Map Request Thread

Mogwa

19 hours ago, Nike-Ajax said:

Thank you very much - close enough, and obviously for a number of reasons we are not going to play the desert thrust, so this seems spot on.

So that just leaves the Syrian/Turkish border I guess

Just to verify: this is only a .hgt file?

It was made back in sb version 4.0xx. There is both .ter and .hgt in their respective download sections, although there isnt much of anything in the .ter other than sand and desert, roads and tracks. Since SB has always been a long term project, I have been patiently waiting for better DEM/DTM sources to become available for free in order to work on a new improved version, so for the time being we need to make do with what we have. When you convert it to 4.1xx, I recommend that you play with the themes and dont forget to check the "is Dirt" for the proper feature in order to have the fortifications to display the right texture.

Btw, do you have the military version of SB?

Edited by stormrider_sp

• 1 month later...

I had posted this back in May and stormrider_sp had responded that he might be able to help me with a map but I haven't heard back after I had told him I would like to change my map location idea so I'm not sure what happened. He might have gotten too busy to help with this. But what I'm looking for is a scenario map that I can use with the Swedish Strv 122 tank for another campaign. I spent some time looking at the coordinates on google maps and I found this area.

The SW corner is 65.801963 - 22.817025, just North of the island of Bjornholmsgrunden

The NE corner is 66.385716 - 24.208169, SouthEast corner of Lake Tormasjarvi

I would like to get the main bridge crossing the river in Overtornea in the North and most of the Hwy 98.

I would like to get the main bridge crossing the river in Tornio in the South and as much of Hwy E4 as possible.

If a map like this already exists I would like to know, otherwise is it possible to do it? I'm willing to put in all the buildings, roads & 3d objects as long as no special tools re required to do that other than the SB map editor.

Thanks!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Striker
Map idea location changed

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I see that someone asked about a Norwegian map some time ago, and one of the issues was the lack of height data above 60 Degrees latitude. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyways, while the SRTM data does not cover the higher latitudes, I have found some height data for the northern areas of Norway on a Norwegian website. But, I'm not that well versed in what file formats, data formats and whatnot is needed for usable height models.

I would appreciate it if someone that knows what they're doing (ie not me) could have a look at the page and the available formats and options, and give some insight into whether the data is good for use in maps for Steel Beasts Pro PE.

The page is from the Norwegian Mapping Authority, and it has both norwegian and english language options (globe in upper right corner on the page). I've already fiddled around with downloads from the site, and it works without any issues. So far I've only tried some small sets, but there's no payment involved and depending on the format choices I make, I get anything from a few Mbs to mane Gbs. But as mentioned, I haven't got a clue whether the formats are usable for map-making.

Link to page: https://hoydedata.no/LaserInnsyn/

Any input is much appreciated!

28 minutes ago, Seraphim008 said:

So I see that someone asked about a Norwegian map some time ago, and one of the issues was the lack of height data above 60 Degrees latitude. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyways, while the SRTM data does not cover the higher latitudes, I have found some height data for the northern areas of Norway on a Norwegian website. But, I'm not that well versed in what file formats, data formats and whatnot is needed for usable height models.

I would appreciate it if someone that knows what they're doing (ie not me) could have a look at the page and the available formats and options, and give some insight into whether the data is good for use in maps for Steel Beasts Pro PE.

The page is from the Norwegian Mapping Authority, and it has both norwegian and english language options (globe in upper right corner on the page). I've already fiddled around with downloads from the site, and it works without any issues. So far I've only tried some small sets, but there's no payment involved and depending on the format choices I make, I get anything from a few Mbs to mane Gbs. But as mentioned, I haven't got a clue whether the formats are usable for map-making.

Link to page: https://hoydedata.no/LaserInnsyn/

Any input is much appreciated!

I don't speak Norwegian so I couldn't find my way in there. If you can manage to download their DTM 10m, that'd be definitely usable.

9 minutes ago, stormrider_sp said:

I don't speak Norwegian so I couldn't find my way in there. If you can manage to download their DTM 10m, that'd be definitely usable.

Ok. DTM 10 is available, but there's still a question about project formats and compression. Btw, would DTM 30 be too coarse?

Project format has USGS DEM and GeoTIFF as options, although for some reason I get an error message whenever I choose USGS DEM.

Compression has NONE, LZW and LZ77 as options.

If you go to the dark grey "toolbar" at the top, there's a globe in the upper right hand corner that gives you the option of english language on the page, btw.

Edited by Seraphim008
More info

51 minutes ago, Seraphim008 said:

Ok. DTM 10 is available, but there's still a question about project formats and compression. Btw, would DTM 30 be too coarse?

Project format has USGS DEM and GeoTIFF as options, although for some reason I get an error message whenever I choose USGS DEM.

Compression has NONE, LZW and LZ77 as options.

If you go to the dark grey "toolbar" at the top, there's a globe in the upper right hand corner that gives you the option of english language on the page, btw.

DTM10 is already obsolete these days. It's already possible to find for free 2m or even 1m spatial resolution for both europe and us although how usable they are in Steel Beasts, I couldn't know since the heightmap import tool is still restricted to us normal consumers due to marketing/product positioning.

4 hours ago, stormrider_sp said:

I couldn't know since the heightmap import tool is still restricted to us normal consumers due to marketing/product positioning.

If you mean the commercial product is lacking some features of the military one to keep the purchase price affordable to consumers, then I guess that's correct. ;)

Edited by Gibsonm

59 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

If you mean the commercial product is lacking some features of the military one to keep the purchase price affordable to consumers, then I guess that's correct. ;)

I was actually referring to the opposite, but well, the opposite of the inverse is still the opposite, isn't it?

Right, ok 

But there are still people here with access to Professional version, that takes map requests? I'm fairly confident if I tried preparing the data necessary myself, it'd be utter bollocks in the end, and I don't have access to Professional version anyways.

If I get the right DTM/DTED data and ESRI shape files available via Google Disk, is there anyone that can handle that? I understand it can take some time to get something like this done, of course.

As I understand it, anything above 60 Degrees latitude has been out of the question due to lack of height data.

I can get DTM 10, or even DTM 1 over Norway, far north of 60 Degrees latitude, but I still need to know what "project format" and "compression" to use.

I've been trying for USGS DEM project format, but that just gives an error message, saying that the coordinate system is not compatible.

So the only option is GeoTIFF, with LZ77, LZW or NO compression.

DTM 10 is easy enough, same with DTM 1 for that matter, but as you can probably guess, the size increases. DTM 10 is a 490-500 Mb download, while DTM 1 is 35-40 Gb, for a given area that I was looking at. Definitely doable, but not much of a point if Steel Beasts can't deal with DTM 1.

And like mentioned, what would the project format be? Is GeoTIFF ok?

Same with compression, what type? LZW, LZ77 or None? 

The same site as linked to above also provides DTED data, but that's DTED 30, which in my head doesn't sound like it'd rip the skin off the sausage, but what do I know... 🤔

Final question:

Is there a limit to how large maps can be prepared? I mean, the limit for SB missions/scenarios is fair enough, but is there a "good practice size" for making the map workable and easier to handle?

I read back a bit that 120x120 km was a limit; is that the largest that the map import of SB can handle?

Anyone? 🙂

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

What's going on in this thread???? It's become pointless. 

@Skoop

@Mattbones

@bloodycut

@Kilo60

Gents - please follow the guidelines of the thread and not turn this into Wishlist #2. 

It seems like this thread has been dominated by people posting the names of random geographic locations - instead of actual requests in the format that has been specific.

It also seems like nobody is actually fulfilling any of these request. I know I've asked for two maps here in the proper format- and nobody has ever responded to me - One request actually went fulfilled by someone who reached out to me privately. 

You are correct, map requests have been fulfilled.

Why

The person (request) followed the format providing the required data was provided to map builders.

If a request is made, and no data is provided, the request does not advance to the building stage.

I myself have done a few as requested, but, they followed the requirements. 

Asking for a map loc, without any data is not advancing past the request.

If you, or anyone can provide some data to said loc I will (as in the past) entertain this map project, as I and other have stated in this thread .....a few times.

My last request that had high level LIDAR data, has still not surfaced in the community, that has me rethink my efforts/time. 

How ever, the work continues, much like Z tanks.  :)

I see your new to this thing called the internet. Let me explain for you,,,,,,,,,,slowly.

There are , rare to be sure, when the user has no control what this (internet) does to posts, pictures, and posted links do. Said users thinks they post, and the internet can/does 1-the opposite, or 2.nothing at all.

You may find this tip going forward helpful. Or not. :)

I posted the link so, that others would be directed to more details to "requesting maps, and what is required", nothing more.

If humans read it differently, I have no control of the reading or critical thinking skills.

I would enjoy, as others, if you could give some advice on this map request.

image.thumb.jpeg.1421958431d6b783660a0e458ceb41f3.jpeg

Disclaimer: Some will find this tip useful, some my take offence . No pre-judgement was inferred by myself.

Edited by 12Alfa

• 7 months later...

HI For NOLA- I want to refight the battle of New Orleans.  I have the map data from  https://maps.ga.lsu.edu/lidar2000/#2909008ne and can get a map of the area at the time to populate with appropraite roads.

S.w corner (Approx Home Depo by Super Dome) is 29.947968612 -90.08583591 

I'd like the French Quarter and the area to the east.  

I'd live to learn how to import the data myself.

Gracias  12A! I live in NOLA  712 Touro St the area is known as The Marigny  or Farburge Marigny.  I'd like to simulate a what if , where the British brake the American lines in Chalmette and advance on NOLA, the fighting would have literally been though my back yard.

Ultimate goal is to populate a small slice of the area and then grow the map with improvements over time  and refight the battle in odd ball configurations- Like - the Museum prices at the LA National Guard HQ  at Jackson Barracks are all you have to fight off a 1999 Soviet MRR.  You likely get my goal.

I'd live to learn the nuts and bolts on how to do this if you are willing to teach me.    

I was a Lt in 3-66 AR and 1-22 IN the AWE at Ft Hood in the late 90's so this shit is interesting to me.  I have come back to this sim many times over the years and I am back now and want to stretch out with this bad ass tool.