T-72B and AT-11B

Companion

Yes, yet another whining thread...

I don't know why but T-72B's spotting ability seems, to exaggerate a bit, awkwardly worse than a buttoned up and charging T-34

Well, it can certainly hit targets with reasonable accuracy but the problem is it cannot see a barn door unless I shoved it right in its face :decu:

Maybe it has something to do with the AI tank commander's behavior with its commander's peri? (it's usually forever slaved to turret front)

Also, sometimes T-72Bs shoot commander's 12.7mm "off-bore" from its barrel...

And about AT-11B - it seems the missile has been credited with 1300mm RHAe for penetration value. Well, I'm no expert but isn't it a bit optimistic for a 125mm warhead? If my memory is correct, previous versions gave same 700mm value for both sniper missiles. What made such a radical jump in performance?

the high RHAe of the AT-11b is a hack because SB doesn't properly simulate ERA, and tandem warheads.

therefore most of the tandem warheads in SB has fairly disproportionately large RHAe values.

we have some ideas on how to fix this problem, but it hasn't been done yet because of lack of time.

• Members
I don't know why but T-72B's spotting ability seems, to exaggerate a bit, awkwardly worse than a buttoned up and charging T-34

Well, it can certainly hit targets with reasonable accuracy but the problem is it cannot see a barn door unless I shoved it right in its face :decu:

That may be related to a bug that we found a few weeks ago which has the general potential to make computer-controlled units very bad at spotting some targets in plain sight under certain circumstances.

As much as I love to bash the military about their sub par bug reporting habits, this one was actually documented in a near-perfect fashion with a test scenario and a fraps video showing the situation and could therefore be addressed swiftly.

I'm saying this because...

Maybe it has something to do with the AI tank commander's behavior with its commander's peri? (it's usually forever slaved to turret front)

...suggestions like these aren't really helping us. This is an unrelated issue (still one that deserves to be addressed, and I think it's already in the bug tracking database, so the first step has been done to remedy the periscope thing). Instead of speculating about the cause (which can't be made certain without a debugger anyway), it would be infinitely more helpful to submit a test scenario involving as few units as possible to demonstrate the fault as soon as possible into the scenario play time. Ideally, combine this with a screenshot or some other means to illustrate the problem. Stick to the facts, try to be precise. The better your reporting, the better our chances to deal with the bug quickly and efficiently.

Also, sometimes T-72Bs shoot commander's 12.7mm "off-bore" from its barrel...

Not sure about this one. May be that it's also in Bugzilla already (I seem to remember reading something similar), but the better you can show what you mean (see above) the better our chances to help.

Raino explained the rest, and yes, it was meant as a temporary stop-gap solution (and arguably it worked for a while). It has been identified as a point where we need to make some progress now.

I'm not sure how I can properly make a mission to show spotting bug... glad it's been reported and being worked out already.

About "off-bore" shooting, I meant I saw HMG bullets flying at weird angles from the HMG muzzle rather than flying straight.

Well, I was wrong... the HMG was actually firing backward to the direction where the commander's peri was heading...

attached is a test mission with a lone T-72B, turret damaged, with nothing but unlimited HMG ammo surrounded by a group of blind infantry.

Watch where the HMG bullets are flying to and you'll see what I meant.

Hope this helps.

56e83ca06c319_T-72Bhmgbugtest_zip.aa2cd7

T-72B hmg bug test.zip

• Moderators
Well, right now it's a dnd-type save-or-die death ray, punching holes on Challenger 2 turret faces, glacis, etc.

Use a different missile in that match up. If you are talking about a tandem warhead missile, then (at the moment) the missile selection vs. vehicle selection is very important. Simply put, use the tandem warhead missiles when there are ERA equipped vehicles on the other side. If you want to know what has a tandem warhead, it is generally every ATGM with HEAT > 1000 RHA. As Raino said, this is one thing that needs to be improved -- it is on the list. But it goes to show that picking the correct missile type in relation to the type of targets on the other side is extremely important at the moment.

Re: the TC's Peri that you say is slaved to the front, that is correct but it is only for looks AFAICR. The AI TC is using it -- it is scanning with it but visually you don't see it moving. Obviously this is an area to improve on for visual feedback purposes, but the way the system works is the AI TC has a flag which simply allows the AI TC to look around independently with thermal capable eyes. The peri needs to be slaved to his eyes.

About "off-bore" shooting, I meant I saw HMG bullets flying at weird angles from the HMG muzzle rather than flying straight.

Well, I was wrong... the HMG was actually firing backward to the direction where the commander's peri was heading...

attached is a test mission with a lone T-72B, turret damaged, with nothing but unlimited HMG ammo surrounded by a group of blind infantry.

Watch where the HMG bullets are flying to and you'll see what I meant.

Yes, that has been fixed months ago for the next update (on several T-72s). The HMG is purely visual, and something was reversed in its orientation, or it had something to do with its starting position pointing to the rear, I don't remember which.

• Moderators
"Also, sometimes T-72Bs shoot commander's 12.7mm "off-bore" from its barrel..."

I think what he is saying is when the commander's 12.7mm fires the bullets (tracers) hit 180 degrees in the other direction.

Atleast this is what happens for me.

Right, like I said, this has been fixed for the next version. ;)