Aust CO-OP Campaign - Thoughts Mission #3

Gibsonm

The end of Mission 2 sees BG TIGER pretty much culminated and occupying the following positions:

ADF_2h.jpg

CO TIGER withdraws B Coy to a more economic line out of the suburbs. OC B reckons his men should stay and provide a firm foothold for the last clearance of the port facilities to their East and South.

The boys of B Coy withdraw grudgingly after OC B Coy's protest is noted by the CO.

A few days later, in the midst of a few days of rotten weather, the Mech Coy tasked with the security of RAAF WILLIAMTOWN receives reports from the slowly returning locals of lots of movement down on the beach nearby.

The OC takes a PL with him to conduct a search and soon a firefight breaks out.

The Coy 2IC gets a SITREP from the OC about tanks on the beach but the radio goes dead. Moments later a M113AS4 crests the line of dunes making its way to the airbase but explodes in flames. The sea breeze brings the crack of a tank gun to the ears of the CAPT now in command of the Coy(-).

Before the EW takes full effect, The BDE COMD is given some sketchy details.

It appears that a sizeable Mech force has landed at STOCKTON BEACH and seems to be making its way towards the crossing points off the peninsula, they have isolated the airbase but apart from an unsuccessful “Encounter Battle” off the line of march, have yet to put in a quick or deliberate attack.

There have also been ‘phone reports from locals in RAYMOND TERRACE of “funny helicopters” dropping troops off nearby. He is aware of no friendly aviation tasking for today.

He orders the 2 CAV Sqn to advance to contact to determine the size and intent of this incursion and then to impose delay on this force IOT deny it easy access to the crossing points.

He orders the Mech Inf Coy tasked with Rear Area Security Operations (RASO) to move to RAYMOND TERRACE with a BPT clear mission.

The Coy OC is tasked to back brief him on the risks of using the quick route along the PACIFIC HWY (but with the risk of being caught on the wrong side of the crossings) or the longer, safer, Western route.

He knows 2 CAV can’t impose much delay on Tks so he commits the BDE RES, a Tk Sqn, to move to the crossing points near HEXHAM and further East to ensure 2 CAV has a firm base to withdraw through. This is only a temporary measure and he “crashes” BG BOAR’s notice to move so they can bring some boots on the ground in to actually hold the bridges.

They however are some distance off.

Happy that he will be able to contain this incursion and asking his superiors where the Navy has been in all this, he hears reports from B Coy, BG TIGER, that a “sizeable” Tk force has broken out of the warehouses near the water’s edge and appear to be making for the same crossings as the BDE RES that he has just dispatched.

Looks like CO TIGER was right to “shorten the line” ....

ADF_3a.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah sh*t!

That Tk Coy in the south is heading for our precious Howitzers!

If that Friendly Tank Sqn Reserve can hold them back while giving them a bloody nose.

The Arty should be good to setup in "relative" safety and give the Reds a thick ear they won't soon forget.

Otherwise it looks like we may have to use that Direct Fire, again.

I.E. Up sh*t creek without a paddle. :)

And can we please have a contingency for Enemy raiders?

Ah sh*t!

That Tk Coy in the south is heading for our precious Howitzers!

If that Friendly Tank Sqn Reserve can hold them back while giving them a bloody nose.

The Arty should be good to setup in "relative" safety and give the Reds a thick ear they won't soon forget.

Otherwise it looks like we may have to use that Direct Fire, again.

I.E. Up sh*t creek without a paddle. :)

Your assuming the guns haven’t moved. Some time has passed since Mission #2.

And can we please have a contingency for Enemy raiders?

Well you did.

Wasn’t my fault Kingtiger moved the echelon without asking. :)

M88s are a pretty good mobile pill box against light infantry.

Oh and there were 4 x ARH less than 2 km away that no one asked for. And as you were the guy to ask, I would have thought you would have approved it. :)

16 Apr I'm planning to be in London for Salute.

So no can do, I think my Andriod phone would struggle with SB Pro.

Well you did.

It was lucky I wasn't committed elsewhere.

Oh and there were 4 x ARH less than 2 km away that no one asked for. And as you were the guy to ask, I would have thought you would have approved it. :)

Mental note, request all avaliable assets are handed over ASAP.

Still it would've been over before they lined up their shots.

So where are our (my) guns? :)

So where are our (my) guns? :)

Don’t you know?

Mental note - sack BC.

Seriously as its a while off, I’ve been looking at other stuff (like work, etc.) and haven’t really got down to the detail.

As its primarily 2 CAVs AO you may not be ME (stuff might be happening elsewhere) so you may be back to the three TPs from the first Mission or some variation.

Perhaps given their sterling effort in the direct fire role last time, I‘ll re task them as assault guns? :)

Don’t you know?

Mental note - sack BC.

Seriously as its a while off, I’ve been looking at other stuff (like work, etc.) and haven’t really got down to the detail.

As its primarily 2 CAVs AO you may not be ME (stuff might be happening elsewhere) so you may be back to the three TPs from the first Mission or some variation.

Perhaps given their sterling effort in the direct fire role last time, I‘ll re task them as assault guns? :)

Well if I know my guys, either down on the beach, in the local brothel, or propping up the Bar. Or a combination thereof.

Maybe you could use f.e. Leo1 or Centauro's with a propper ammo loadout as placeholder for the guns (just remove TIS and FCS).

This way they a better suited for the emergency direct fire role :smile:

Well I did ask for Leo 2A4s as a proxy for 'ambience' but he say: "nyet camrade"

• 2 weeks later...
Just a quick update.

1. Campaign NOT abandoned.

2. Next mission may be held while I'm at ITEC in Koln otherwise shortly after my return from there.

Oh I think we can wait for our CO to get back from his Pow-Wow with the Aus PM.

We're doing OK so far...*hic* :drink:

Just a quick update.

1. Campaign NOT abandoned.

2. Next mission may be held while I'm at ITEC in Koln otherwise shortly after my return from there.

Further to my last, what are the rough time frames for ITEC/Koln and your return date? I'd like to block book the dates here to ensure my participation. Thx.

Well the trip is 06 - 16 May however I have no idea about the schedule once I get there so I purposely haven’t published suspect dates that I may not be able to commit too.

So while there maybe “spare time” it may well be taken up with “deep and meaningful development chats” at some local Tavern or some impromptu LAN game while there (both of which I’ve heard about from earlier ITEC sessions).

Also until I get there I have no idea about Internet availability, etc. and as I’ll be taking my Laptop and have no idea about the hotel’s router settings, etc. I don’t want to:

1. Promise its on on X date but find that I can’t due to a hotel firewall.

2. Be able to host it but find I’m paying outrageous Internet rates at the hotel.

The worst scenario would be giving it to Zipuli to host and then find that I couldn’t even participate on a given date / time.

The time frame as published earlier is pretty much no change (i.e. nothing before the 6th) then after my return depends on what I’ve been “volunteered for” in my absence.

Certainly work is continuing on the 3rd Mission (about to crack it open having discharged all my ANZAC Day responsibilities) but I’m afraid I currently can’t give a cast iron “Mission 3 will be on X date” statement until I get back home.

Sorry.

I don’t want to:

2. Be able to host it but find I’m paying outrageous Internet rates at the hotel.

This is a certain fact, up there with: "The sun rises in the East."

RE Mission 3:

I'm sure the boys will find something to do......

Oh No, They've only cobbled together a giant Clay Target Cat.

The time frame as published earlier is pretty much no change (i.e. nothing before the 6th) then after my return depends on what I’ve been “volunteered for” in my absence.

Certainly work is continuing on the 3rd Mission (about to crack it open having discharged all my ANZAC Day responsibilities) but I’m afraid I currently can’t give a cast iron “Mission 3 will be on X date” statement until I get back home.

This is good int for me, as I don't have much on the books mid-May through end-June. Looking forward to Mission 3! :@!3:

• 1 month later...

Indeed!

I’ve finally got out from under the stuff that piled up in my absence and should be able to get an update out this weekend.

I’ve run the Red plan once (may need to tone it done a bit so its still a “delay“ as opposed to a “rout“ :)) and it looks pretty good.

So it should be “just” a case of tweak Red, setup Blue and issue the briefing / SITREP.

Perhaps to be played over weekend 11 / 12 June?

Would your server (and the combat cameraman) be available then?

Edited by Gibsonm