Map Request Thread

Mogwa

Cleveland ???

Welp, Cleveland County, NC anyways.. it encompasses the battle site at Kings Mountain back in the revolution.. Some interesting history.

Historians consider the Battle of Kings Mountain to be the "turning point in the South" in America's War for Independence. The victory of Patriots over Loyalist troops destroyed the left wing of Cornwallis army. The battle also effectively ended, at least temporarily, the British advance into North Carolina. Lord Cornwallis was forced to retreat from Charlotte into South Carolina to wait for reinforcements. The victory of the Overmountain Men allowed General Nathaniel Greene the opportunity to reorganize the American Army.

When British General Henry Clinton learned of his men's defeat at Kings Mountain, he is reported to have called it "the first link of a chain of evils" that he feared might lead to the collapse of the British plans to quash the Patriot rebellion. He was right. American forces went on to defeat the British ar Cowpens. A little more than a year after Kings Mountain, Washington accepted Cornwallis's surrender at Yorktown, Virginia.

The North Carolina city of Kings Mountain used to be called White Plains. When the city was incorporated in 1874, Mrs. James Wright Tracey decided that Kings Mountain would be a more appropriate name since the community was the closest town to the mountain.

The City of Shelby is named for Isaac Shelby. Many streets in Shelby including Washington, Lafayette and Marion, are named for Revolutionary War heroes.

Shelby and Kings Mountain are in Cleveland County, which was named for Benjamin Cleveland. The county was formed in 1841 and until 1885, spelled its name "Cleaveland," just the way the colonel spelled his name. However, in 1885, Grover Cleveland became president and there was some confusion over the spelling of the county's name. In 1887, a special bill was passed in the North Carolina General Assembly which authorized the elimination of the letter a.

The mountain remains and is a very distinct feature of the area seen for miles. Rolling hills till the Blue Ridge to it's west. Then the largest Mountain range on the eastern coast, the Appalachians. Would most likely make another battlefield today comming out of Charlotte, if fate had it's chance. History has the habit of repeating itself.

And..that's probably more information then you cared to know..;)

Edited by Fuby

Thanks DarkAngel, what kind of data did you mean? Heightmap? Some time ago I could "clean up" aster data using a Denoise software. Is that what you are refering to? Regarding roads data that is a bit more tricky but I'll see what I can find.

Sorry I missed this. Height data is no problem, I can clean up and manipulate that. Its vector data which is worth its weight in gold. I have been using the OSM data of recent but the coverage of Brazil compared to Europe is very sketchy. I was basically wondering if there is like a "Geoscience Brazil" website as there is for many other countries (UK, US, Canada, Australia etc).

Did you check whether the positioning of that map was where you wanted it?. It seems like there may be a bit too much of the mountain region to the north.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry I missed this. Height data is no problem, I can clean up and manipulate that. Its vector data which is worth its weight in gold. I have been using the OSM data of recent but the coverage of Brazil compared to Europe is very sketchy. I was basically wondering if there is like a "Geoscience Brazil" website as there is for many other countries (UK, US, Canada, Australia etc).

Did you check whether the positioning of that map was where you wanted it?. It seems like there may be a bit too much of the mountain region to the north.

Thanks for your reply Dark Angel, I currently looking for vector sources. Its a bit difficult because they end up being either military sources or paper printed.

Regarding the positioning, you're right, there is just a bit too much mountains. The perfect center, given the current dimension would be:

-29.848379 lat

-54.059425 long

I've found so far this too, but dont know how useable they are:

http://www.gismaps.com.br/english/shape.htm

ftp://geoftp.ibge.gov.br/mapas_tematicos/fisico/unidades_federacao/rs_fisico.pdf

cheers and thanks for you effort

• 1 month later...

Looking for someone to donate a (flat) height map with the correct grids for Fort Dix, New Jersey, USA

Northwest Corner

40° 03'00" N

74° 40'00" W

Northeast Corner

40° 03'00" N

74° 24'00" W

Southwest Corner

39° 56'30" N

74° 40'00" W

Southeast Corner

39° 56'30" N

74° 24'00" W

Thank in advance!

Thanks in advance

Right, the available data has improved a lot in that time. Its still probably worth re-creating the height map, even just importing new data into the same file (though you are then stuck with whatever compression has been set. Send me the heightmap and I'll have a look.

Had also forgotten about it!.

From my perspective here is what I would need to make a basic map.

• South west corner either as Lat/Long or as a Google earth marker.
  • Dimensions of the map required (SB allows sizes in 2km increments from 12km to 120km per side, maps over 80km though are not easy to deal with).
  • Patience, It will take me a while to get all the data together.
  • Possibly an occasional reminder as I usually have a few irons in the fire at any one time.

Hi Darkangel,

i dream since starting SB in 2006 of making a map of my hometown "Schwäbsich Hall" ins Southern Germany:

south-west corner: x=544704; y= 5436382

dimension: 30 km

patience: i'm waiting lonely ;-)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Dark, can you do a height map of the area around Kandahar Airfield? I think I sent you the DTED data already, I just forgot about it until this topic came up.

Also, people should realize that they'll likely just be getting a height map. All the woods, roads, buildings etc, will have to be created seperately by those making the request. After you've done it once, you probably won't want to do it again. :wink:

Woods? What woods?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
It's problematic because the official map data are copyright protected by the National Danish Topographic Authority (or whatever their name is). The army has a license to use the map data free of charge, but the license ends right there. For their own use only.

We tried to get the island of Bornholm once, but it turned out to be way too costly for us.

Actually I think that they have recently made all of their data available to the public.

http://www.gst.dk/English/

• 1 month later...
You should include the relevant information for the map. This includes the lat/long info for the southwest corner of the map. If you dont know this info then the next best course of action would be a accurate description the mapmaker can use to locate the area. A Google Earth placemark may be helpful too. If someone starts making your map they will probably get in touch with you if they need more info.

bump