Map Request Thread

Mogwa

With new 4.0 batch of vehicles ( T72 family in particular) i started thinking about campaign with a bit unique setting. Instead of classical blue NATO on red WP event, i thought of using more realistic boiling point and opposing forces so i turned on towards Balkans ( KFOR vs Russia/Serbia scenarios ).

However it would be cool to use actual terrain from southern Serbia and Kosovo. My main question is  what data do you ppl need in order to produce terrain map i can use to create campaign? If i understood whole process right I give you coordinates, and you can make terrain map where i can then add villages & woods etc..

I set my eyes on specific valley connecting Kosovo capital, Pristina, and central Serbia, so will standard coordinates do the trick:? Also how much can area be big? I could squeeze everything in 8x16  km map oriented north - south, but if limits allow 15x30 would be awesome since then there would be multiple valleys covered. More axis of approach for attacker.

This is my first time asking for terrain map so please bear with me :)

For start any rectangular area centered around  E43°13'4.12 N 20°41'35.34 will do the trick.  5-8 km wide and 15-18 km long N-S axis for example

That`s probably going to be too small. Think more in terms of a 50x50km or 80x80km centered where you want it. If you only want to populate the central part that`s fine but its better to make a larger map (effort to result scale). If you look at the sort of base maps I can create as a base (where the data is available) I can supply a reasonably well detailed map.

I am not going to be able to make any maps though until the end of this current beta cycle.

BTW the coordinates you have supplied are in the middle of Saudi Arabia!!

Edited by DarkAngel
error

Without any wish to start political discussion and similar crap here i can give you my point of view: back then i was just 15 y old so take it with bit of salt :)

Since we had civil war raging for nearly 10 years - yes there were many uses of IFVs and tanks all over the place :)

In more flat areas ( Slavonia area, north of country ) and  in Bosnia ( mountain region) and on Kosovo as well ( hills and valleys from topographic map above) With more or less success. For example JNA`s attempt to rush suburb of Vukovar with M84 failed miserably due to no infantry support and healthy supplies of modern AT shoulder launchers supplied to Croatia.. But usage of ancient T55A worked well in rural hilly areas in Bosnia and Kosovo due to lack of At weapons and tactics. On many cases those tanks were used as support arty firing across the open fields from hill to hill as area suppression without any particular aiming through sights etc. but by simple fire, observe, adjust , fire again.

So, it was chaotic and all over the place as in any (civil) war. Tanks were used just where regular armies had access ( JNA and Croatian army) . Not where other militant groups were fighting since they didnt had any armor, short of few BMP clones made here ( M80 is the designation i think ) and BRDMs with 3x 20mm cannon in AAA variant.

Campaign i wanted to do would be placed in post war years where you have mixed bag of KFOR, local Serbs, local ANA terrorists and regular Albanian and Serbian armies. Each with their own agenda and controlled territory More similar to low intensity war as in Iraq or Syria. Not massive clashes of armor.

Edit: I forgot to ask: if you make this map before  4.0 is released, will i have to bug you again to do the conversation to 4.0 terrain, or my SB client will be able to do that on its own?

Edited by BigBadVuk

Great answer BigBadVuk. :) That is pretty much what I wanted to know. Cause so often if possible...  tanks would go / to to go to terrain where those are actually usable.

Also what I found after wards that there seems to have been pretty much anything on last few tens of years. T55, Leopard1, challenger 1... bmp's btr's and list goes on. Would be definitely great addition to maps.

Although, I think that making a scenario can be painful if terrain is very... - erm...  "restrictive" to use of AFVs. 

Yet if done well, missions can be great and very immersive

Tank units used here were much more smaller then what would be the standard Nato-WP conflict. Instead of tank armies and divisions we have armor companies and battalions at max. supporting infantry battalion or company. A bit more easier to control in SB :). Especially for SP scrubs like me :) which are not used to radio cacophony of 10+ unit commanders yelling and issuing orders..

17 hours ago, DarkAngel said:

I've asked before, can you please keep these discussions out of this thread. It makes it too hard to find the actual requests. If you want to discuss a map, even a speculative one, please do so in a separate thread.

IM sorry but if im asked I will reply

And if posts are off topic, i expect moderators to react and move them promptly, or there is some system where you can report "bad posts" for them along with suggestion what is violating exact rules of this board etc. We, as players can concentrate on actual design of this maps :)

Feel free to poke me as soon as you can produce them 

Edited by BigBadVuk

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2016 at 1:24 PM, CharlieB said:

Lat Long for SW corner are

40.419181 / 46.811371

GPS Coord

40° 25' 9.0516'' N46° 48' 40.9356'' E

Done on this web page:

http://www.latlong.net/c/?lat=40.419181&long=46.811371

Does this help.

SSnake is right in his statement above.  The effectiveness is being able to adjust without going back to a prime for mega wads of cash and ending up with something you did not want...

Dark,

Did you get anywhere with this one?

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 8:42 AM, Hedgehog said:

Here, please:

http://www.latlong.net/c/?lat=50.931482&long=-1.088676

Where does one get the DTED data for Mr. Dark?

Specifically the Petersfield / Midhurst / Petworth Valley.

(Its nice rolling hills tank country.)

2016-05-11 13_39_53-Google Maps.png

I think there's a military training area close to there as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 22/10/2016 at 5:23 AM, CharlieB said:

Dark,

Any chance of another map to the south of Salisbury plain.  If you are able to do 80km x 80km again, that would be awesome.

Finished with the Azerbaijan map already?

As hedge says there is another map in this area which Crusty is or was working on (See attached kmz). With this in existence and with the Salisbury plain map from Stuart666 this map would be redundant.

Lullworth_map.kmz

Just now, DarkAngel said:

Finished with the Azerbaijan map already?

As hedge says there is another map in this area which Crusty is or was working on (See attached kmz). With this in existence and with the Salisbury plain map from Stuart666 this map would be redundant.

Lullworth_map.kmz

Nope, Still working with the Azergaijan map.

I had built some scenarios at work, which might be fun to convert into SB missions...