Map Request Thread

Mogwa

You can use Google Maps. Select the SW (down - left) corner of the area that will be your map. Copy the coordinates.
Then measure 100 km north and 100 km east. Publish the coordinates and height and width of the area here on the forum.

www.openstreetmap.org is a source of maps and map data. The quality varies but it is free.

• 4 months later...

I'd like to jump in and suggest a map, I have a heightmap of 50m resolution ready but I haven't quite understood what files I should get from https://extract.bbbike.org/ as recommended by DarkAngel. However when confronted with what files to download I have no clue what to use. The same goes for later when preparing it. So if someone with a bit more experience than me (0<) could guide me in the right direction with files and how to properly prepare/separate the files it would be greatly appreciated!

8 hours ago, Mr9million said:

I'd like to jump in and suggest a map, I have a heightmap of 50m resolution ready but I haven't quite understood what files I should get from https://extract.bbbike.org/ as recommended by DarkAngel. However when confronted with what files to download I have no clue what to use. The same goes for later when preparing it. So if someone with a bit more experience than me (0<) could guide me in the right direction with files and how to properly prepare/separate the files it would be greatly appreciated!

What is the map you are looking for? There's no maximum size limit, but what is accepted as the maximum handle-able size is 80x80km. My Iraq-Kuwait border map is 94x94km, but mainly because its pretty much open desert with barely any objects at all. But anyway, first things first. You need to choose a square in the map, then set the boundaries of you square of choice, then look for sources.

Sources: what you need in the order of best to worst is: LIDAR (Some places of Europe are already free), Alos Palsar (Limited resources), SRTM 30m (sort of obsolete), Aster (Noisy and full of artifacts). 50m DEM is shit, useless.

Then, you need to get an app called terraincognite and download from either googlemaps or bingmaps the land cover of the area of your interest in a zoom level (altitude) that will help you later on figuring the proper map editing and stuff. Will help you more when you have you mind-set.

Edited by stormrider_sp

12 hours ago, stormrider_sp said:

What is the map you are looking for? There's no maximum size limit, but what is accepted as the maximum handle-able size is 80x80km. My Iraq-Kuwait border map is 94x94km, but mainly because its pretty much open desert with barely any objects at all. But anyway, first things first. You need to choose a square in the map, then set the boundaries of you square of choice, then look for sources.

Sources: what you need in the order of best to worst is: LIDAR (Some places of Europe are already free), Alos Palsar (Limited resources), SRTM 30m (sort of obsolete), Aster (Noisy and full of artifacts). 50m DEM is shit, useless.

Then, you need to get an app called terraincognite and download from either googlemaps or bingmaps the land cover of the area of your interest in a zoom level (altitude) that will help you later on figuring the proper map editing and stuff. Will help you more when you have you mind-set.

I think what you call Alos Palsar is what I call Jaxa... Its pretty good and detailed data. Much less noise than SRTM30.

On 8/2/2019 at 7:58 AM, DarkAngel said:

I think what you call Alos Palsar is what I call Jaxa... Its pretty good and detailed data. Much less noise than SRTM30.

I usually get it from ASF (Alaska Satellite Facility website) which has Alos/Palsar 2006-2011 mission. Recently I came across Alos/Palsar 2 mission, 2016+ but I still couldnt get any data out of it. Where do you get it from?

Have now got Jaxa heightmaps instead and downloaded the shapefiles from bbbike.org but when I display the shapefile information in Qgis, some roads and buildings have been smeared all over the map. I tried downloading multiple times, but to no avail. Is there any way to fix his or is this a lost cause?

spacer.png

Edited by Mr9million

3 hours ago, Mr9million said:

Yep, just two more questions. (I hope). How do you determine what projection you should use and as what type of file should I export the heightmap out of global mapper?

I usually export to Elevation Grid Format Arc ASCII Grid (.asc) because it is supported by L3DT, although my demo license for the latter expired.

Edited by stormrider_sp

7 minutes ago, DarkAngel said:

UTM - WGS84 (DTED 3)

I used these setting and exported from Global mapper setting the area I wanted as the export bounds. But it just created two separate files that are seemingly identical to the .tif files I started with. How do I get it to export the area I want?

9 hours ago, Mr9million said:

Ok, now I understand. So I have the .shp and the .dt3 files, is there any more I can do myself before submitting it to this board and wait for a nice gentleman to do their magic and make it an actual map?

A few other things that you might have to look into before submitting:

Check all the roads and line objects that they will have a corresponding type in SB with the right parameters.

Same for all the area vectors like forests, surfaces, etc.

Same for all the point objects like buildings.

Its easier to do this in GIS than ingame and you can usually do in bulk.