Pro to develop a map with its additional features in the map editor, and a working knowledge of said map files., here in Canada it is generally a easy find for the data, building does take a fair bit of time. Map data is different in each country, so finding it can be a pain.

If you have the data required I can find time to assist you, however I can promise anything soon, but will add to my list dep[ending on the Sq Kms involved. My project are in the SB map data base for your viewing pleasure, many of you have fought on them.

Edited by 12Alfa

8 hours ago, Swordsmandk said:

I'm not exactly sure why you are quoting me here. I was just explaining to Nike Ajax why its unlikely you will see LIDAR data based maps (for the community), at least in the short term.

I'm not going to be making anymore community request maps until the New Terrain engine is closer to release. Partly because I don't have the time at the moment. The other factor is that there is little point making maps for 4.x, with the NTE they will all need converting to new formats. I have enough of those to do without making more work for myself.

For me the map making process is this:-

1. Accumulate Data. For a standard map I go and collect the data I need Height data from SRTM or NED/NEMA (10M US data). For Vector data my first stop tends to be Open street map or one of its data access sites.
  2. Process data. This is to make sure it is all in the right projection also to separate the data types into their relevant categories (Roads, rail, buildings, terrain types). I remove any extraneous data and then aggregate the data into similar types (SB types that is).
  3. Create the Heightmap in SB Pro, Load a theme and import the basic terrain types ( separated in stage 2)
  4. Load the map as created in stage 3 into my SB mapper Pro program. In there I can import Roads and have them automatically join sections together. This is a necessary  step which used to be a long and tedious task. In SB mapper Pro I can also import walls and, if the data contains suitable data, import building files.
  5. Various tweaks and effects can be added too if i want, again using SB mapper pro.

• 3 weeks later...

I know at one time there was a height and terrain map of this ,forgot which steel beasts it was for but got the kmz point off Steel Beasts. If there is a existing map please point me to it as I have not found it anywhere. I would like to make a scenario concerning Korea in light of the current world situation.

Thank you for your time.

Uijongbu Corridor Korea 80km 1B.hgt

Location = Korea
Terrain_Map_Name = _
Height_Map_Name = Uijongbu Corridor Korea 80km 1B.hgt
Updated = 1/19/2006
Height = 79.901
Width = 79.901
UTM_S = 4171162
UTM_W = 289904
UTM_N = 4251063
UTM_E = 369805
Latitude = 37 39 49 N
Longitude = 126 37 5 E

23 hours ago, Scrapper_511 said:

The stock installation file (at least 4.109) does not include a corresponding .ter file for the Uijongbu Corridor Korea .hgt map. As far as I know, the Suweon-Osan map is the only stock Korean terrain file.

No one made a terrain for it. That was Elf's project ad he hasn't been around in years.

Thank you for informing me of the essential blank height map which was in the height folder. Found the map working on the terrain now but of course it is a time consuming job,so will be working on it as time goes on. thanks to everyone who responded.

• 1 month later...

Dear 

I'm considering producing some scenaries around Metz where Patton in 1944 struggled from sep to end november on his push toward the Rhine, some days with higher American looses than they suffered during D-Day. He was figthing an stubborn eny consisting of newly conscripted VG (Volks Guards, equal to national guard), city security units and an signal NCO and officer training school, and a single SS Div consisting of 1 Battle Group wo heavy weapons).

To do this I need the specific maps around Metz. 

1 map north Metz (49 20'05.00N  6 11'43.77E) (49 15'37.50N  6 19'00.22E) (90/95 div and 10 armd advance)

1 map South Metz (49 01.23.34N  6 05'03.34E) (48 59'19.55N  6 05'13.96E) (387, 388, 389 Reg crossing)

I saw there was a scenaria Ivo METZ (Kelly's Heroes) on the server on a very limited area of the map, so maybe somebody have or can make the maps)

Thanks 

Metz.docx

• 5 months later...

Hi 

I was involved in Op Agricola in Kosovo 1999.  I would love to see a representation of the northern mountainous border with Serbia.  I was Infantry Mechanised during this and there was a massive playground which is very interesting for armoured warfare.  It was a pitty that our fast air and Apache support left barely nothing for us!!

This area might also be of interest for the current military customers!

Thanks

Gary

1E7BCE22-F4A5-401B-A382-F0E75E7F69BB.jpeg

8A9C9869-484E-4755-B08F-6E1195645781.jpeg

5FBCE241-D62B-4A18-A836-855AD00657B3.jpeg

B1110A96-C55F-4D43-B336-02D74EEAF468.jpeg

Edited by Glock

• 4 months later...
On 10/11/2017 at 12:43 PM, KKnispel said:

Dear 

I'm considering producing some scenaries around Metz where Patton in 1944 struggled from sep to end november on his push toward the Rhine, some days with higher American looses than they suffered during D-Day. He was figthing an stubborn eny consisting of newly posted results of crazy bulk stacks conscripted VG (Volks Guards, equal to national guard), city security units and an signal NCO and officer training school, and a single SS Div consisting of 1 Battle Group wo heavy weapons).

To do this I need the specific maps around Metz. 

1 map north Metz (49 20'05.00N  6 11'43.77E) (49 15'37.50N  6 19'00.22E) (90/95 div and 10 armd advance)

1 map South Metz (49 01.23.34N  6 05'03.34E) (48 59'19.55N  6 05'13.96E) (387, 388, 389 Reg crossing)

I saw there was a scenaria Ivo METZ (Kelly's Heroes) on the server on a very limited area of the map, so maybe somebody have or can make the maps)

Thanks 

Metz.docx

I would love to see the zone around Kursk done or maybe the zone amongst Poland and Belarus for a genuine perfect WW3 feel.

Edited by RicoWoods

• 3 months later...
19 hours ago, stormrider_sp said:

Is 92.160km a fair size for a desert map?

Ok, I'd like to request a conversion of this map into SB please. If anyone with the classroom version is up for the job, it would be highly appreciated.

The map is 92.160km square which includes most of the area where VII corps made contact with the RGFC during Desert Storm

The file includes:

Heightmap grid is in .asc format, 30m/px and has been mesh denoised to remove desert noise anomalies.

Roads/Trails vectors .shp which were processed from late 1990's landsat 4/5 imagery.

Not many buildings in the desert, i'm afraid.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/595dgggl115yord/sb_irqkwtnw_92160_30mpx_dn.zip/file

Thank you very much,

Cheers

preview_800px.png